Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 37,888 times

Advertisements

I've googled and searched about this to no avail. I've thought of converting an old 300-500 ft. chicken house into a home. I wouldn't want to convert the whole thing, just one end or part of the middle section.

Has anyone done this or know someone who has?

It seems one would have to sure up the foundation and pour in a concrete slab where you wanted the alternative living space to be. Of course the rest of the structure would have to be sure as well because it is connected to the living quarters.

The chicken house I have in mind was probably built in the 1970's and is the old type with full length of the house curtains. It was repaired a bit a few years back to be used for storage and for drying tobacco.

One plus to using a poultry house is that they already have water and electricity ran to them.

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Go to you local building department and see what building codes will need to be followed, Follow those codes. If using as a temp farm house for short period and not as a main house, you may have different rules to follow. I have a barn, but with a legal caretaker apartment. I didn;t have to do all the same things as a regular house, but did have to bring some thing up to building, fire and health codes. But 2 counties away, they have a different set of rules so it's all depending on your town or county what you can do.

Now if doing this on the sly without it being legal, a good general contractor or local person with skills in structures should be able to tell you what you need to do to make it safe based on what you have. hard to tell what you need to do without seeing the place.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I wouldn't. Chickens can have pests and arsenic compounds and other highly toxic insecticides were commonly used for many years. You might be able to encapsulate, a lot of it may have leached away, but it just doesn't make sense to me except for very temporary living (without kids).

Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
Ditto. A chicken house sounds like a terrible place to build a living space for people. I'm down with converted barns, but I don't think I'd even build a house over a place where a chicken house used to be unless there was a lot of landscaping going on.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
Maybe more responses in "frugal living" - one end or just the middle of a 300 sq. ft. building in my mind would be roughly 100 sq. ft. and I'm not sure if with a coat rack and a bed that would leave enough room for a bunsen burner and frying pan to cook your eggs.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
If you've ever seen a chicken house you'd know he more than likely means a 300 ft long building. Chicken house are built like wind tunnels

Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 37,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Maybe more responses in "frugal living" - one end or just the middle of a 300 sq. ft. building in my mind would be roughly 100 sq. ft. and I'm not sure if with a coat rack and a bed that would leave enough room for a bunsen burner and frying pan to cook your eggs.
This isn't a chicken coop. Its a 300 foot long commercial chicken house, maybe 9,000 - 15,000 give or take square feet total.

Thank you all for the input. I haven't thought of chemical stuff being a problem. I wander if there is a way to test for that.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Don't know about a chicken house for a house but how about a silo? A couple where I used to live are living in a grain silo. Check out the pictures.

Silo living: Everyone wants a peek at this unique home » Evansville Courier & Press

Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 AM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman View Post
This isn't a chicken coop. Its a 300 foot long commercial chicken house, maybe 9,000 - 15,000 give or take square feet total.

Thank you all for the input. I haven't thought of chemical stuff being a problem. I wander if there is a way to test for that.
Sorry for the sarcasm - I seriously imagined a personal chicken coop with little more than a bed in it - not a 300 ft LONG structure - anyway good luck, and I hope it works. I like seeing people find new uses for things that may otherwise get torn down while other structures have to get erected at the same time.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I would wonder about getting the smell out of the barn. My dad had chickens and it seems to me that the walls get permeated with the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living