U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM

63,537 posts, read 88,994,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
No doubt; the area that would best fit your criteria would be Brighton. It adjoins the city on its southeast border; very close to Park/Monroe avenues; has the older tudor housing with sidewalks you are looking for, very family oriented with amazing schools. With the exception of good schools; which is what you said was one of the least of your worries; I would suggest the Park Avenue or Browncroft neighborhoods in the City; but as you've said yourself the schools in the city aren't very good (unless you would consider private/catholic schools when you do have kids). But Brighton and its 12 corners area would definitely be the place you'd like best in the suburbs.
As far as schools, that area of the city might actually have a couple or a few decent to good public and charter elementary schools.

Genesee Comm Charter School at the R Test Scores - Rochester, New York - NY

School 23-Francis Parker Test Scores - Rochester, New York - NY

School 58-World of Inquiry School Test Scores - Rochester, New York - NY

That's not counting the private schools in that area as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 21,879 times
I hadn't considered charter schools. They're the only schools being created in NYC. People seem to swear by them down here...thanks for the links!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtoRochester? View Post
I hadn't considered charter schools. They're the only schools being created in NYC. People seem to swear by them down here...thanks for the links!
People do forget about them and I believe in most cases, if you live in the city where it is located, you get first dibs on enrollment. Just something to think about and the test scores of the charter school I posted had very good.

It looks like the two public schools I posted are fine as well.

Here's more information on those elementary schools and if you can get lucky, you might be able to get your child into the School Of The Arts, which is the best public HS in the city of Rochester:

Rochester City School District | Elementary Schools (http://www.rcsdk12.org/19731071419482490/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=55645 - broken link)

Rochester City School District | Elementary Schools (http://www.rcsdk12.org/19731071419482490/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=55660 - broken link)

Genesee Community Charter School

Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM

525 posts, read 1,687,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would Brockport be another community to consider? I say that because SUNY-Brockport is there and it is a community that has some independant stores on it's main street.
I love Brockport, though it might be just isolated enough to traumatize someone from NYC If they ever ran 531 all the way out to 19, it would be great though. I'd say the schools are a class below Spencerport, Hilton, Churchville (among the best IMO) as well.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 PM

4,878 posts, read 7,597,699 times
I would highly recommend Fairport (village) or Perinton. It has lots of older homes (at good prices right now) some Victorians, a quaint village with the canal running thru it, parks, good schools/sports activities, Wegmans, Powder Mill Park, etc. Eastview Mall is very close by. I mean, nothing is really that far of a drive to get to entertainment, etc.

I'd also recommend Pittsford as a second choice (only because it's more expensive than Fairport).

If you're thinking of having a family, I would buy in those locations because that's ultimate where you will want to end up anyway after you have kids. Houses don't appreciate that much in Rochester so I think it's better to buy where you will want to live long term.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I would highly recommend Fairport (village) or Perinton. It has lots of older homes (at good prices right now) some Victorians, a quaint village with the canal running thru it, parks, good schools/sports activities, Wegmans, Powder Mill Park, etc. Eastview Mall is very close by. I mean, nothing is really that far of a drive to get to entertainment, etc.

I'd also recommend Pittsford as a second choice (only because it's more expensive than Fairport).

If you're thinking of having a family, I would buy in those locations because that's ultimate where you will want to end up anyway after you have kids. Houses don't appreciate that much in Rochester so I think it's better to buy where you will want to live long term.
Also Fairport has it's own power company. So, that utility is cheaper there than in other area communities. Taxes might "even things out"though.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM

233 posts, read 621,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also Fairport has its own power company. So, that utility is cheaper there than in other area communities. Taxes might "even things out"though.
There, I fixed it for you. People always make that mistake for some reason.

But you are right about the lower utilities. Our electric bill is usually under $50 here, but the saved money goes to property taxes.

I wouldn't recommend Fairport for the OP though, at least not over the areas other people have mentioned. It is very walkable here by the canal, with a great bike trail and Perinton Park close by. It's just a little farther away from the night life.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM

12 posts, read 21,879 times
Has anyone on the forum moved from NYC or a major city to Rochester? What were your biggest adjustments? Positives and Negatives?

My biggest concern is leaving behind the culture (live music, galleries and theatre)...but when I think about it, I'm always feeling so broke that I hardly do these things! It seems to make more sense to commit to visiting 3/4 times a year, and staying with friends and enjoying the city that way.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 AM

504 posts, read 1,342,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtoRochester? View Post
My biggest concern is leaving behind the culture (live music, galleries and theatre)...but when I think about it, I'm always feeling so broke that I hardly do these things! It seems to make more sense to commit to visiting 3/4 times a year, and staying with friends and enjoying the city that way.
I didn't move from a big city to Rochester, but I have lived in cities of all sizes. If you were only an occasional theater goer or concert goer in New York (as I was) you'll probably get out about as frequently once you move to Rochester. Unless you're really into the music, art or theater scene, Rochester will probably offer you enough not to get bored. Plenty of national acts come and play Rochester, though the city doesn't have much of its own underground indie music scene. The Memorial Art Gallery might seem small coming from NYC, but it's nice enough and the size is very manageable, in that you can see it all in one day (and they also get interesting traveling exhibits). Theater is not outstanding here, but there are some interesting plays from time to time at Geva theater and on the University of Rochester campus. Again, not much of an underground scene, but there's some stuff going on.

Where Rochester really stands out for a city of its size is in film. Besides the Little Theater (which is a very nice downtown independent theater with five screens) there's the George Eastman House, which is an absolutely world class film archive that plays classic and contemporary films six nights a week.

There'll be times when you miss the cultural offerings of New York, but I don't think it's that huge of an adjustment for most people. The fact that everything's cheaper in Rochester might be a pleasant surprise, too.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,320,673 times
I agree with mycrows....obviously Rochester won't have all the cultural amenities at your fingertips to the degree you do in NYC; but for a city its size I think it does pretty well. The fact that the COL is so much more affordable here also makes it so that when you miss the culture of NYC; you can actually afford to take a nice trip down there for the weekend to get your fix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area