Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM

127 posts, read 324,421 times

Advertisements

hi! i moved to Rochester a couple weeks ago and i was wondering what good places are around to eat?? i live in downtown and im dying to find a good latin/spanish place to eat and a good pizza place or anyother good yummy places!! please let me know!! im skinny w a fat ass heart LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
I like Marks pizza for a chain restaurant. Salvatores has a doughnut shop/pizza shop on Empire/Culver that you would probably enjoy. I'd like to hear about some good Spanish restaurants myself.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 AM

200 posts, read 604,816 times
I can second Salvatores. Chester Cab and Cobbs Hill are good, too. I'm not sure they deliver downtown, though - they're on Park ave. As far as latin food, Dorado on Park ave is good, but I haven't been there in a minute. They might be worth checking out. Kind of a trendy joint, but not pretentious at all. Check out their website - dorado
There are a couple other places around - El Latino is supposed to be good, but I've never been there. Some of the Caribbean places in the city have Latin items on the menu. Here's a good website - far from complete, but better than most - Rochester Restaurants | Urbanspoon Give them a shot and let us know how you make out - Aaron

Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I think salvatores has horrible pizza but other good items such as calzones. For pizza I like pizza stop, joes brooklyn, ninos (sicilian) and bay goodman. For latin (as far as mexican goes) I like monte alban. The latin places probably won't be as good as Florida(assuming that's where you are from by your name) but there are a couple of decent places.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 AM

201 posts, read 648,583 times
The best places to get a pie are endless. I like Cobbs Hill on Park, Chester Cab on Park, Great Northern Pizza, Pontillo's and the Wegman's slices are great too. I've ordered Salvatore's pizzas before and they usually come out sloppy and undercooked. But, their sides and subs are fantastic. As far as latin/spanish food, best of luck. In Rochester it's far and few between.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I think salvatores has horrible pizza but other good items such as calzones. For pizza I like pizza stop, joes brooklyn, ninos (sicilian) and bay goodman. For latin (as far as mexican goes) I like monte alban. The latin places probably won't be as good as Florida(assuming that's where you are from by your name) but there are a couple of decent places.
Monte Alban is good. They have a place on Ridge rd near the Melody Center that we usually goto. They don't have a bar at that location. But the good new is that they are popping up all over the place, so maybe some of the other locations do.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
hi! i moved to Rochester a couple weeks ago and i was wondering what good places are around to eat?? i live in downtown and im dying to find a good latin/spanish place to eat and a good pizza place or anyother good yummy places!! please let me know!! im skinny w a fat ass heart LOL
I prefer NY style pizza, and there are a few good ones around Rochester. A lot of the pizza joints there serve up a crust which is a little thick, for my tastes. Somebody mentioned Bay/Goodman. I THINK they have a thin crust.

Latin/Spanish? Not sure if it's changed in the last few years, but, you may have a challenging time finding authentic ones. There's Tapas lounge on St. Paul, right downtown (I think it's 177 St. Paul St.). They have a dress code (casual but no hats). N. Clinton by St. Michael's is a majority hispanic neighborhood, and from what I gather there are some good food choices for folks looking for authentic Caribbean-style foods. There is a safety factor in that area, though, although that may have improved in recent years. Some real Mexican places were opening up around the time we left town, so I'd imagine there are some of those.

The gastrointestinal treat called "the garbage plate", is served up at all manner of eating establishments across town, with slight differences based on a central food theme (pile of food on a plate). I prefer some of the plates served up at joints outside the city (besides Nick's). Most Greek family restaurants have a "plate".

You'd probably like the variety of joints on Park Avenue. Jine's, Cobbs Hill Pizza (they have a large menu besides just pizza, and their pasta dishes are excellent), and a bunch of other very affordable places are along there. Great place to walk, go out on dates, that sort of thing. I used to walk to Cobbs pizza on Friday nights, from my job on University.

Right downtown is Stromboli Express. One serving of their stromboli is good for two people, or leftovers (if memory serves correct). They're on East Ave., by the Monroe Cty. Dem Party HQ and "Salinger's" bar. Various bars on the periphery of one part of downtown (Richmond's, etc.), serve up good food. Bars along Park Ave. serve food, as well. Monroe Ave. has a lot of decent food joints along it. Just avoid the panhandlers, and definitely watch after yourself at night if you're alone (there have been some issues in recent years).

Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Rochester being about 14% Hispanic/Latino, you should be able to find some Latin Caribbean restaurants. Here's a list of some in the area: http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/restaurants/guide/browse/?keywords=&cuisines[]=Mexican%2FLatin&neighborhood=&rating=

Just look for Mexican/Latino

Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Monte Alban is good. They have a place on Ridge rd near the Melody Center that we usually goto. They don't have a bar at that location. But the good new is that they are popping up all over the place, so maybe some of the other locations do.
Yea, I used to go to the one on Ridge, but the one that just opened up on Empire is just as close and has a bar. It's authentic according to friends from Mexico.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
If I really want good mexican.... I go to MEX on Alexander.... very good!!!! Great place to hang out on a weekend night too..... Tapas is delicious as well.... They also give salsa lessons if I am not mistaken.....

I can't stand Salvatore's Pizza personally- I am a Mark's Pizza fan.... Chester Cab is good too- on Park Ave as mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area