Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM

87 posts, read 106,541 times

Advertisements

and capitalize on their Great Lakes location? One would think with the depressed economy that they would begin to develop some lake front beach oriented hotels and tourism magnets to harness the Lake Ontario frontage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
and capitalize on their Great Lakes location? One would think with the depressed economy that they would begin to develop some lake front beach oriented hotels and tourism magnets to harness the Lake Ontario frontage.
Its called the 1000 Islands on the ST. Lawrence and its not the ocean either. It would draw more local tourism than anything and we need more people for that.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Its called the 1000 Islands on the ST. Lawrence and its not the ocean either. It would draw more local tourism than anything and we need more people for that.
There are hundreds more miles of waterfront on Lake Ontario. Considering the grim economic outlook for the are one would think they would seek to capitalize on the lake front.

Moderator cut: copyrighted photo

The 1000 Islands isnt in the western part of NY, just an FYI

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-16-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Yes, and I've never understood why the Finger Lakes region wasn't more developed either. It would be an outstanding draw for tourists (yes, I know they get some)...seems to me nobody in the area really wants growth, it's been that way for decades. If you look at the New England states, which have not that much more to offer, they appeal to tourists with their lakes, quaint little towns and shops, etc. They don't have any more going for them than the Finger Lakes region, but they promote themselves, esp during the fall foliage season.

I've always thought that Rochester should change its name to something cooler, maybe it would hold more appeal. It's all image and perception.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Yes, and I've never understood why the Finger Lakes region wasn't more developed either. It would be an outstanding draw for tourists (yes, I know they get some)...seems to me nobody in the area really wants growth, it's been that way for decades. If you look at the New England states, which have not that much more to offer, they appeal to tourists with their lakes, quaint little towns and shops, etc. They don't have any more going for them than the Finger Lakes region, but they promote themselves, esp during the fall foliage season.

I've always thought that Rochester should change its name to something cooler, maybe it would hold more appeal. It's all image and perception.

Bravo

Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
The finger lakes are already a pretty big draw for tourism. The big draw is that it's not built up. You can rent a quiet lakehouse for a weekend and go on wine tours. According to the Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance, tourism there is a multi billion dollar industry.
I don't think Lake Ontario would be a big draw for outsiders as most of the large populations surrounding Lake Ontario already have large bodies of water. NYC and Boston are by the Ocean. Philly is by the Jersey Shore. Toronto is already on the lake.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 104,635 times
Agree that the region should promote the Finger Lakes area more, but I would rather not see big development. Ideal location for those that want to go on vaca away from the big developments.

The weather on Lake Ontario is tourist friendly for about 2 months a year. Probably not worth the cost of development. Who would go? From what part of the country? Why would they choose to go to Lake Ontario?

Change name to something cooler? I have never heard the name of anyplace and said "Wow..that must be one cool city". I would love to hear your suggestions. How about these..Fantasmic, Rocktabulous, GetAClue, etc???

Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
i'd be cool with more aggressive promotion of the finger lakes, the parks, camping, wineries, etc in the area

but please no more development of a major scale - you can't mass develop charm

there is already a pretty strong tourism base, but it could always be stronger

and if it is stronger maybe they could rip out a few of those obnoxious wind mills that are popping up on the top of hills

Old 12-16-2009, 04:32 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
kinda like saying I would like a Disneyland close by but don't build it

Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
I bet if Rochester got a big tourist boat...maybe a ferry of some sort, that made trips to Canada..I think alot of people would enjoy that...they could even build a ferry terminal with shops and stores and restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area