U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:42 PM

466 posts, read 873,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post

IMO the Buffalo has better local food. Some of the radio stations in Rochester are terrible, 92.9 for example, 106.5 out of Buffalo is much better. I cannot find anything that has a large enough cluster of shops that can compare to something like Hertel ave in Buffalo. If someone could point one out, that be great, but the density of the shops doesn't seem to be there.
I've always though Rochester had the better food. 4 years of school in Buffalo and I was unimpressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 AM

525 posts, read 1,689,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I've always though Rochester had the better food. 4 years of school in Buffalo and I was unimpressed.
IMO think they each have strengths. Beef on Weck, Antoinettas (the ice cream place?), Jim's Steakout, even Mighty Taco as long as you aren't expecting it to be authentic like in Buffalo. Chicken French, Garbage Plates, better choice on ethnic foods and fine dining in Rochester. I'd say wings are a tossup despite being invented in Buffalo.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,914,977 times
I like how Buffalo's great food places go all the way out to the outer burbs... Rochester has some great places in it's outer burbs, but nothing like Buffalo has.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 21,884 times
Thank you for all the great feedback. The last Brighton post was very detailed and informative, you should work the tourist board! This definitely gives me increased confidence that I will be making the right decision. Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM

466 posts, read 873,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
IMO think they each have strengths. Beef on Weck, Antoinettas (the ice cream place?), Jim's Steakout, even Mighty Taco as long as you aren't expecting it to be authentic like in Buffalo. Chicken French, Garbage Plates, better choice on ethnic foods and fine dining in Rochester. I'd say wings are a tossup despite being invented in Buffalo.
Jim's Steakout is such a ripoff, and not even that good to top it off. I can't stand the hot dogs they have in Buffalo. Give me a Zweigle's anyday. I thought their pizza was poor. Even the chicken wings were nothing special. The average wing I got in Buffalo was pretty much on par with Rochester. And actually, the best wings I've ever had were in Rochester. (Six Pockets in the Hudson/Titus plaza in Irondequoit. Great wings) Burgers in Rochester are much better with places like Schaller's, Don's Original, Vic & Irv's etc. Country Sweet wings.

I don't know, I just heard so much about Buffalo food prior to going to school there and was extremely underwhelmed.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,496,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
The chicken french is by far my favorite Rochester food. I found out Jines on Park ave has beef on weck...although they call it something else, beef on keswick or something. Beef on weck is simple to make, great flavor and filling too.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:58 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,496,104 times
Quote:
Jim's Steakout is such a ripoff, and not even that good to top it off. I can't stand the hot dogs they have in Buffalo. Give me a Zweigle's anyday. I thought their pizza was poor. Even the chicken wings were nothing special. The average wing I got in Buffalo was pretty much on par with Rochester. And actually, the best wings I've ever had were in Rochester. (Six Pockets in the Hudson/Titus plaza in Irondequoit. Great wings) Burgers in Rochester are much better with places like Schaller's, Don's Original, Vic & Irv's etc. Country Sweet wings.

I don't know, I just heard so much about Buffalo food prior to going to school there and was extremely underwhelmed.
You havn't been to enough wing places in B-lo, because there are alot.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
hey OP,
maybe the doesn't meet your criteria, but you should consider one of the small towns outside of Monroe county. My 1st choice would be Geneseo. Lovely little town.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM

525 posts, read 1,689,447 times
Quote:

Maybe it was only at 4am, but I have fond memories of Jim's Steakout.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 AM

12 posts, read 21,884 times
I went to University in Geneseo so I know all about how special the town is. Only downside would be the commute into Rochester...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area