Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people from Rochester move to Florida, especially families? Why would anyone want to cook in 100 degree weather all day? Why would anyone want to put their kids in risk of being abducted? Why would anyone want to put their kids in those horrible school districts? People from Florida should be moving TO Rochester!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
It's mostly old people who go to Florida isn't it?

I think the families and young people are going to NC, AZ, and TX. Because there are no jobs here :-(

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Why do so many people from Rochester move to Florida, especially families? Why would anyone want to cook in 100 degree weather all day? Why would anyone want to put their kids in risk of being abducted? Why would anyone want to put their kids in those horrible school districts? People from Florida should be moving TO Rochester!

Really?!!

Rochester is better than? What? Anyplace?

Point #1 Its not always 100 in Fla! even now its in the 40's today.
It get 100 here! do you cook? They way down in Fla have that newfangled thing called Air Conditioning or what we up here call Conditioned Air! We use that thing called a heater to stay alive in the winter they don't.
Point #2 If you watch out for your kids then they won't get abducted unless you do it yourself. This happens every where not just in Fla hmmm.....

Open your mind not everyone wants to live in Roc if they did it would be just a little bit bigger.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Because some people don't mind very humid weather. Different strokes for different folks

Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
We would need to see some proof. But I agree too. I believe it is mostly older folk who move to Florida, senior centers and warm weather make for an easy time. Younger people seem to move to NC or AZ.

My grandparents used to goto FL for the winter and come back up for the summer. Snowbirds.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I've always noticed it being more elderly retired folks who flock to florida from Rochester and all of NY and the Northeast. Actually because of the things you have mentioned, families are actually leaving FL in droves, many actually do come back up north; I've met many young couples with young kids around here who have moved back from Florida (seems like most of them lived in the Tampa area). Tons and tons of families moved from Florida to NC throughout the last few years I lived there and I'd imagine they still are. Florida, probably tied with Arizona/Nevada/anywhere in the desert southwest is probably the LAST place in America I'd ever want to live. Love taking nice vacations down there in February and March; but would never want to live there. By the time I'm ready to retire it will probably have sunken into the ocean anyways!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I don't know if that is true now, as Florida has been losing population the last year or two.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 PM

87 posts, read 416,583 times
Maybe because the sun actually shines there?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Actually, the husband and I will be moving to the Rochester area from Florida. We are both lifelong Floridians and we need OUT! This state is backward thinking and moving. The only new development is all stripmalls and subdivisions. The summers are brutal; and there are 3 seasons, hot, hotter than hell, and cool. There is no since of community and every city, aside from small towns in central Florida has an AnyTown, USA feel. Also, insurance rates, (if you can find anyone to insure your home) are RIDICULOUS! We want to have children, but the the school systems here sucks. I can go on for hours , but I will not continue to rant. Here we come April '10!

OH and I almost forgot one of the most important reasons we are moving: Much higher COL, (even with your higher taxes) with lower pay in Florida. Cheers!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I respectfully disagree. I am a lifelong NY'er.
No place is perfect, but as a person who owns homes in BOTH places, I look forward to relocating full time to my Florida home in a couple of years.

Yes, the pay is lower there. That does not matter to me, because I will go there with my good NYS pension. For myself, I see many opportunities for making additional income that I really will not need......my skills are desired there. I'm in my early 50's, and as you get older the weather here gets to you.

My property taxes are 1/3 of what they are here, and will be half what they are now once I have homestead exemption as a full time resident. My utilities are MUCH cheaper. If you do not live close to the coast, the homeowners insurance, while higher then NY, is not bad.

I've crunched the numbers every which way, and bottom line is that my cost of living is less in Florida. I love the sun, I love the heat. My neighbors there are great and I enjoy every minute I'm there.

But everyone is thankfully different. To each their own. Thank God we live in a country that HAS different climates and that we can go wherever we want without restrictions.

There are good things about western NY......but as I get older, I prefer Florida.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area