Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,873,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
I think these plates are ideal for college guys and I don't mind if many people other than me enjoy them. I am just arguing that these are not impressive cuisine. Can you imagine serving a garbage plate to a foreign dignitary or to a great chef and presenting it as a culinary feat? No. Many people enjoy meat, potatoes, and pasta, but the garbage plate is just a "dump" of those items and not a truly special creation. Perhaps some of you have not seen or tasted a well-composed and visually appealing meal before? To most people a heap of food mixed together is not beautiful but reminiscent of barf (which is not appetizing, unless, as I pointed out earlier, you happen to be drunk). Full disclosure: I moved here from Portland, Oregon and so perhaps we have very different ideas about what constitutes good food.
I don't know about you people, but when I think of food I think of something that tastes good and satisfies my taste buds. I couldn't give a rats ass how appealing it looks. You ever eat chili? That looks more like barf than a plate does. Or what about pasta salad? That doesn't necessarily look appealing if it has vegetables, cheese, or meat in it. Come to think of it, the only food that truly looks appealing would be something like fruits and vegetables.

And if the plate isn't a special creation, then please explain why you can't go anywhere else in the country and either get one, or get one as good as a Rochester plate.

Also, for what it's worth, it does seem as though pictures of plates really don't do them any justice. Almost every picture of a plate I have ever seen looks nothing like what I get in the styrofoam container when I buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 PM

466 posts, read 978,340 times
Since we're on the subject, anyone have a favorite place? The best plate I've had in Rochester is from Dogtown on Monroe Ave. They are fantastic.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,412,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I don't know about you people, but when I think of food I think of something that tastes good and satisfies my taste buds. I couldn't give a rats ass how appealing it looks. You ever eat chili? That looks more like barf than a plate does. Or what about pasta salad? That doesn't necessarily look appealing if it has vegetables, cheese, or meat in it. Come to think of it, the only food that truly looks appealing would be something like fruits and vegetables.

And if the plate isn't a special creation, then please explain why you can't go anywhere else in the country and either get one, or get one as good as a Rochester plate.

Also, for what it's worth, it does seem as though pictures of plates really don't do them any justice. Almost every picture of a plate I have ever seen looks nothing like what I get in the styrofoam container when I buy one.
I like the spicy meat sauce they use. Definitely a "Northern" thing, in fact I've seen it as far west as Milwaukee.

A few transplants to SC have opened bars/restaurants which feature stuff like Boss Sauce. Lemme tell ya, they eat it like it's going out of style, down here. I got my neighborhood hooked on Red Hot, Boss Sauce, and Country Sweet sauce.

Now only if we could get someone to sell garbage plates...

Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah, the hot sauce is the best part of a plate in my eyes (or mouth ), it's just not complete without a good heaping of it! My dad makes a pretty kick ass hot sauce too. It's one of those things that if I ever move anywhere else, I will make sure to bring a recipe for just in case it's somewhere that doesn't know what a good hot meat sauce is.

Boss Sauce, maaan don't even get me started on that stuff. I could almost drink it straight from the bottle lol.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 PM

233 posts, read 683,391 times
I hope Country Sweet is still around when I'm old.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Since we're on the subject, anyone have a favorite place? The best plate I've had in Rochester is from Dogtown on Monroe Ave. They are fantastic.
Plates I've had: Henrietta Hots, Empire, Stevie T's, Dogtown, Mark's Texas Hots, Jay's Diner

Favorite: Henrietta Hots

Least Favorite: Stevie T's

Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 AM

If you ever have a chance to stop by Charlotte Hots on Lake Ave about 2 miles south of the beach, do it, they have fantastic plates. Great hot sauce, home fries, and mac salad. It's right next to a Seven 11 across from 42 School. As soon as our wife pops out our first little one in just over a month, that will hopefully be one of our first normal meals after her pregnancy haha. We've been watching what she eats so a plate right now is kind of out of the question.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

466 posts, read 978,340 times
I've been to all those places, all pretty good. I especially like Empire Hots and Henrietta Hots. But Dogtown still takes the cake for me. And it's the homefries that do it. One of the only places where they give you very crispy homefries, which take the plate to another level.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,422,095 times
Dogtown hours are WAY too whack tho

Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM

I thought they were open during the afternoon and in to the late night. What are their hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area