U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,855,705 times

Advertisements

Seems Bob has had enough of a failing school district on his clock so he's going to fight to take it over...funny, it's reported the teacher's union will be his bigger obstacle...go figure

I think it's a great idea and wish the man well. Too much goes on within that district that goes unanswered IMO....
I'm behind him 100 percent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,899,188 times
The district is run by incompetent corrupt persons. The city should take over and clean house, getting rid of most administration as they are useless. Too bad the unions will probably put up a fight.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,486,588 times
This is interesting.

Let me make a few pointers on the current city school situation:
- ~50% graduation rate.
- $22,000 per student spent
- 73% of the city property tax budget
- Numerous financial problems including, unauthorized bonuses, payment for contracts not fulfilled, contracts awarded without board approval, contractors used had personal relationships with officers and financial auditors not doing their job.
- Bi-partisan system
- Predominately African-American (not being racist, but it plays into the politics of the system)

So basically, we are not getting our monies worth and education continues to decline. Duffy is basically saying that the school system is so bad that we are not allowing public opinion. A graduation rate of 50% is downright horrible, that means that one out of two people are basically saying the streets are better than a job. Currently some of the members of the board are people who don't even live in the city, white suburban representing African-American urbanites (which is why I said race is political).

The problems I have with Duffy on this. Why is he doing this after four years, he has made attempts in the past to expand the school board for more control? Can the city handle the extra burden? To some degree, (I am semi-conservative), I don't agree with taking people out of the voting process.

What I like about this, a step toward consolidation. This will speed things up and create one less layer of government. The schools will be represented by the city and not the suburbanites. The biggest comment I have toward all of this is, a 50% graduation rate. This is terrible, so we have nowhere to go but up. If the school board can't do it, and keeps pissing away money on projects and poor education, why do we need them? We don't need a school board AND a city board to blow away money. I would hope that if the schools start to do better in the future, that the city reinstates voting rights.

I live in the city, but don't have any children. If I had a child, under no circumstances would he/she attend a middle/high school in the city. I hope some others can give some opinions on the school district subject.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM

455 posts, read 1,397,706 times
I agree with much of your thoughts cheese. The sad part is, the 50% graduation rate is UP from where it had been. The other major problem, following what you commented on, is that people (the public) are sheep... with over the past 2 decades (at least) worth of dropouts, graduates, drug addicts, gang bangers and those on public assistance (none are mutually exclusive) having the voting power... they are the absolute wrong people to have the future of the city in their hands.

Most people think that if you keep throwing more money at a situation, it'll fix it. We've proven this wrong, time and time again. There are other, larger, more urban school districts throughout the country that routinely spend less and achieve more.

The problem isn't limited to the city either, the suburbs face the same problem (though not quite the same issue with graduation rates). For example, in late 2008 East Irondequoit passed a capital project ("Generational Project") to build a number of new sports fields and enhance many of the athletic facilities in the high school to the tune of $72 Million dollars. Was any of this critical to the education of the students, No. Was any of this going to significantly impact the growing obesity epidemic affecting the country, No. Yet it was overwhelmingly passed because the majority of the funding was coming directly from the state, and people bought the line of "Your taxes won't go up". Now while the funding for this particular project remains unaffected by the recent announcement from Paterson regarding the school funding cuts, you don't really think that our taxes won't be affected (whether it's on a state or local level) by this consistent unnecessary over-expenditure when money is abstracted beyond our direct control? This project alone accounts for 10% of the school funding cuts for the entire state... how many more projects like this exist that are siphoning money out of our pockets?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 PM

87 posts, read 85,306 times
Looks like a move to balance the city budget on the backs of the school district.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
Looks like a move to balance the city budget on the backs of the school district.
Are you saying that's a bad thing? Seeing as how something in the neighborhood of 70% of tax dollars go toward school funding that the city has no control over... I'd say it's a reasonable request.

School spending is out of control, with nothing to show for it.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

161 posts, read 452,019 times
Many years ago, I owned my first home in the city and my kids attended a decent elementary school in the neighborhood. I put them on the waiting list for the urban/suburban school program. I wanted to stay in the city but by the time they hit fifth grade, they were still way down on the waiting list. Then, I checked out the half-way decent high school in the neighborhood & tried registering there but was directed to RCSD.

The woman at RCSD told me even though we lived within walking distance of that high school, they can't attend there but get bussed to East High--WTH !! I asked why was it ok for them to walk to the elementary school but NOT ok to walk to the high school?? Then she got smart with me and said if I didn't like it, too bad!

Well, it sure was too bad--I sold the house and moved to the suburbs until my kids finished school. IF I could afford to buy a suburban home, I would have & may have stayed in Rochester. Instead, I rented. I don't condone people "jumping" the district but certainly understand why they do.

RCSD needs to try something different because what they are doing now just isn't cutting it, period. Some of them on there act like hood rats.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 PM

63,366 posts, read 88,836,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post
Many years ago, I owned my first home in the city and my kids attended a decent elementary school in the neighborhood. I put them on the waiting list for the urban/suburban school program. I wanted to stay in the city but by the time they hit fifth grade, they were still way down on the waiting list. Then, I checked out the half-way decent high school in the neighborhood & tried registering there but was directed to RCSD.

The woman at RCSD told me even though we lived within walking distance of that high school, they can't attend there but get bussed to East High--WTH !! I asked why was it ok for them to walk to the elementary school but NOT ok to walk to the high school?? Then she got smart with me and said if I didn't like it, too bad!

Well, it sure was too bad--I sold the house and moved to the suburbs until my kids finished school. IF I could afford to buy a suburban home, I would have & may have stayed in Rochester. Instead, I rented. I don't condone people "jumping" the district but certainly understand why they do.

RCSD needs to try something different because what they are doing now just isn't cutting it, period. Some of them on there act like hood rats.
Personally, I think they should keep East High a neighborhood HS and only move kids around in HS for magnet/special HS purposes(Wilson, Edison, SOTA, etc.). I think you might have a chance at keeping more kids in the RCSD HS's by doing that. Also, it might allow for parents to become more involved in their child's education instead of having the child and parent think about trekking across town to discuss educational matters.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Personally, I think they should keep East High a neighborhood HS and only move kids around in HS for magnet/special HS purposes(Wilson, Edison, SOTA, etc.). I think you might have a chance at keeping more kids in the RCSD HS's by doing that. Also, it might allow for parents to become more involved in their child's education instead of having the child and parent think about trekking across town to discuss educational matters.
Actually, I think they should completely do away with the Magnet/Specialty system until they prove they can just get the basic schooling accomplished in a reasonable fashion. What's the point in having specialty schools if half your students don't even make it that far to begin with?

Gotta learn to crawl before you walk.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,486,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Too bad the unions will probably put up a fight.
I was thinking about this too. Duffy is trying to take over city schools, nothing else. If the only good means removing the school board, the union will be virtually unaffected.

The union comes into play when we change compensation, hours or job numbers. Job numbers are a big possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area