Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 35,727 times

Advertisements

Hi guys not sure if any of you guys remember me but I moved my family here from Maine last year at around this time and decided to move to Cornhill.

Well I'm moving again lol just had enough of this on-street parking. I was looking at this home in Macedon by the way is the correct way to say it (Mas-e-den or Mas-e-don) I was told the "o" is an "e" for the correct way.

Anyways I see Macedon is a very small town with only 1.4k people. I know I just moved from country living but in less than a year I see country has more advantages than I let on.

I was wondering now with Macedon is it like a typical country area and crime is almost non-existent? I know the pop is VERY low but not always means little crime.

Second, how are the schools in Macedon? From what I gathered too Macedon is in another county right? Is their taxes still 8% there too?

Also if there is anything else I should know about Macedon please feel free to throw it in.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike081983 View Post
Hi guys not sure if any of you guys remember me but I moved my family here from Maine last year at around this time and decided to move to Cornhill.

Well I'm moving again lol just had enough of this on-street parking. I was looking at this home in Macedon by the way is the correct way to say it (Mas-e-den or Mas-e-don) I was told the "o" is an "e" for the correct way.

Anyways I see Macedon is a very small town with only 1.4k people. I know I just moved from country living but in less than a year I see country has more advantages than I let on.

I was wondering now with Macedon is it like a typical country area and crime is almost non-existent? I know the pop is VERY low but not always means little crime.

Second, how are the schools in Macedon? From what I gathered too Macedon is in another county right? Is their taxes still 8% there too?

Also if there is anything else I should know about Macedon please feel free to throw it in.

Thanks
Mike,

Macedon is a nice, quiet town. Lots of good housing, some rentals (even single family ones). Lots of retail opening up out that way. Victor, Perinton, 441, etc., are close by.

I have family who live in Macedon, Farmington, and Victor, and they like the more semi-rural lifestyle.

Wayne Cty. property taxes are high for the area, although home values is spots might help (not as high as, say, Perinton). Lots of older housing, too, if that's your thing.

Some report Pal-Mac school district leaves some to be desired, but who knows. Others here might be able to inform you more about it.

Macedon's crime rates are low. I'd imagine a lot of folks leave the keys in the ignition in parts of Macedon, and don't think anything of it (judging by what friends of mine whom have lived there say).

Rte. 31 was widened some years back, so getting to 490 in Perinton is pretty easy. In all my years of driving in Rochester, I found 441 and 31F to be good ways to get out to Wayne Cty., to the area you're looking at. Commuting from the east side is easy, for most folks.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
You might consider Gananda (which is essentially a port of Macedon but with its own school district with a better reputation) Gananda is essentially a small suburban enclave in the other wise small town/country Macedon/Wayne County area. Many new homes there in planned subdivisions if that's your kind of thing, or as howard pointed out there are also many old historic looking farm houses in the more country areas as well if you prefer that.

Just be aware, that if you move out to Wayne County you WILL be subjected to the label of a ...gasp.....315er!!!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM

93,339 posts, read 123,972,828 times
For information about school districts in that area, check here: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
One Suggestion... if you want to live in Macedon... I would aim for Walworth/surrounding area. You would get the benefit of the country life with the added perk of Penfield Schools! There are a lot of new/new builds out that way as well for not as much as you would find in the majority of Monroe County as well.... Also check out Gananda... they have a great school district....

Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You might consider Gananda (which is essentially a port of Macedon but with its own school district with a better reputation) Gananda is essentially a small suburban enclave in the other wise small town/country Macedon/Wayne County area. Many new homes there in planned subdivisions if that's your kind of thing, or as howard pointed out there are also many old historic looking farm houses in the more country areas as well if you prefer that.

Just be aware, that if you move out to Wayne County you WILL be subjected to the label of a ...gasp.....315er!!!!!
Good point about Gananda. It's a planned community with some weird rules, but if you look past that there are some nice people out there, including the guy who publishes the famous (infamous?) Wayne County Times Part of the town is older, post-war, then there's the newer planned part that was built in the 70's and early 80's. 441 into the city is a breeze, from Gananda. You can be in the east side of the city in like 15 minutes or so.

My cousin and his wife bought an old farm house out there, and did a TON of work to it. Real PITA, but they paid only $95K, initially, and the house is on the National Register of Historic Places for something or other.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 35,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

I'm just curious what's the story on this 315er? Lol I mean my wife is part of some social network threads and she gets told this a lot. So it made me more curious to what the story was behind it.

I mean I grew up in Houston, Tx and when you were labeled by your area code it basically meant you were "representing" your area. Is it the same way up here as well?

Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 AM

200 posts, read 604,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike081983 View Post
I'm just curious what's the story on this 315er? Lol I mean my wife is part of some social network threads and she gets told this a lot. So it made me more curious to what the story was behind it.

I mean I grew up in Houston, Tx and when you were labeled by your area code it basically meant you were "representing" your area. Is it the same way up here as well?
Not quite. You know the guys that have cars on blocks on the lawn in front of their trailer? The guys who get charged with DUI while driving their mower? The women with poodle hair and spandex stirrup pants dragging six dirty buck toothed kids behind them on their way to the flea market? All 315ers. It's like calling someone a hillbilly. Howard mentioned the Wayne County newspaper- pick it up sometime. You'll get the idea.
The area you're looking at isn't like that, but you get about 20 miles into the 315 area code and it gets a bit scary.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Not quite. You know the guys that have cars on blocks on the lawn in front of their trailer? The guys who get charged with DUI while driving their mower? The women with poodle hair and spandex stirrup pants dragging six dirty buck toothed kids behind them on their way to the flea market? All 315ers. It's like calling someone a hillbilly. Howard mentioned the Wayne County newspaper- pick it up sometime. You'll get the idea.
The area you're looking at isn't like that, but you get about 20 miles into the 315 area code and it gets a bit scary.
Yes, western Wayne County is nice, although some might argue Sodus is a great place. Basically, the further east you go in Wayne County the more trashy it gets. It's to the point where Newark, Lyons, Marion, and a few other towns have a certain reputation.

My brother in law grew up in Newark, and even he jokes about it, sometimes. Outside of a handful of decent employers out that way, there's not much that goes on in Wayne County besides agriculture.

Here's the Times of Wayne County

The guy who publishes it gets constant death threats due to the fact he prints mug shots and other miscellany in the Times. The print version was always great weekly entertainment at work.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Yes, western Wayne County is nice, although some might argue Sodus is a great place. Basically, the further east you go in Wayne County the more trashy it gets. It's to the point where Newark, Lyons, Marion, and a few other towns have a certain reputation.

My brother in law grew up in Newark, and even he jokes about it, sometimes. Outside of a handful of decent employers out that way, there's not much that goes on in Wayne County besides agriculture.

Here's the Times of Wayne County

The guy who publishes it gets constant death threats due to the fact he prints mug shots and other miscellany in the Times. The print version was always great weekly entertainment at work.
My wife grew up in Palymra. Her family subscribes to the paper and without fail, they can find someone they know in each edition. Many of these towns are small knit communities where everyone knows everyone. As she would describe, far enough away from the city to seclude themselves, but not enough activity to keep residents occupied. It has created a drug culture among many of the folk, and you can not get arrested without the entire town knowing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area