Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM

131 posts, read 790,509 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to Brighton at the end of this month. We're moving from Westchester and my two kids (boys, 15 and almost-13) are convinced that they will not find the kind of interesting places to shop that they enjoy in NYC--namely, old record stores, thrift stores, etc. For myself, I would love tips on the best used bookstores in the area.
Thanks!
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,678,271 times
There are a few interesting places to shop. In the south wedge you will find "thread", a shop that sells clothing from designers from NYC. A Step Apart on Park ave sells similar clothing. Also in the south wedge there is a shop that opened up. I think its called Nook. I think you can get used books and records there. There are plenty of thrift stores around. If you go to Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester, it should list some.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 72,772 times
Check out the House of Guitars if you are looking for anything music related.. The House Of Guitars Rochester NY 585 544 9928.
You can also find some music and thrif stores up and down Park avenue.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 95,744 times
Greece Ridge Mall is a pretty nice place to shop at also.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Thanks!

Great suggestions--I didn't know about Rochester Wiki; that will help a lot!
(We did know about the House of Guitars as my sons both play--they can't wait to get there!)

Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,536 times
The nicest mall in the area is Eastview - simply because it has a handful of upscale stores not at the others. However, it still remains the typical mall of which there are plenty in the tri-state area.

As far as independent stores, Parkleigh is wonderful for gifts. Village Gate on University is a collection of shops that are unique - it's very small - there are also some dining options there. I believe there's a small used book store as well - but we are definitely lacking good used book stores in the area. There are other clusters of interesting stores in Pittsford Village (more pricey) and along Monroe Ave.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:35 AM

525 posts, read 1,821,338 times
If your into music, definitely check out the House of Guitars in Irondequoit as mentioned above. You can spend a week in there and still not see everything. Also, in the Village Gate there is the Bop Shop (The Bop Shop at bopshop.com) which I like. My list of other interesting stores to investigate (just off the top of my head, there are numerous I am forgetting for sure) are the Rochester Public Market, The Brown Bag Book Shop on Monroe near Oxford, Pittsford Wegmans (yes the grocery store), and finally take your boys to Nick Tahoe's (or just Nick's) for a garbage plate. They will be fans for life.

EDIT: I just thought of one more place you must visit. Abbott's Frozen Custard. There is a reason there are barely any Dairy Creams, Carvels, etc. in Rochester and this is it.

Last edited by rochacha; 06-05-2007 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks!
They are going to love the Bop Shop!
Is there any way to tell by the business address what town a store on Monroe Ave. is in? I know it's a long street; part of it runs through Brighton & Pittsford & I'm just trying to figure out where some of these places (like the Brown Bag Bookshop) will be in relation to me.
We've visited in the area many times over the years (my husband is from upstate and we've finally decided to move there to be near his family and maybe actually save some money.) So we've had Abbott's frozen custard, and my husband has had a garbage plate (I'm not going near that one!)
We actually visited the Eastview Mall last time we were there as my sister-in-law said it was her favorite one. We only saw a corner of it, but it looks very nice (we got sucked into Verizon Wireless and wound up getting cell phones for everyone!)
Oh, and the Pittsford Wegman's is actually going to be the closest grocery store to my new house. We stopped in last month and I couldn't believe how big it was. Coming from Westchester where even the "super" grocery stores seem cramped, this one is unbelievable.
I do wish that there were a Trader Joe's, but I can understand their reluctance to move into the market with Wegman's so dominant there.
Three weeks to go--I can't wait to move!
Karen

Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 PM

525 posts, read 1,821,338 times
Karen,

The best way to tell is probably the zip code. 14607 is the city. 14610 is Brighton. 14534 is Pittsford. There may be a couple more in there, but that should cover the majority. The Brown Bag Bookstore is a little ways past 490 headed towards the city. I would use one of the many map sites to get a more specific idea or even driving directions.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM

254 posts, read 1,054,270 times
First of all congrats on your move to Brighton! I grew up there! Where will you be living? As for shopping there are a lot of cool unique stores. Monroe Ave in the city has some funky stores that adults and teen really like as does Park Avenue (my sil also owns a boutique on Park ave 2 Chic Boutique) Parkleigh is great! University has a great artist store called craft company #5 . there is also the village gate on goodman (and an awesome fabric store/craft place right there as well...I don't know why my brain isn't working tonight! I can't think of the name of it) You kids can check out record archive (2 locations MT Hope and East Avenue) Also Shoen Place in Pittsford has some unique shops as does the village of Pittsford. There used to be a great used book store on Park ave with a little cafe right by Oxford street..not sure if it is still there (is it the brown bag someone mentioned?) There is also a big used bookstore in Webster. I'm sure I can think of more!

Best of luck on your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area