Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:11 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times

Advertisements

Our DIL lives 15 miles from the City but in her mind she lives in the city.It is nothing for her to make 4 or 5 trips to town a day.

We live 50 miles from the city make the trip on the most part 2 times a month.

We went by a house yesterday by us,my wife told me in the last 15 years it has changed hands 3 times.

This got me to thinking so many are trying to move from the city to the country but it doesn't take long for them to realize that its not that easy to shop or whatever every day.So they consider rural living just too hard.Not long and they are running back to the city.

See so many every year come here camping and say oh I would love to live here for the peace and quiet I'm thinking no you wouldn't!

Just some thoughts.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
We live 20 miles from a city of 5K and about 40 miles from a city of 11K. there is a small market in our town within 3 blocks and we walk to town daily to get the mail.

We used to live in the next town up about 10 miles away making it another 10 miles from the 5K city. We noticed a HUGE difference in just those 10 miles less to have to travel makes. Seems such a small amount but it adds another 30 minutes to your trip. We are 60 and 70 years old and even that added 30 minutes seems to make it bearable or over the top. Especially when the roads are bad. We usually do not go to town then.

We go to the city 20 miles away about once a week and some times twice. When we lived further away it was every two weeks like you.

I agree many people think they want the distance from cities and live out in the sticks but have not learned to deal with the lack of shopping and how to shop for weeks and even months at a time. Adlib or do with out.

We have lived much further out when we were younger , 189 miles one way to a K-Mart, and this is about as far as we want to live away from a city now. Well we are in a city now but it is about 150 people. Not much of a city. LOL

Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
Our town has the 3 year rule. If you are still here after 3 years, you probably are not ever going to leave. We are about 88 miles from the nearest city. Our town has about 12,000. We have a Walmart, Safeway, some fast food places, and mom & pop stores/restuarants. Alot of people think they will love it here, but end up hating it. Alot of times it seems to be the wives that hate it. We do get alot of people that want to retire up here because they had been here for camping and fishing. It seems like there are alot of people moving in and moving out.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
at least they leave, and don't stick around complaining...

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 AM

I lived in California for many years when I was younger. Started moving further out from Sacramento and the people just kept coming. LOL Finally we were having to commute so far to work and moved from Sacto to Rocklin/Loomis area to Newcastle then considered Auburn and that is when we decided to just get the heck OUT and moved to Idaho. Clayton population 39 people or so. THAT was one big move.

We too have noticed it is mostly the women that do not like the rural life style. I love it and can go for days with out needing to interact with people. NOT that I am antisocial ......................... OK maybe I am. LOL Anyway even where we are now not too far from a larger city we see the same as others. People come in and usually make it through one winter and they are anxious to boogie on out of here. that might be a good thing. Keeps our little town the same little town that made us want to move here.

Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 10:01 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
We too have noticed it is mostly the women that do not like the rural life style. I love it and can go for days with out needing to interact with people. NOT that I am antisocial ......................... OK maybe I am. LOL Anyway even where we are now not too far from a larger city we see the same as others. People come in and usually make it through one winter and they are anxious to boogie on out of here. that might be a good thing. Keeps our little town the same little town that made us want to move here.

Chris
Speaking as a female-type person, I've always bucked the trend. I grew up on a farm too far out of town to sign up for any extracurricular activities, preferred hiding in the woods with a good book to parties, and spent every spare minute hiking and backpacking the wilderness areas.

My poor city-boy husband learned 30 years ago that the way to "make my day" was not chocolate, roses, and a gift certificate to Nordstrom's, but instead to take me to the feed store and the farmer's market!

And the older I get, the less I need or can tolerate interaction with most people whose conversational abilities seem limited to DWTS and American Idol, and who have to be WITH someone every minute of the day, preferably shopping for useless s*** at the local mall.

I do fine 40 miles from my preferred big market, shopping only two or three times a month for necessities to add to my well-stocked pantry. And I live in a state where the constant gray gloom and rain chase most Californians back where they came from in a couple of years or so, thankfully.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Stonecypher Status: "Born 200 years too late..."

ME TOO Mother used to tell me this all the time. High school I had my horse to go ride and dream on. I did not get out of California until 24 years ago but I was working towards and saving for the day 15 -16 years before I left. Was my total goal.

LOL You and I would get along only you are more advanced. I have heard of Nordstroms vaguely never been to one. Thrift store works for me most of the time. And I have no clue whad DWTS means. I can be with my husband 24 7 for days on end but we do not need to be in each others space all of the time. We get along well. When he goes on snowmobile trips I am as happy as can be to hope he is having fun and comes home safely. Me I am having a ball doing nothing or working my butt off re-arranging furniture or cleaning the house,or my arts. Heheheheh

It takes a person that wants to live rural to be able to live rural happily. We do the well stocked pantry thing too. Now we are closer to shopping it is not as critical. Still we are in the habit of doing so. Why quit now?

Chris

Old 07-17-2010, 04:07 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
The bottom line is that it requires planning to be content in the country. On the days I do not have to go to work, I stay home; that's it. I make sure I've got the daily necessities, and whatever else I fancy to get me through a few days. The convenience of city living will never trump the country life for me.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
We too have noticed it is mostly the women that do not like the rural life style. I love it and can go for days with out needing to interact with people. NOT that I am antisocial ......................... OK maybe I am. LOL
Chris
We live very remotely, neighbors miles away, and surrounded by vast NF and BLM lands, and large ranches. Have been here a decade, and still love it. Our friends thought we'd gone over the edge, and would be back soon. They are still mystified, although when they visit, many stay over days longer than they'd planned because, well, it is like a vacation for them to be this disconnected from the bustle of their normal lives.

I can say that of almost everyone who has visited, there hasn't been a single man who hasn't said that he would live out here in a heartbeat, but that his wife would never go for it. The wives do ask me how I can stand the isolation, ie not seeing people for weeks, not shopping daily, no lattes at the coffee shop, etc. They like the views and animals and such, but can't envision being here day after day. I always wonder how they can live with all the noise and distractions of town life, lol. I still stay in touch by phone, and now internet, I order online without the crowds or hassles and have it delivered to the general store, and I bought an espresso machine and make better lattes for about 50 cents - and you can't beat the view I have while I sip them

While I like socializing, I always did better if I could take long extended times to recharge my batteries after having them so drained by "activities with others." While that wasn't possible when I was in my prime, working in a city and living outside it in a mildly rural area, now I can go a whole winter with only a few trips to town in a six month period, and it suits me very well. My whole family is pretty much like this, so probably a genetic component to my semi-anti social behavior. When I get even older, I think I might like to be in a town at some point. But I can go to town living anytime; whereas I won't always have the strength and agility to do this kind of life. So now is the time to be going for it.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Why are you assuming that it is the distance from town that precipitated the turnover? It could just as easily be job changes, financial straits, or problems with the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living