Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

We've got four vehicles, we pretty much always leave them unlocked with the keys in them all the time when we're at home. It's just more convenient that way.

The front door of our house is locked pretty much all the time because the office to the hunting lodge we manage is just off the entryway and we don't want people walking in unexpectedly looking for information. But it's not unusual for me to come home and find the front door locked and the back patio door, which opens onto a second-story deck, standing wide open so the cats can come and go as they please.

As I mentioned, we run a six-room hunting lodge in a town of 40 people. We see both extremes from our guests; some won't leave anything outside the room and always lock the door if they wander more than 10 feet away, while others will leave thousands of dollars of equipment spread all over the deck in from of the room and never give it a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
I don't live in town. However, I leave the front door unlocked when I go to sleep. Anyone who comes in the door will be greeted by a 75 pound Dutch shepherd who is a retired police dog. If that person is there to do harm, they will regret walking through the door.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
"I like dogs because they are an inexpensive burglar alarm."
Our two Manchesters bravely bark at every passing squirrel during the day. At night, however, it's a different story. Would someone break in the house to steal their blankets from under them, the dogs would just move over to the couch.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
"Our two Manchesters bravely bark at every passing squirrel during the day. At night, however, it's a different story. Would someone break in the house to steal their blankets from under them, the dogs would just move over to the couch."

LOL!

I love that "Mayhem" commercial about the family dog. That perfectly describes our 12 y/o Airedale. For a cookie and an ear scratch, she'd sell us out of house and home. Our little terrier/bearded collie mix would as you say, bravely take up the cause but at 25 pounds, she's not too much of a threat to anything above the kneecap.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
There are a lot of people around here that never lock their cars or even their houses. I am not one of those people and always lock both. There are bad people everywhere, even small towns.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
There are a lot of people around here that never lock their cars or even their houses. I am not one of those people and always lock both. There are bad people everywhere, even small towns.
and the roads that lead into that town are sometimes traveled by bad people from someplace else.

My cousin and her teen daughter and teen son never locked their door ( peacefull rural town of 2,000)

However, late one night 2 thugs from Minneapolius were traveling thru on the state highway and needed gas money. After capture several days later, they stated they tried the doors on several houses that were locked before they came upon my cousin's unlocked house.

The end result was one rape,2 viscous beatings with a sledge hammer ending in 3 cut throats

I doubt they found much money.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why are some people sooooooo proud of never taking simple safety precautions ?

I never understood it.
Where I live...the cops told everyone to keep your cars locked...one woman did, but finally quit, and now leaves it unlocked..why?..because she got tired of paying to have broken windows fixed...I was always taught a locked door only keeps an honest man out.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:07 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Where I live...the cops told everyone to keep your cars locked...one woman did, but finally quit, and now leaves it unlocked..why?..because she got tired of paying to have broken windows fixed...I was always taught a locked door only keeps an honest man out.
The night my cousin and her son and daughter got murdered ,the neighbors locked doors --did---stop them from entering their houses.

Neither of those 2murderers could be called--"honest"

Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Do a lot of people in small towns still leave their cars setting outside unlocked, especially at night? This video shows why you shouldn't:

Thief seen on surveillance video » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress

Also do you leave the doors to your house unlocked every night before you go to bed? If so, how do you feel safe, unless you have an alert dog or dogs? My doors are locked at night.
I know people who will not lock the car. They don't leave anything valuable in them. The reason for not locking it is to avoid getting your glass smashed out by a thief. Growing up in a semi-rural area we never locked our doors...Now that I am in the core of a large city- I have a back door that opens up on my roof top patio...There are some drug addicts in the area - I know who they are and they know that. The back is unlocked some warm nights- My dogs are very alert most of the time..

If someone were to enter...even though I am an older man- I could cause them some distress and a world of pain....What it gets down to is are you know in your neighborhood and are you respected by the good guys and the bad guys?

There is one wretch that wanders about in my back alley...I don't like it- and I know that he does his best to resist the urge to break into my home...Only because he the loser knows that I know exactly who and what he is....

BUT there are days when my personal security level is higher- and my confidence is down- I lock up.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
This news video is about burglaries in cars in a small town in Oklahoma.

Police investigate rash of car burglaries in Guthrie - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living