U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
466 posts, read 873,692 times
Reputation: 874

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
You havn't been to enough wing places in B-lo, because there are alot.
I tried enough to know the average wing in Buffalo wasn't much different then the average one in Rochester.

And yes, I also have fond memories of Jim's Steakout at about 4 am, but that's because I was too drunk to realize how much I was being ripped off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM
 
525 posts, read 1,689,859 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I tried enough to know the average wing in Buffalo wasn't much different then the average one in Rochester.

And yes, I also have fond memories of Jim's Steakout at about 4 am, but that's because I was too drunk to realize how much I was being ripped off.
I should add that I refuse to disclose how many years ago I was in Buffalo eating Jim's Steakout at 4 am, but it is significant, so a lot may have changed since then
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
466 posts, read 873,692 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I should add that I refuse to disclose how many years ago I was in Buffalo eating Jim's Steakout at 4 am, but it is significant, so a lot may have changed since then
Well you want a sub and a drink, it's over 10 bucks. I know many places, with even better subs, that I can get for much cheaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM
 
525 posts, read 1,689,859 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Well you want a sub and a drink, it's over 10 bucks. I know many places, with even better subs, that I can get for much cheaper.
That is more expensive than I remember...but if I go similar places around here like Philly Steakout, it is pretty close to that. Even a garbage plate and a drink will run you at least $8.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
466 posts, read 873,692 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
That is more expensive than I remember...but if I go similar places around here like Philly Steakout, it is pretty close to that. Even a garbage plate and a drink will run you at least $8.
I mean they aren't outrageous, just every time I go there and spend 11 or 12 bucks for a sub and a drink I felt a bit ripped off. But generally, I have positive memories and thought towards Jims Steakout for the most part. Especially the one on Elmwood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
 
35 posts, read 52,726 times
Reputation: 30
Default Another Brooklynite considering Rochester area.

@BKtoRochester, how was your transition to Rochester? I too am in a similar boat as you are.

I am originally from Brooklyn, NY (Sheepshead Bay). I left in 2007 to go to college in Buffalo and stayed in Buffalo for law school. I am still in Buffalo and about to finish law school. I now live in Kenmore, a small suburb just north of the Buffalo City border. It is not too suburban, as it is walkable and has many nice stores in walking distance. Sadly, Buffalo has a driving attitude; not many walk around.



Recently, I got engaged and my fiancée is from Binghamton, though we live in Kenmore. She has been to Brooklyn several times with me and enjoys the city lifestyle, but she is not a fan of public transportation. I am at quite a crossroads in my life. On one hand, I can get used to the slower pace of Western New York and be happy with a nice house and yard, etc. On the other, I miss Brooklyn and NYC so much. Looking down the road, I know how expensive NYC will be, how much better the quality of life will be outside of NYC, and how I can use the connections I've built here in WNY. Recently, I received a potential job prospect that will come to be a few years down the road in the Rochester area. I have been to Rochester and the surrounding suburbs on various trips both work and leisure. But, I do not know enough about it to truly consider how we would deal with a move there.



With me going into the practice of law and my fiancée in counseling and nursing, I am not worried about jobs as much. Any advice would be appreciated. Notably, all of the previous comments were helpful in giving me a feel for the area, and many of my interests were the same as the original post. A friend of mine is from Greece, NY. She recommended Brighton as well. She seems to think it will be more of my pace a balance between suburban housing and trendy neighborhood.




Best,




Henry

Last edited by stealth878; 05-30-2013 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: notification
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
 
1,121 posts, read 1,898,324 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtoRochester? View Post
Has anyone on the forum moved from NYC or a major city to Rochester? What were your biggest adjustments? Positives and Negatives?

My biggest concern is leaving behind the culture (live music, galleries and theatre)...but when I think about it, I'm always feeling so broke that I hardly do these things! It seems to make more sense to commit to visiting 3/4 times a year, and staying with friends and enjoying the city that way.
I didn't read the other posts on here, but I did the opposite move. I grew up in Greece, NY then Albion, NY then Lockport, NY then moved to LI then to Queens with plans to move to Rochester or Buffalo. It's a culture shock coming to a big city. Like you said you are always broke so it's hard to do everything that is offered. You deff have to scale down your expectations. If you are the type that spends their life at the theater, then it's going to seem rough. If you go to some productions, see a live show sometimes, and go to some bars/lounges then you will be perfectly fine. Think of it as a very tiny Astoria. I would say your best bet is just to live in the city and make it work with the schooling. You would have everything you need and you wouldn't have to sacrifice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
 
64,185 posts, read 89,569,651 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth878 View Post
@BKtoRochester, how was your transition to Rochester? I too am in a similar boat as you are.

I am originally from Brooklyn, NY (Sheepshead Bay). I left in 2007 to go to college in Buffalo and stayed in Buffalo for law school. I am still in Buffalo and about to finish law school. I now live in Kenmore, a small suburb just north of the Buffalo City border. It is not too suburban, as it is walkable and has many nice stores in walking distance. Sadly, Buffalo has a driving attitude; not many walk around.



Recently, I got engaged and my fiancée is from Binghamton, though we live in Kenmore. She has been to Brooklyn several times with me and enjoys the city lifestyle, but she is not a fan of public transportation. I am at quite a crossroads in my life. On one hand, I can get used to the slower pace of Western New York and be happy with a nice house and yard, etc. On the other, I miss Brooklyn and NYC so much. Looking down the road, I know how expensive NYC will be, how much better the quality of life will be outside of NYC, and how I can use the connections I've built here in WNY. Recently, I received a potential job prospect that will come to be a few years down the road in the Rochester area. I have been to Rochester and the surrounding suburbs on various trips both work and leisure. But, I do not know enough about it to truly consider how we would deal with a move there.



With me going into the practice of law and my fiancée in counseling and nursing, I am not worried about jobs as much. Any advice would be appreciated. Notably, all of the previous comments were helpful in giving me a feel for the area, and many of my interests were the same as the original post. A friend of mine is from Greece, NY. She recommended Brighton as well. She seems to think it will be more of my pace a balance between suburban housing and trendy neighborhood.




Best,




Henry
Brighton seems to be the best choice and it has walkable areas, great schools and is close to the nightlife in the Southeastern portion of Rochester. I'd say to look specifically around the 12 Corners area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM
 
35 posts, read 52,726 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Brighton seems to be the best choice and it has walkable areas, great schools and is close to the nightlife in the Southeastern portion of Rochester. I'd say to look specifically around the 12 Corners area.


Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
 
64,185 posts, read 89,569,651 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth878 View Post
Thank you!
No problem and I should have provided information a long time ago. Irondequoit also has walkable areas and good schools, but is across town. West Irondequoit seems to have a better rep than East Irondequoit in terms of schools, but both are at least solid. Irondequoit could still be an option if Brighton falls through for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top