Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,292,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I doubt honking would accomplish anything.

What is he supposed to do ? Speed up to 55 mph?

With the size of today's equipment, pulling over on the shoulder accomplishes nothing.
Just dispensing some advice. You wouldn't believe how many city folk that pass through on our country roads think the farmer should 'just move out of my way'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 08:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,178,993 times
It's a 2-way street.

The reason why some small town folks are leary of outsiders moving in is they have been duped by some new people who moved in that they knew nothing about.

A very nice couple with a lot of kids moved to the edge of my hometown. Everyone commented how nice and friendly they were.

Yup, constantly borrowing things from neighbors, things missing after their kids came over to play.

When they finally moved after a few years, they had conned the meat market out of a quarter of beef, the one man auto repair out of installing a new water pump in their car,the hardware store owner who came out at night and installed a new well pump.

Yup, such friendly people !

After they moved it was found out they did the same in the town of 900 pop ( 40 miles away) where they used to live.

Not everyone moving to a small town is "June and Beaver"

fool me once, shame on you
fool me twice,shame on me

Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
Yup, there are unscrupulous people everywhere you go. You get newcomers who fleece the local population, and old-timers who fleece the newcomers. It happens. Once you're around long enough, folks get to know you so they (hopefully) aren't concerned that you're going to fleece them, and you'll either be told or find out for yourself the folks who are likely to fleece you.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:24 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,178,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Yup, there are unscrupulous people everywhere you go. You get newcomers who fleece the local population, and old-timers who fleece the newcomers. It happens. Once you're around long enough, folks get to know you so they (hopefully) aren't concerned that you're going to fleece them, and you'll either be told or find out for yourself the folks who are likely to fleece you.

Very true !

In the farming community, the feed mill/grain elevator or cafe is a good place to get " educated"

Some people may call it gossip, but sure is good to find out who doesn't pay his land rent, who says " I'll pay you with my next milk check" ( and you gotta keep calling him for months). Who borrows machinery and doesn't bother returning it.

I think farmers " get the word" on deadbeats quicker than people in small towns.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:53 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
The local hang-out is also a great place for newcomers to find out who in town does honest business, or who might be able to provide the services you need with good quality and fair rates. Most business in the country is by word-of-mouth "Oh yeah, Bob'll do that for you; but Mike'll do it better/faster/cheaper". It's good to know your options

Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,504 times
Talking There Is My Place

Found my place

brushrunner

Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,292,662 times
Reps to you, bushrunner, for doing it right!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,184 times
I moved to a tiny community recently and have no trouble meeting people and making friends with the locals. there are 6 little words that really help when you are the new guy meeting locals:

"Let me buy you a beer."

Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,527,064 times
Every situation is different, just like each of us is. There is no one easy answer to this thread. I would guess that some towns are going to be more welcoming than others. Also each "out sider" would be seen differently than the next.

Such is life....

Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,383,967 times
I find most small towns under 10,000 people very friendly. If you live in a rural area, then join a church. If you aren't religious, volunteer your time in the local charities. Meals on wheels is a great way to get to know older folks who have family in town. Get to know people in a relaxed manner and you should have no trouble fitting in right away. Just don't be a know it all or use the phrase, "the way we did it in the city".

If you live in a neighborhood, then have a yard or garage sale, and the neighbors are bound to show up and you can get to introduce yourself through this venue. Then you can invite some neighbors over for a coffee or have a small cocktail party where you set a time to arrive and a time to leave, say between 5 pm and 7 pm on a weekend evening. After that. then have small dinner parties making sure you invite your closest (in proximity) neighbors first, then others later after that one. Keep them small to no more than eight people so you can pay attention to every guest. Just have more frequent ones with different people and I am sure people will respond in kind in which case you will get to know more and more people...

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living