Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know an affordable electric dog fence company in the Rochester area? I live in East Penfield- so Wayne/Ontairo Counties would also work..... A couple of days ago one of my dogs got out the back door and was killed when he was hit by a car. I want to prevent this from happening again but I want to keep the cost down. I would welcome any businesses you would suggest or other ideas..... thanks so much.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
I have invisible fence. But only because my parents in law and sis in law have it. That way we can watch each other dogs.

Invisible fence is probably the most overhyped, expensive system I have ever seen. If you use them, haggle. They priced us out at $2500. When we were done, we got down to under $1000 including install, and I still think we could have gone lower. Basically it is an RC car transmitter with a bunch of wire, nothing sophisticated at all.

We have a small city lot. My parents in law have a small rural lot. And my sis in law have a large suburban lot. None of them have signal problems, and that includes in rain and snow. We had the guy route ours through the flower bed, and he cut a line across the driveway right to the front of the porch. We can let the dogs out anywhere and they can hang out with us on the porch if they want. The dogs don't touch the flowers and are scared of the boundary.

The system works very well. The collar can be set to beep first, then shock, or you can set it for shock only. If the dog sees a bird and chases after it, the collar might beep, but not shock until they are through. You can set it however you want.

The system lets you know if there is a wire break. And they do have addons, like backup batteries. We didn't go that route, the power has never gone off in our neighborhood.

Now my parents have an offbrand unit. They have a large lot. They bought a large amount of wire and borrowed a sidewalk edge trimmer. They ran the trimmer along the property line and around the pond and were able to do it themselves for a much lower cost. They had some problems initially with a line break and low power, but worked out the bugs. You can use an AM radio and a choke coil from RadioShack to find the break. They have a huge dog also, and the dog often gets shocked but sometimes goes right through anyway, usually after animals. Then she doesn't want to go back in. They also have a much better remote, and can manually shock the dog at different power levels for barking or training.

Thats the jist of it from four different households.

To train the dog, you put up flags around the border. They dog wears the collar, with the shock prongs capped off. You walk the dog to the border, when it beeps, you pull the dog back. You do this for a few weeks or until the dog learns. When the dog gets used to the system, you remove the flags. For us, the flower beds and the driveway edge works as a nice border.

Sorry to hear about the dog too. We love our dogs, I bet my wife would be hysterical.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Thank You Cheese.... I appreciate your help with this...and you kind words (I was hysterical- doing better now) I just talked to my Husband and he said he doesn't trust his ability to put it in himself. I have 1/3 acre but don't have to do the whole lot. $1000 is actually very reasonable for the Invisible Fence. Thanks for letting me know about the haggling.... He agrees we need to do something- the heartache of loosing our little pooch has taught us a VERY difficult lesson. The dog we would be doing it for is about 10lbs.... I hope she is big enough for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: