U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 PM

42 posts, read 97,323 times

Advertisements

This thread is not gonna lower your taxes, change the weather, find you a job, or fix any racism that may exist in Rochester- please go to a different post if you want to continue to discuss these topics. But hopefully it will help you find things to do that may help you enjoy your time in Rochester more.

I never understand it when people say there is little to do in Rochester. There are more things to do here then I can find time to do. NYC, Chicago, and other large cities may have more things to actually do, but with the traffic, cost of parking, crowds, etc it is not realistic to do many of these things on a regular basis. Please list things that you like to do in Rochester to keep from being bored.

Here are some of my favorites- sure I will think of more.

Summer Festivals- just about every weekend. Free

Golf- LOTS of golf courses. many of them very affordable. Year long memberships available for $200 per year.

Rochester Curling Club- an absolute blast. Highly recommend.

Jazz Festival. $100 for a full week of Jazz shows. Great time.

Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra- World Class

Strong Museum of Play- No Brainer if you have kids

Geva Theater- we all know it is not Broadway- but the prices are also much more affordable.

Skiing/XC skiing- 30-45 minutes to Bristol. XC skiing all over the place.

Hiking- If you into a moderate challenge. If you are Mr/Ms Hardcore climber then you will be looking for more, but for 99% of people the hiking here is plenty of a challenge.

Eating- Plenty of good restaurants with reasonable prices. We don't have all types of exotic foods, but save these for your vacations. I love Mexican, but just look forward to it when I go to other cities- no big deal we dont have it in Rochester.

Finger Lakes area- Wineries, Lakes, etc.

Minor League sports- if you have a family with young kids the minor league games are great. Even if we had major league sports in Rochester I would not be interested in spending $50-$100 per ticket.

Buffalo Bills, Sabres, and Syracuse- if you do want to see the pros play (I will put Syracuse Basketball in this class simply because they are so good) you can travel 1-1.5 hrs and see the best in the world- even if it is the opposing team.

Marges Bar- Go to Marges for a beer or two and watch the sunset.

Local Programs at Libraries- lots of event always going on. Mostly free. GO to the Monroe county Library website- they have things for everyone.

Local School Sports- nationally ranked High School sports and Div 1 Hockey at RIT.

YMCA- relatively affordable and many of the facilities are beautiful- great programs.

Please add in your own ideas.

Happy New Year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 AM

200 posts, read 550,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctorochester View Post
This thread is not gonna lower your taxes, change the weather, find you a job, or fix any racism that may exist in Rochester- please go to a different post if you want to continue to discuss these topics. But hopefully it will help you find things to do that may help you enjoy your time in Rochester more.

I never understand it when people say there is little to do in Rochester. There are more things to do here then I can find time to do. NYC, Chicago, and other large cities may have more things to actually do, but with the traffic, cost of parking, crowds, etc it is not realistic to do many of these things on a regular basis. Please list things that you like to do in Rochester to keep from being bored.

Here are some of my favorites- sure I will think of more.

Summer Festivals- just about every weekend. Free

Golf- LOTS of golf courses. many of them very affordable. Year long memberships available for $200 per year.

Rochester Curling Club- an absolute blast. Highly recommend.

Jazz Festival. $100 for a full week of Jazz shows. Great time.

Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra- World Class

Strong Museum of Play- No Brainer if you have kids

Geva Theater- we all know it is not Broadway- but the prices are also much more affordable.

Skiing/XC skiing- 30-45 minutes to Bristol. XC skiing all over the place.

Hiking- If you into a moderate challenge. If you are Mr/Ms Hardcore climber then you will be looking for more, but for 99% of people the hiking here is plenty of a challenge.

Eating- Plenty of good restaurants with reasonable prices. We don't have all types of exotic foods, but save these for your vacations. I love Mexican, but just look forward to it when I go to other cities- no big deal we dont have it in Rochester.

Finger Lakes area- Wineries, Lakes, etc.

Minor League sports- if you have a family with young kids the minor league games are great. Even if we had major league sports in Rochester I would not be interested in spending $50-$100 per ticket.

Buffalo Bills, Sabres, and Syracuse- if you do want to see the pros play (I will put Syracuse Basketball in this class simply because they are so good) you can travel 1-1.5 hrs and see the best in the world- even if it is the opposing team.

Marges Bar- Go to Marges for a beer or two and watch the sunset.

Local Programs at Libraries- lots of event always going on. Mostly free. GO to the Monroe county Library website- they have things for everyone.

Local School Sports- nationally ranked High School sports and Div 1 Hockey at RIT.

YMCA- relatively affordable and many of the facilities are beautiful- great programs.

Please add in your own ideas.

Happy New Year.
Very nice. People who complain that there is nothing to do probably haven't tried to do anything. I have to add the local music scene - a lot of great local musicians, bands, DJs and MCs killing it here in Rochester as well as touring around the country.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 35,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Very nice. People who complain that there is nothing to do probably haven't tried to do anything. I have to add the local music scene - a lot of great local musicians, bands, DJs and MCs killing it here in Rochester as well as touring around the country.
This.

If you're into any kind of electronic music Rochester/Buffalo gets some of the BEST DJs/Producers in the industry.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM

116 posts, read 582,377 times
I lived in a southern city simliar in size to Rochester and of course there is MUCH more to do here than there. Magnitudes more.

Anyhow, I've young kids so seabreeze and museum of play are our regular spots. Museum of play is unbelievable, I'd never seen anything like it before.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 67,455 times
well said...it is a great place to live..and cherish!!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,910,633 times
mountain biking. There are some pretty technical trails if you are up for a challenge.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,331,239 times
Let's not forget how much there is to do and see within a days drive of Rochester too. I know critics like to say "yeah, the fact that Rochester is attractive because it's easy to escape blah blah blah"...but really; who wants to stay right in their hometown ALL the time? The fact that you have the wine country/ ski country so close by, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Adirondacks, Letcbworth State Park (the most breathtaking place on earth to see fall foliage IMO; rivals anything you'll find in New England) are all within a few hours; and NYC and Boston are all within less than a day's drive too. To be able to visit all of those places without spending a fortune to get there and even being able to return home within the day from most of those places if you want or need to is something that should be appreciated by more Rochesterians

Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM

63,831 posts, read 89,278,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Let's not forget how much there is to do and see within a days drive of Rochester too. I know critics like to say "yeah, the fact that Rochester is attractive because it's easy to escape blah blah blah"...but really; who wants to stay right in their hometown ALL the time? The fact that you have the wine country/ ski country so close by, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Adirondacks, Letcbworth State Park (the most breathtaking place on earth to see fall foliage IMO; rivals anything you'll find in New England) are all within a few hours; and NYC and Boston are all within less than a day's drive too. To be able to visit all of those places without spending a fortune to get there and even being able to return home within the day from most of those places if you want or need to is something that should be appreciated by more Rochesterians
I agree and if you go within say 5 hours or so, you have Ottawa, Montreal, the 1000 Islands, the Catskills, the Poconos and many other local/regional locales that others may or may not think of. Finger Lakes
Greater Niagara
Chautauqua-Allegheny

Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 PM

116 posts, read 582,377 times
BTW if we're talking physical activity there is a pretty decent number of running, cycling, triathlon races in the near vicinity and I have to say that this area is absolutely the bee's knees for cycling, at least east of the city where I am. Lots of country roads with wide shoulders. There is a pretty active cycling community. Also rowing if you're into that, on the canal. There are races there, too. I've not partaken but also sailing quite close and boating, since Rochester is after-all on Lake Ontario.

And as mentioned in above post, very close to a lot of cities in Canada.

Finger lakes are also nice and if you like wine there are tons of vineyards and wine tasting things close. Also it's big enough that we have all the large box stores and LL Bean is even opening this year I believe it is.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM

42 posts, read 97,323 times
Garmin...cant believe I forgot the mountain biking. Thank You. I am at Dryer road in Victor a few times a month. Great trails for almost all abilities. Places like Dryer in other places I have lived are either not nearly as good, or simply packed with too many people.

Jwill...agreed, but the Rochester marathon (from personal experience) is not good. The loneliness along the canal from about miles 15-21 is terrible. Finger Lakes Triathlon and Liliac 10K are my favorite Rochester events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or