Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

Mayberry was a fairly crime ridden town. Just look at how many bank jobs and convicts came through there. Moonshiners, hillbilly feuds, etc. Even Highpoint, the town Mayberry was modeled after, is much higher in crime than many or most small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
And leaving the car running both generates pollution and burns gasoline in an utterly unnecessary fashion. It's small but does decrease environmental quality in a net way.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I get a real charge out of those that live in a particular town, who post on forums concerning crime in their towns, bragging about how in their city there's still no need to lock your doors and you can still leave the keys in the car.

These posters would never stop to think that there may be gang leaders/criminals from the big cities poring over these forums looking for easier pickings and are everso grateful for the info.
Have at it! Is what I would tell those looking for "easier pickings" in rural areas.

Just remember that in big cities, not a very high percentage of the people you are going to rob own a means of self-protection. A much higher percentage of people in small towns and rural areas not only own them, they know how to USE them; and are probably on a first name basis with whomever will be investigating why there is a wounded or dead big city hood on the front lawn.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And in the 00s. People really aren't too different wherever you go, and you'll find the same kind of corruption in big city and small town both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Exactly, which is why there is no Mayberry folks.
Wow, am I glad I haven't lived in the areas you two have to become so cynical. No not realistic either, cynical. Not everywhere is ruled by corruption and greed.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
West Michigan's got that kind of Pittsburgh thing going on where you gain more social status by potlach/donating a wing of the hospital than just about any other method. For all its flaws and bad winters, there's a lot I miss about it.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I started the discussion genius. Sounds like you and O Boy deserve each other.
I get it! That gives you carte blanche to be divisive, right? Not to mention wrong.

Sorry! I didn't know that.

Back on-topic, some of us have a great deal of experience with small town America and rural areas. But there are more small towns in this vast country than any of us will visit in a lifetime, or several. You never know what you're apt to find.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
West Michigan's got that kind of Pittsburgh thing going on where you gain more social status by potlach/donating a wing of the hospital than just about any other method. For all its flaws and bad winters, there's a lot I miss about it.
You're talking Grand Rapids, not all of west Michigan is like that. Nobody around here donating hospital wings. Plus the Devos, VanAndel, and Meijer families did not gain their social status by donating hospitals (entire hospitals not just wings), they had the status already through owning and operating very successful business's that they refuse to move out of their hometowns.. They just filled a need in their city that wouldn't have been filled otherwise. Must be nice really, wish I could drop 10 or 20 million to get a project started in my community that is desperately needed (then again 10 or 20 million would buy my entire community ).

Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Mayberry was a fairly crime ridden town. Just look at how many bank jobs and convicts came through there. Moonshiners, hillbilly feuds, etc. Even Highpoint, the town Mayberry was modeled after, is much higher in crime than many or most small towns.
Wasn't Mayberry based on Mt. Airy, NC, the town Andy Griffith grew up in?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Mayberry still exists but they have added pot, meth, and Qualuuds to the old fashioned alcohol to the indulgences list. They still run about the same way with haves getting away with things the have nots don't dare try. Not much has changed.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Yes and there are quite a few communities in Upstate NY and the Northeast that fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living