Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times

Advertisements

If there are any How do you live and spend your spare time?

Also, are you actively dating or is that a back-burner thing?

I currently live in a large town, but looking to move to a much smaller town. No more than 10k in population and away from any big cities/town/etc. I'm looking to hear how you singles live in isolated areas.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:38 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I'm single and older and I have no interest in dating. My social life revolves around my critters and my friends. Horse shows or group trail rides, dog shows, training etc. If you live on a farm there is no "spare time" there is ALWAYS something to do.

If you want to live rural, you better really like a solitary life, not that you won't have friends and neighbors but they are busy working their farms too.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post

I currently live in a large town, but looking to move to a much smaller town. No more than 10k in population and away from any big cities/town/etc. I'm looking to hear how you singles live in isolated areas.

Thanks.
I doubt you would have to live a --solitary-- lifestyle in a city approaching 10k population.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm single and older and I have no interest in dating. My social life revolves around my critters and my friends. Horse shows or group trail rides, dog shows, training etc. If you live on a farm there is no "spare time" there is ALWAYS something to do.

If you want to live rural, you better really like a solitary life, not that you won't have friends and neighbors but they are busy working their farms too.
That's true. Farming is an opinion also. Love me some homegrown food.

I know about solitary life. I've been doing it. And in this huge metro area to boot. Urban or rural, people lead solitary lives. The only difference is, you can't go out the back porch and pizz in the wind. I don't like to be around people too long. I just want to be around critters and earth, not siding and asphalt.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I doubt you would have to live a --solitary-- lifestyle in a city approaching 10k population.
Really...plenty of things to do in a typical 10k American town? What kind of activities? Assuming the town would welcome a newcomer. Won't be a loss either way, but life would be a tad better.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
When I moved to my current town of 2,000 2 years ago I didn't really have an interest in dating (I wasn't doing it in my former city of 400,000 either). I kept plenty busy with work and gardening and outdoors stuff though.

When I developed that interest awhile later I went to the internet. And it worked out nicely. As it is now, either he or I travel the 2.5 hours to the other each weekend, and focus on work during the week. We'll make a decision in the next year as to where to settle permanently together - it'll be a remote little place, I'm sure, even if it's not here (but it probably will be)!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Really...plenty of things to do in a typical 10k American town? What kind of activities? Assuming the town would welcome a newcomer. Won't be a loss either way, but life would be a tad better.
Where I live the population is about 9k. There is Walmart and some fast food places. Some good restraunts. But if you really want to go out and play, most people go to Stillwater. Its only a half hour away so thats fine. Most people here are retired and can't to spend a lot on socializing, but there are clubs and concerts which don't cost much up in Stillwater. Or they work and don't have a lot of time.

I rather like that we have a nice quiet town where there isn't much excitement but are close enough to one that has a university and even a counterculture of sorts. I went to a Celtic Festival last weeked there, and there are rock hound clubs and lots of creative people. It's just that in a town where the population isn't as large, you have to look for the places (like the festival) where you find them.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Where I live the population is about 9k. There is Walmart and some fast food places. Some good restraunts. But if you really want to go out and play, most people go to Stillwater. Its only a half hour away so thats fine. Most people here are retired and can't to spend a lot on socializing, but there are clubs and concerts which don't cost much up in Stillwater. Or they work and don't have a lot of time.

I rather like that we have a nice quiet town where there isn't much excitement but are close enough to one that has a university and even a counterculture of sorts. I went to a Celtic Festival last weeked there, and there are rock hound clubs and lots of creative people. It's just that in a town where the population isn't as large, you have to look for the places (like the festival) where you find them.
Just wondering, do you know the All-American Rejects? They're a band from Stillwater.

I don't know how old you are, but you probably have to be young to know about this band.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I just moved to a town of 2,000 and it's not really a mecca for dating, as you might expect. Alot of married couples and families. I'd prefer it if I was a bit closer to a big city (nearest one is 270km or about 185 miles away), but I don't mind the country lifestyle and it's mainly because of my job.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM

542 posts, read 588,339 times

I live with my parents and spends my spare time either walking around and/or photography

back-burner for a verrrrrrrrrrrrry long time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living