U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM

241 posts, read 540,590 times

Advertisements

I'm a single young professional looking to potentially move to Rochester for a job. However, from what I'm reading here, a lot of talks about suburbs. Is Rochester a more a family town? How's nightlife in Rochester? Any safety concern for a single girl going out?

Thanks for any insight you could share!

(As a frame of reference, I've lived in Kansas City area, St. Louis, and San Diego)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM

200 posts, read 549,699 times
There are a few things to do. It's probably in between KC & St Louis as far as the scene goes. A bit better than KC - from what I've been told everyone in KC is married and divorced by 25 Lol. Depending on your age and what you're looking for, South Ave., the East End, St Paul Quarter, Park Ave. or Monroe could be worth checking out. Rochester doesn't have one area that people go to party, like Church St in Orlando or Chippewa in Buffalo, but several areas that are a collection of 10 or 15 bars, clubs, restaurants, and live music venues that are bunched together. The most popular of which (but far from the best, IMHO) is the East End (from East & Alexander to East & Main.). I personally prefer Monroe Ave from Oxford to Union. The disadvantage is their isn't one spot you can go where EVERYONE will be. The advantage is there is no one place where EVERYONE will be lol. There also isn't a lot going on on Monday or Tuesday nights. The rest of the week you can find stuff to do.
As far as going out on your own, it's not unlike most other cities. People are generally friendly, though I would recommend sticking to the East End or Park Ave. areas and you should be fine.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,320,673 times
I would argue that Rochester does (at least somewhat) have it's own version of a "party street" in Monroe Ave. Just like any other metro area; Rochester is obviously more family oriented in the suburban areas and young/bohemian, oriented in certain areas of the central city. This forum in general talks more about the suburban areas because again, just like most other metro areas in the US, the suburbs make up the bulk of the region's population. But that doesn't mean that there aren't things for young singles to enjoy in the city.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,489,413 times
I am married, but I don't have any kids, so I can still enjoy some of the same culture. There is a decent amount to do for single people. East Ave, Park Ave and Alexander ST have the largest clusters of clubs and bars. Monroe ave also has a few, but isn't usually your first pick. There are plenty of bars all over the city.

The areas around these streets have plenty of people and are safe. Monroe is probably more mixed but, Park/East are very safe areas of the city, both contain the bulk of the city mansions and upper class homes. Park ave also has a large amount of college students. There are some minor league sports, plenty of gyms and other recreational activities. Golf, rock climbing, marathons, etc, etc.

The boating up here is excellent, the fresh waterways up here are some of the best in the country. There are a few beaches, not anywhere close to Miami beach, but it is still a good area to relax. They do events for singles in and around the city, if your into that. There are plenty of malls around for shopping. Park ave and East ave also has a bunch of shops that make for good urban shopping. You can park your car and walk around for something a little more unique.

For my experience. Its not NYC, but with a good job it is a great city to live in.

Last edited by cheese9988; 02-22-2010 at 11:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,903,342 times
There is plenty of nightlife. There are clusters of places in the East End, St Paul , Monroe, Park and South Wedge areas. Depends on what kind of person you are since those places cater to different people. There are no more safety issues than any other city.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,690,264 times
Just avoid Monroe Ave late at night in the summer near that taco place unless you wanna get shot. Unless the police can do something about it, Monroe Ave tends to be a problem area at night in certain areas. I know a girl from Utica who came to Rochester for the first time last summer when one of those shootings occurred, and she said she'll never come back because of it. I guess I can't blame her.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 AM

63,516 posts, read 88,994,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Just avoid Monroe Ave late at night in the summer near that taco place unless you wanna get shot. Unless the police can do something about it, Monroe Ave tends to be a problem area at night in certain areas. I know a girl from Utica who came to Rochester for the first time last summer when one of those shootings occurred, and she said she'll never come back because of it. I guess I can't blame her.
I would think that Upper Monroe would be safer. Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA

Upper Monroe Avenue Neighborhood - Rochester Wiki

Here's a list of Rochester city neighborhoods: Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,903,342 times
Monroe is plenty safe. There is the rare shooting, but shootings are infrequent. Name a city that doesn't have the occasional incident in nightlife spots. You'd have a bigger chance of getting hit by a car than getting shot.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM

233 posts, read 621,288 times
Hey there yee8p.

If you browse around for a bit, you can find plenty of topics about crime in Rochester. The crime rate has gone down but it would still be wise to watch your back at night in the downtown area. Here's a topic about someone's experience in Monroe Ave before the drop in crime: Rochester seems VERY

This is indeed a good city to have money in. Your dollar will go a little further and housing is quite cheap.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,690,264 times
Monroe Ave, if it is "safer", is only safer because of any increased police presence both by the NYST and RPD. I'm not saying it's worse than any other city, but we're not talking about other cities or streets, we're talking about Monroe Ave in Rochester.

Lol @ that gay dudes post. I remember reading that and how it became such a huge $hitstorm. The guy has some good points, but all of the Rochester fan boys acted like he was off his rocker.

Basically, if you're in to loud clubs that during the week are either closed or dead and filled with pretentious snobs who care more about how good they might look than anything else, East End is your place. If you like decent bars that become overcrowded and play blaring music on the weekends so you can't even hold a conversation, Monroe Ave is your place. During the week the nicer places like Oxfords and Woodys can be bearable though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area