Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times

Advertisements

Well, I moved to Rochester after getting married. My husband was born and raised there. Needless to say, I didn't last one year. The winters are so cold that they BURN. The sun almost never shines--very low cloud cover. And its not close to ANY major metropolitan city (I dont consider Buffalo to be a major city). To me, is was isolated and very depressing. COLD and DARK. I would NEVER move back there. We just go back to visit family--and even then, not too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
My fiance who was born in Florida absouletly loves rochester, we hate it in FL its so much more expensive. Cant wait to be back in Rochester.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM

200 posts, read 604,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlnow View Post
Well, I moved to Rochester after getting married. My husband was born and raised there. Needless to say, I didn't last one year. The winters are so cold that they BURN. The sun almost never shines--very low cloud cover. And its not close to ANY major metropolitan city
This sounds more like a you problem, not a problem with the city you moved to. Your husband grew up here. Did the weather surprise you? Didn't he mention it? Did he tell you it was warm and sunny? Did he tell you Rochester was a big, bustling metropolis? Did he tell you where it was? Maybe before you move to a city you should consider looking at a map to see where it is located, and checking out what the weather might be like there. Couldn't hurt. It's called due dilligence. Consider it next time. I did, and found a smaller, four-season city I liked.
Quote:
(I dont consider Buffalo to be a major city).
Haha who does?
Bottom line is knowing what your getting into. Check out the city before you move. People who like a cosmopolitan vibe should stick with major cities. People who are looking for an easy, laid back country atmoshpere, you know, buy a bunch of land in the hills. People who like the sun and the beach, go where that is. It's a pretty simple concept, really. Find where you like, and go there. If you go somewhere and don't like it, don't move there. Just sayin.
Quote:
Needless to say, I didn't last one year.
Why is that "needless to say"? Not following you. There is nothing that's "needless to say". If you're saying it, for one reason or another, it must need to be said. Sorry, kind of stupid I know, but I hate these go-to statements or phrases that people use that actually don't mean anything.
OK, I'm getting off my soapbox. (which, by the way, is a phrase that people use that has an actual meaning lol)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Well, I moved to Rochester after getting married. My husband was born and raised there. Needless to say, I didn't last one year. The winters are so cold that they BURN. The sun almost never shines--very low cloud cover. And its not close to ANY major metropolitan city (I dont consider Buffalo to be a major city). To me, is was isolated and very depressing. COLD and DARK. I would NEVER move back there. We just go back to visit family--and even then, not too often.
What about Toronto?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Just another tid bit... in Florida if you declare bankruptcy... your home cannot be taken away from you. A bit of a safety rule. I've been down to Ft Lauderdale though and it didn't look like many people needed that safety net. People are nicely well off there and enjoying the sun. Too hot for me though. I'd prefer North Carolina although I'm sure they experience a few scorching days as well; but Florida can get bad.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
aaron4040 is right. People move from NY to FL for better weather and lower taxes.

I moved from Rochester to Raleigh in 1992 for one reason: employment.

I also disliked 5-degree Rochester weather as well as the grayness of November and the springs that took forever to arrive, but I was more than willing to put up with it all.

Here, there is horrible humidity (we had an entire summer of 90+ degree days) and loads of mosquitoes. I spent a whole lot more of time outdoors in Rochester than I ever have here.

Cost of living is about the same. Food costs more. Real estate taxes are much more reasonable. I pay the same as I did when I moved here -- about a third of what my sister in Rochester pays, and her house value is $50K lower.

Living in the Rochester area was a lot more fun with Lake Ontario, the Genesee River, the Finger Lakes, and Canada close by and all the festivals and activities. But I feel sorry for my sister and her husband because the taxes are so high. They eventually will move, I'm sure. Not because they want to but because of the taxes.

Jobs are VERY difficult to find in the Raleigh area right now. So if anyone is contemplating a North Carolina move, I hope they secure employment first or forget it.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 PM

127 posts, read 324,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Why do so many people from Rochester move to Florida, especially families? Why would anyone want to cook in 100 degree weather all day? Why would anyone want to put their kids in risk of being abducted? Why would anyone want to put their kids in those horrible school districts? People from Florida should be moving TO Rochester!

question: why would anyone get "abducted"? are they UFOs in FL i haven't been introduced to? LOL

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 PM

127 posts, read 324,347 times
By the way I am from Ft. Lauderdale/ miami are and I never heard about Rochester until I was told by my job I needed to get an apartment here soIdon't know what the poster is talking about... AND if people do move is because this weather makes you miserable!! yes, this is my biggest complaint about NY..

Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
question: why would anyone get "abducted"? are they UFOs in FL i haven't been introduced to? LOL

Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post

Are you so blind to the millions of sex offenders that live in FL?

I cant wait to be back in Rochester next month for good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area