Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why are some people sooooooo proud of never taking simple safety precautions ?

I never understood it.
Cuz we're dumb. LOL If anyone wants to "break" into my car or steal it and put me out of my misery, more power to him/her. I'd rather keep the doors unlocked that risk locking my keys in the car.

The only reason I lock the doors in my house is for personal safety. Sadly, I will still take naps with the doors open, which is not that responsible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We just call that target practice.
I consider it just leaveing out bait Haven't had anyone nibble at it yet. Maybes it's the "caution entering a freefire zone" sign at the end of the driveway

Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
here-- over 70% of all home invasions are done thru unlocked windows and doors in hot weather.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 PM

35 posts, read 59,702 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call the two men who brutally murdered my cousin and her teenage son and daughter ---honest people.

They passed up the first few houses cuz they were locked.
Hers wasn't .
oh-so sorry to hear this,
life is precious, lock up everyone!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Most of my family lives out in a rural area in the midwest. They never lock their cars or trucks, in some cases they still leave the keys in the ignition.

We have a summer place out there on a lake, my aunt and uncle had the cottage next door. They didn't live in that cottage living in a house closer to their business. Not only didn't that cottage never get locked, the front door was NEVER closed in the summer (it had a porch so the rain wouldn't get in). In some cases a couple of weeks could go by with nobody dropping by. But it never occurred to them that the door shouldn't be open when no one was there.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
Quote:
Once again folks go off on a tangent w/o bothering to read the OP.

The OP asks about folks living in---small towns--.

Big difference from people living in --small towns-- and people living in rural areas with long driveways and dogs and shotguns for protections.

Heck , even the title of this forum distinguishes between small towns and rural living.
Yah we do live in a small town and within the city. Right on the road. We do not leave valuables i the car. Heck we do not have many of those to leave in the house.

I never even considered locking the door in the day time when we are home. Our dogs are really bad. We have to put them up when some one wants to come visit us. And then if we choose we will let them out. Once the dogs know it is an invited guest they behave.

Chris

Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
I always locked my car doors, but people kept stealing my stuff

I finally figured out it might help if I kept the convertible top up as well.

WTH!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 AM

389 posts, read 777,044 times
Yeah there is a bit of a difference between small town & rural. I live backwoods. That's rural because I'm extremely remote & I have 0 paved roads or driveways near me. Everything's dirt & grass. In a small town, there's still farming & what not, but it's either in or on the edge of a city. My nearest city limmits are 5+ miles off of my property.

Anyway, I've lived everywhere. Big city, small city, small town, & rural. You don't wanna leave your car & house unlocked EVER in a city of any kind. You can be a little more flimsy in a small town, but not @ night. In a rural area, I don't think you necessarily have to. I leave my truck unlocked. I leave the doors to my house locked @ night while I'm asleep. But I have 3 blood hounds out loose & a handgun by my side while I'm sleeping. If the dogs start barkin', that means somethings comin' through the woods towards the house. I ain't a light sleeper either. I look out the window to see if it's just a squirrel or a man.

If you don't have a gun @ all, I strongly suggest leaving everything locked & with an alarm no matter where you're @. No questions.

Jessie

Old 08-07-2010, 01:45 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
We don't lock the truck unless we're in the city. Out here, fumbling for keys to get the door open is valuable seconds lost escaping bear and moose. Plus, if a bear wants in the vehicle it doesn't matter whether it's locked or not. It's also not uncommon to see people's cars and trucks left running with the doors unlocked in the winter (when turning off your engine means you're stuck there) while they're inside shopping, etc. Again, the CITY is an entirely different thing... lock, lock, lock!

Right now we don't have a door or window to lock, can't really lock a tent flap When we get the cabin built, we'll lock our doors at night and put a lock pin in any open windows, even if only to give us a few more seconds to get dressed and grab the shotgun when Mr. Bear comes calling (doors & locks do no stop the bears, windows might as well not be there, and sometimes even walls don't keep them out). Locking doors and windows when we're off the property for sure, since a locked door is a deterent for most 2 & 4 legged thieves.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We don't lock the truck unless we're in the city. Out here, fumbling for keys to get the door open is valuable seconds lost escaping bear and moose. Plus, if a bear wants in the vehicle it doesn't matter whether it's locked or not. It's also not uncommon to see people's cars and trucks left running with the doors unlocked in the winter (when turning off your engine means you're stuck there) while they're inside shopping, etc. Again, the CITY is an entirely different thing... lock, lock, lock!

Right now we don't have a door or window to lock, can't really lock a tent flap When we get the cabin built, we'll lock our doors at night and put a lock pin in any open windows, even if only to give us a few more seconds to get dressed and grab the shotgun when Mr. Bear comes calling (doors & locks do no stop the bears, windows might as well not be there, and sometimes even walls don't keep them out). Locking doors and windows when we're off the property for sure, since a locked door is a deterent for most 2 & 4 legged thieves.
You could consider placing impact resistant windows on the ground level of your cabin if it is a regular occurance for bears to break through windows where you are located. Look for windows marketed Miami/Dade county standards. Impact-Resistant Windows - Residential, Windows

As with windows the door frames are often the weakest point for forced entry. There are a number of ways to strengthen door frames including using 3" or longer screws when installing the door frame or installing a metal bracket between the structure and the frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living