Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Nicely said SCGranny! I always assumed that if somebody were moving AWAY from one place, why would they try to make their new town just like the one they felt they had to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Nicely said SCGranny! I always assumed that if somebody were moving AWAY from one place, why would they try to make their new town just like the one they felt they had to leave.
Like illegal aliens.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
We moved from SC to NE 3 years ago.
They say it takes 20 years here to be considered a local. It's pretty much true.
BUT...
We didn't come here to change things. We don't tell other people how to live, or ever even imply that they do things 'wrong' - because we don't feel or think that they do. We ARE different; we have what they call 'round here "miniature cows" (Dexters) instead of the big Angus. We have chickens and we keep them in a coop and a pen instead of free-range. We have a garden where I put down garden cloth so I don't have to hack weeds all summer. We have 60 acres as opposed to hundreds. We are friendly but do our own thing on our own property. We sell eggs in the winter when locals can't get to the store - $1 a dozen. DH has a shop where he works on small engines and woodworking repairs for our neighbors. We respect and listen to other people's rights, boundaries, and opinions while not offering our own. We enjoy the folks around us and participate in the organizations, but do not try to lead anyone or anything.

We didn't come here to show or tell others how to do things; we came here to do our own thing, and we make as much fun of ourselves as the locals do. So while we are still 'furriners' with funny ideas and funny ways of doing things, we are happy and comfortable where we are and with ourselves and what we do.

From what I've seen, most folks move to places with expectations; they expect the people to like, admire, respect, and listen to them. They expect the area to cater to THEM, not the other way around. They expect people to listen to them endlessly expound on their own beliefs and experiences. These people are frequently completely surprised, some even angry and resentful, when that doesn't happen.

We came here with no expectations from others, only from ourselves - to be able to finally do what we've always dreamed of doing, in a place where people leave us alone. In that respect, this place really IS Mayberry - as long as you aren't bothering others with your expectations and demands, people are warm, friendly, open, welcoming, and fun.
Yeah, I mean, the last thing I would do is tell country people how to live in the country. Ex-city people actually do that?

In fact, I'd be so clueless as to life in the country that I would be grateful for any help from them, and would only hope that they'd accept us. Still a bit of a dream, regardless. Still tied financially to the city, but trying to free ourselves. Thanks very much for replying.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Yeah, I mean, the last thing I would do is tell country people how to live in the country. Ex-city people actually do that?

In fact, I'd be so clueless as to life in the country that
Quote:
I would be grateful for any help from them
, and would only hope that they'd accept us. Still a bit of a dream, regardless. Still tied financially to the city, but trying to free ourselves. Thanks very much for replying.
Ok....fry all your meat coated in cornmeal and use the grease for extra flavor.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Yes, the Mayberry exists both in mind and as a tangible place. Its Bedford, VA. Nice old fashioned downtown, hardware store with creaky wooden floors, and oh, what kind folks everywhere! Moved here 8 years ago from snobby CT.. this really is real McCoy!
Tell us more about your town if you would. Climate, what's in the area, fishing, etc. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Realize this is an old post, but as a big city Californian who sometimes does consider a move to a very small town, I'm curious why you (or anyone who agrees with you) think(s) this is?
No idea.

I am from California. I retired to a small town of 125.

I do not think it is hard to fit in.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
All the time!

You ever want to see rural people turn to stone in their attitude toward you just start a sentence "Well, back in the city we do it..."

People don't hear "Back in the city we do it..." they hear "Let me set you dumb hicks in the sticks straight..."

Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
outsider looking in, i can see how one would not be accepted in a small town
although we all like the mayberry charm
I doubt a place exists like this in todays world

dont fool your selves even the small town folks have their doubts , fears and such
they just arent going to welecome strangers to their way of life in a heartbeat
just wont happen
i have been thru a lot of small rural communities and feel as much as an outsider just go to one of their local restaurants or diners
i am not trying to be negative on the small towns its just they do really respect their privacy and to be honest i can respect their way of thinking too

Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
outsider looking in, i can see how one would not be accepted in a small town
although we all like the mayberry charm
I doubt a place exists like this in todays world
Acceptance takes time.

I have been told that often when urbanites move to rural towns, they leave again within a couple years.

They simply can not stand the peace, quite and low tax-base.

If you get active in local happenings, and yet refrain from trying to change how they do things; you will be accepted.

Far more of the nation is 'small town' then is 'big city'.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
"Mayberry" is a subjective term that is based on differing opinions. Some like it others don't. If I could take a decent amount of modern technology and transport myself back in time a few decades I definitely would. Many others would as wel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living