Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Like I say, 99% of the people in the country never use their guns because they were told never point it at your family. I don't think in the last year there was even 1 case of a crime at someones property not involving other local folks, family or friends. I don't see criminals coming out to the country, I see locals doing the bad deed.
I have to disagree with your logic on the two bolded areas.

Just because country people were taught to never point their weapon at another human being, does not follow that 99% of them never use their guns.

Second, with more than 10 years in the state penitentiary system, you are wrong thinking only locals go out into the country to do crimes. A lot of theft-related crimes are committed in the country, and not just by local folks family or friends. Criminals look for easy opportunity, and it just doesn't follow the logic that is is primarily "locals" committing the crimes.

But then, it is my job to follow the DA Narratives on a daily basis of 100's of offenders doing time, so what you see and what I see on a daily basis are two different matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Lots of that does go on in rural areas.

There is a joke that a farmer has so many corn fields he can't drive around and check on them all. Instead he stops at the local coffee shop to get the lowdown on how his corn is doing.

Yup all of rural Amerioca isn't remote areas ( despite the fact that the many posters here live in remote areas)
So true, so very true.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Las even 1ike I say, 99% of the people in the country never use their guns because they were told never point it at your family..........
That may be for many. However, I'm a safety nazi when it comes to firearms. It is a result of both good training and having been a firearms instructor.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
But then, it is my job to follow the DA Narratives on a daily basis of 100's of offenders doing time, so what you see and what I see on a daily basis are two different matters.
Well duh! How many people have posted that crimes between neighbors, friends and family are taken care of locally? The cops will be called on Fred the stranger but not on Kenny the punk kid from across the field! The crime may not be reported to the police or formal charges filed, but the crime did happen.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Where I live as Fire Chief the county would call me to handle "anything" since the sheriff was about 2 hours out or just not available..
Since I had a law enforcement background no problem, mostly minor stuff. But still we need to have law enfocement available within a reasonable time.
If it is serious we just take care of it ourselves!!!
The county taxes just go to the"big" city...

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Where I live as Fire Chief the county would call me to handle "anything" since the sheriff was about 2 hours out or just not available..
Since I had a law enforcement background no problem, mostly minor stuff. But still we need to have law enfocement available within a reasonable time.
If it is serious we just take care of it ourselves!!!
The county taxes just go to the"big" city...

Really?

You have no county courthouse?
You have no county roads?
You have no county employees?

You mentioned a sheriff. Is he a county elected official?

And yet you say ---------The county taxes just go to the big city ?

What pays for the things I listed ?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
PacificFlights - They have that in Suburban places too - It's called the Gladis Crabits factor. Don't have to be from the Country to have Nebby Neighbors.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Many people/posters talk about shooting others in self defense.

How many actually have ?

I and 99,999999% have not.
What would you call self defense? Against an animal? A person? A mob? It is quite important to define it.. Many people can pick up a gun to target shoot but can't shoot animals for meat; I have no problem with that. I certainly would not have trouble with defense against coyotes ( yes, we have them or any wild animal). A person? Is it different? Yes, as much as the difference between the target and the deer ( both of which I have no trouble doing). I just hope to God I never need to face the problem. If it comes to that, don't even pick up a gun if you cannot bring yourself to use it. At least learn self defense -- go to a class. Don't make yourself a victim.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
What would you call self defense? Against an animal? A person? A mob? It is quite important to define it.. Many people can pick up a gun to target shoot but can't shoot animals for meat; I have no problem with that. I certainly would not have trouble with defense against coyotes ( yes, we have them or any wild animal). A person? Is it different? Yes, as much as the difference between the target and the deer ( both of which I have no trouble doing). I just hope to God I never need to face the problem. If it comes to that, don't even pick up a gun if you cannot bring yourself to use it. At least learn self defense -- go to a class. Don't make yourself a victim.
Excellent point BT -- if you really don't think that you could use a gun to defend yourself from another person, do NOT get a gun... all you'll do is give the assailant another weapon to use against you. If you have a gun, or any other weapon really, you must be completely willing and able to use it if necessary once it's presence becomes known. Don't carry a weapon and certainly don't draw a weapon unless you are prepared to follow through... brandishing a weapon is NOT a good bluff, there's too much at stake if someone calls you on it.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Rural Area Police Services

Let's see,...2 German Shepherd Dogs, a 12 ga pump shotgun, and a .41 mag revolver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living