Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

I moved here a year ago. I am picking up a nasty trend. Apart from the shaky-at-best driving skills, I am assaulted by a-holes every time I leave my apartment. No, I don't provoke or even approach them - in some people's eyes, "ask for it." I just see it. Is it Pittsford/Webster spilling over, or is this just how people are "today"?

The only reason I ask and take the time to write a little thing on this site is the regularity and consistency with which it happens. I mean, it would make me loads of cash if I started to bet people on it. I can't visit Wegmans or Tops in Penfield without being pushed around, walked over, run into by cars, and observing/hearing absolutely appalling behavior. It's like a bunch of spoiled little kids just stayed here to grow up and raise more maladjusted kids. I'm really being honest here - it's not just a one-time "ooh I'm so mad that person pissed me off I'm gonna go rant" thing. It's...every...day.

I expect that the only people who will notice this and admit they see it are those who....well, aren't originally from Penfield. Die-hard Penfieldians will flip out and express their personality in response to this post. I'll bet you on it.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,698,066 times
I notice this in Webster. I spend teenage years there when it was much smaller, and go back there on occasion and see the same thing. Soccer moms in SUVs no paying attention to stop signs and walkways, ignoring that pedestrians have the right of way. People generally being inconsiderate. From what I see, it's like this in many "newer" suburbs. I was recently working in New England and got the same treatment in a town called Westwood.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 AM

233 posts, read 684,437 times
I've noticed this, too. But shhh, people will come in here and defend the area no matter what. We're the loonies.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,850,967 times
Ok, I grew up in Fairport.... total DIE HARD Fairportonian... those who know me on here will agree with that.... but I currently live in the Penfield Area... I have to say I see that behavior EVERYWHERE.... and it isn't because I live in Penfield. I go to Wegmans in Webster-both Holt Rd and Bay, Perinton, Pittsford, East Ave, Maiden Lane in Greece.... go to them all frequently and I have to say I have seen that behavior everywhere... the mall, Pittsford Plaza, Greece Ridge.... I think it is just society getting too self absorbed. I don't think people use their heads like they should and have lost touch with social "rules" so to speak. Unfortunately I, as a teacher, am blaming schools. They do not punish children today for being rude... they do not teach children to behave as proper citizens... they are too afraid of hurting feelings or getting in trouble with parents for punishing their children. What will these children grow up to be? Rude and Obnoxious adults.... I don't think it has to do with location to be honest, since it is that way everywhere....

Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM

42 posts, read 104,516 times
I agree with all of the comments above...however if it is happening all the time to you..maybe you are doing something incorrect. I admit to getting very annoyed at people (at Wegmans or wherever) that are simply clueless to their surroundings- leaving their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle as they pick out what type of high calorie cereal they are going to buy today. Walking in the parking lot down the middle of the "road". Deciding to pay by check and hand write the entire check after all food has been rung up-you have been waiting in line for 5 minutes doing nothing!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Not saying this is you but.....You may not be purposely provoking it, but don't walk around in a public place day dreaming about various stuff and getting in other peoples way- save that for the park or your own quiet private place.

Again...I am not saying this is your story, please do not take this post that way.

None of this is specific to Penfield, Webster, Pittsford, Greece, etc. You may run into less of it in the Southern part of the US though.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,582,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverush View Post
I moved here a year ago. I am picking up a nasty trend. Apart from the shaky-at-best driving skills, I am assaulted by a-holes every time I leave my apartment. No, I don't provoke or even approach them - in some people's eyes, "ask for it." I just see it. Is it Pittsford/Webster spilling over, or is this just how people are "today"?

The only reason I ask and take the time to write a little thing on this site is the regularity and consistency with which it happens. I mean, it would make me loads of cash if I started to bet people on it. I can't visit Wegmans or Tops in Penfield without being pushed around, walked over, run into by cars, and observing/hearing absolutely appalling behavior. It's like a bunch of spoiled little kids just stayed here to grow up and raise more maladjusted kids. I'm really being honest here - it's not just a one-time "ooh I'm so mad that person pissed me off I'm gonna go rant" thing. It's...every...day.

I expect that the only people who will notice this and admit they see it are those who....well, aren't originally from Penfield. Die-hard Penfieldians will flip out and express their personality in response to this post. I'll bet you on it.

Great post
Something I have run into for a long time . Unfortunately its not just Penfield its most of Roch/ Monroe county/ Western NY.

I know I will get flak from agreeing with you but Wake up people be courteous ! ya like that will help

So glad I moved!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,877,183 times
Yeah, this kinda crap happens everywhere. Nobody has any respect anymore and seems everyones awareness of others is totally lost. Although I do agree with the poster who said it happens less in the south. I hope one day soon I'll be down there myself and away from the snobs up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I think it is just society getting too self absorbed. I don't think people use their heads like they should and have lost touch with social "rules" so to speak. Unfortunately I, as a teacher, am blaming schools. They do not punish children today for being rude... they do not teach children to behave as proper citizens... they are too afraid of hurting feelings or getting in trouble with parents for punishing their children. What will these children grow up to be? Rude and Obnoxious adults.... I don't think it has to do with location to be honest, since it is that way everywhere....
You just hit the nail on the head with everything you just said.

All I can say is that when something happens to any of you, raise a stink and ***** about it. Be an a$$hole to the person. If you get hit in the parking lot, make an example of that person. If someone is walking down the middle of the lot while youre trying to find a parking spot, honk and get right up on their a$$. We have become too complacent and people think nowadays that they can get away with anything without thinking about the consequences.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 AM

If you don't think it happens in the south, you're in for a big surprise, unless you move to a small town. Every single decent sized metro area in the country will have this type of behavior.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If you don't think it happens in the south, you're in for a big surprise, unless you move to a small town. Every single decent sized metro area in the country will have this type of behavior.
You took the words out of my mouth and what's odd is that it might be just as bad considering the people moving to metros in the South and you still get some rude people down there as well.

I think there was a recent incident in Houston where some girl got killed over parking spot at a local Wal*Mart.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You took the words out of my mouth and what's odd is that it might be just as bad considering the people moving to metros in the South and you still get some rude people down there as well.

I think there was a recent incident in Houston where some girl got killed over parking spot at a local Wal*Mart.
exactly. Lot's of the people moving down are from the north so you get the same types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area