Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 16,546 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am moving to Rochester from NYC. I'm a single woman, and I'll be working at the UofR medical campus. I need to sign a lease quickly, so here is my question:

I've read a bunch of threads about safety in Rochester, but I wanted to get your input on this particular set of neighborhoods.

I saw one apartment at East Ave. near Harvard, right near Eastman House. For some reason, the area seemed really deserted and quiet ... is that normal? It's not what I was expecting!

The other places I'm looking are: on Mount Hope not far from the Ford bridge, and near the intersection of Gregory and South Ave. So far, the latter seems like the safest location to me. The northern part of Mount Hope close to the inner loop seems kind of abandoned, although I know they're planning on building a lot of stuff there.

I definitely am not a suburbs/"community" (e.g. Rustic Village) type of person. I love city living, but I once accidentally moved in next to a crack den in D.C., and I've been a little more careful since then ...

I realize this topic has been addressed a few times, but I just wanted to get your advice on these specific areas! Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
They all would seem to be good in terms of safety. It seems like the South Wedge location is more of your cup of tea.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,872,802 times
Stay away from Ford St on either side of the river, period. If you've found a quiet area, don't complain because you'll be safer.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 PM

232 posts, read 800,463 times
The location near Eastman House would actually be safer than the Gregory/South intersection. The latter is within walking distance of public housing. Not sure what you mean by "East Ave near Harvard", as they run parallel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisfudd View Post
Hi everyone! I am moving to Rochester from NYC. I'm a single woman, and I'll be working at the UofR medical campus. I need to sign a lease quickly, so here is my question:

I've read a bunch of threads about safety in Rochester, but I wanted to get your input on this particular set of neighborhoods.

I saw one apartment at East Ave. near Harvard, right near Eastman House. For some reason, the area seemed really deserted and quiet ... is that normal? It's not what I was expecting!

The other places I'm looking are: on Mount Hope not far from the Ford bridge, and near the intersection of Gregory and South Ave. So far, the latter seems like the safest location to me. The northern part of Mount Hope close to the inner loop seems kind of abandoned, although I know they're planning on building a lot of stuff there.

I definitely am not a suburbs/"community" (e.g. Rustic Village) type of person. I love city living, but I once accidentally moved in next to a crack den in D.C., and I've been a little more careful since then ...

I realize this topic has been addressed a few times, but I just wanted to get your advice on these specific areas! Thanks very much

Old 04-10-2010, 03:14 AM

350 posts, read 1,086,680 times
Actually, the location on East Ave is by far the safest - even though quiet at night, it is a much safer area than the other two. South Ave/Gregory St is OK - just need to exercise common sense and be cautious. I would recommend to avoid the Ford Street area. I would definitely recommend the East Ave area over the other two - it's the nicest area of the city to live in.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "East Ave near Harvard", as they run parallel.
Oops, sorry, I meant near Oxford.

I guess I was just concerned about the East Ave. location since there seemed to be no one on the street ... but maybe that's just what I'm used to.

Thanks, everyone, for the confirmation of my suspicions about Ford Street!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,679,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
The location near Eastman House would actually be safer than the Gregory/South intersection. The latter is within walking distance of public housing. Not sure what you mean by "East Ave near Harvard", as they run parallel.
they tore town that housing project last year and have plans to build newer, nicer apartments.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,976,636 times
East ave is your best bet. the entire st is upper class apartments, homes and mansions. There isn't one part of the st that is not desirable, but maybe not affordable. And that includes downtown all the way out to Pittsford.

Most of the south wedge is decent or mixed. I would agree with Garmin on the areas around the river to south Ave. I personally don't care for Clinton especially around the clinic. I had someone approach me in my car, asking for money during the winter. Ever since then I don't really care for the area. It is definitely mixed, but probably is not as bad as what I am making it out to be.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM

200 posts, read 602,059 times
From east & oxford your are within walking distance to park ave and the east end. It's not Manhattan, but it's nice, safe, and you'll find there is a lot to do in those neighborhoods. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Hi all, Thanks for all your help! In the interim, I found a great place near Oxford and Park, and pending routine stuff, I should be all set! I'm really excited to move to Rochester

Can anyone tell me about the traffic between Park Ave. and the med center? Is there a lot of traffic during commuting hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area