Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 27,604 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that

Officially if he didnt come to collect any of his mail within the week/month [i forget] he left OR change the mailing address then you have a right legally! It comes to YOUR house, even if its not addressed to you, he should have sorted all of this out before he left or during the first week/month

so can I throw it away or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
After the forwarding expired on her mail, What ever I get I look at who its from, If it looks important, I write her new address on it, She lives about 10 miles from here (I've never meet her) . I put her new address on it, and put it back in the mailbox. and I the PO forwards it to her. It been 7 year and she get about 2 (non junk) thing I send on a year.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Same here. We still on rare occasions get mail for my husband's mother, who never lived at our house (though my husband was executor of her estate) and died in 1990. Occasionally we get mail for the people who lived here before us (we moved in in 1996), and on one occasion we got a check from the electric company for the man who lived here before the people we bought it from lived here. I simply returned that to the electric company.

Mostly, you can throw the mail away. If it's something important, you might want to do the kind thing and forward (if you have a forwarding address) or write on the envelope "no longer at this address" and put it back in the mail box for the post office to return to the sender.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
"No longer at this address" written on the envelope and returned to the PO is the proper procedure. Broadly speaking, if you throw it away then that might be construed as mail-tampering which is a Federal offense!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Yes, ditto STT, you cannot throw away someone's mail! Just write "addressee unknown - return to sender" on the envelopes (or write what STT suggests, either one will work) and put them back in your mailbox. That way the sender will know to stop mailing to your address.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Yep you're suppose to write "no longer at this address" and slip it in a mailbox for the post office. Unless of course its bulk mail like catalogs which they will not forward. I just got a package from China addressed to some else but at my address and it wasn't the person who last lived here. So I took it to post office cause well since it was sent from China I thought it might be important. They told me they would look to see if the person had a forwarding address that had expired and see if they could get it to them.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I can't believe the outbreak of common sense and courtesy in this thread. Don't you all realize the OP wanted validation for his whine? C'mon. let's all make him feel better.

The longer I'm on this forum the more amazed I am about the lack of plain common sense shown. Scroll through some of the other topics, especially those asking for advice, and see what I mean.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourAverageJoez View Post
Someone told me that

Officially if he didnt come to collect any of his mail within the week/month [i forget] he left OR change the mailing address then you have a right legally! It comes to YOUR house, even if its not addressed to you, he should have sorted all of this out before he left or during the first week/month

so can I throw it away or something?
Don't throw it away, write not at this address on it and put it back in the box.

I get mail for someone else from time to time and I do that on all the mail, even the junk catalogs. Let the post office burn it or throw it away.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Take the mail to the Post Office. Bring proof that you are the resident of that address (lease,deed). the PO will create a document stopping all mail for that person. It may take a few days to go into effect since it has to be forwarded to the Postmaster General. It should stop it for at least a year. Will it stop it forever, I dought it? I get mail for someone once in awhile who hasnt lived here in twenty years. I get mail for my mother who never lived here. Its all junk mail and place it back in my box as return to sender. Why are we still getting their mail you may ask? Because someone out there is selling outdated mailing lists at a discount. And you know how people react when they think they are getting a deal.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I can't believe the outbreak of common sense and courtesy in this thread. Don't you all realize the OP wanted validation for his whine? C'mon. let's all make him feel better.
Yeah I was thinking that myself...

Any tampering with mail is a felony, so no you can't throw it away, it's theft and/or destruction.

You can't open it either.

You actually can't take a letter that is in your mailbox that is addressed to your neighbor and put it into their mailbox... (same deal)

You should do as recommended here, write return to sender: No longer at this address... or addressee unknown.

Failure to do the above can result in 5 years in a federal penitentiary, lots of new friends in the showers, and/or a $250,000 fine. Plus the requisite loss of rights after conviction of a felony (problems getting a job, possible loss of voting rights, loss of firearm rights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living