Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times

Advertisements

I am INSPIRED by it's history. I am AMAZED at the generations of families that have lived here for over a hundred years. I joke that I know more about their families than my own! I EMBRACE the local traditions and ADMIRE the locals knowledge. Of course, I'll never be a 'local' no matter how long I live here and I respect that. I really LOVE the sense of community, the common goals of protecting the town. I am BLOWN AWAY at how kind people are. I LOVE that everyone knows everyone....it's very comforting to me. I am happier living in a small town than I have ever been in my entire life. I volunteer and feel in my heart that working together can make a huge wonderful difference. I am very committed to my small town and I feel small acts are appreciated. I WANT to step up to the plate and be a good neighbor/ friend....I strive to be an asset to my wonderful small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
No traffic jams. Few sirens to listen too. Peace and quiet in general. Very little crime.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Community. Everyone knows my sons and I know every single one of their friends and classmates, along with their parents and siblings. Everywhere I go, I have a friend.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Please allow me, a city-dweller who likes his city and who is never going to move, to salute you folks for the wonderful first three posts in this thread! What a great thing that you have found these wonderful and undeniable advantages in your small towns. May you live a long and healthy life and continue to enjoy them.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
What I like:

--Uncrowded streets to ride my bicycle around town
--Getting waves from folks sitting on their porches, driving by
--A helping hand gladly offered
--Hearing the news without benefit of a newspaper
--Not hearing: a freeway, helicopters chasing criminals, planes overhead
--Walking or biking to dentist, doctor, vet, grocery, library, hardware store, drugstore, hairdresser, garden store, a dozen restaurants
--Knowing my banker in a casual & relaxed way
--Potlucks
--Being offered extra garden produce (except for the zucchini!!)
--Lots of free music and scrabble nights
--Wonderful local library with interesting programs for kids and adults

I could go on but those are off the top of my head--this from a former city girl who never thought she'd love small town life quite so much...it's just easier, more relaxed and friendlier.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Low crime rate. Peace and quiet. No traffic jams. Heckfire, no traffic.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Friday night concerts in the town square in the summer (bring your own lawn chair), followed by ice cream socials.

A ten minute walk in one direction from my house takes me to downtown Main Street; a twenty minute walk in the other direction takes me past meadows, woods, and farms.

Awesome Halloween parade down Main Street with floats sponsored by local merchants, tossing candy to the kids; the Democratic candidate for Senator marching in person, in costume and tossing candy as well (worried about Tuesday maybe?).

Sitting at the marble topped counter at the mercantile soda fountain, having an ice cream soda, then buying a white paper bag of Tootsies and Swedish Fish from the penny candy jars (they are 2 cents, actually) to eat on the walk home.

Moonlight swims under starry skies in an unpatrolled lake (skinny dipping sometimes).

Going for a jog with my little dog, who trots beside me unleashed.

Seeing deer cross the road while out for a jog - four blocks from downtown Main Street.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Friday night concerts in the town square in the summer (bring your own lawn chair), followed by ice cream socials.

A ten minute walk in one direction from my house takes me to downtown Main Street; a twenty minute walk in the other direction takes me past meadows, woods, and farms.

Awesome Halloween parade down Main Street with floats sponsored by local merchants, tossing candy to the kids; the Democratic candidate for Senator marching in person, in costume and tossing candy as well (worried about Tuesday maybe?).

Sitting at the marble topped counter at the mercantile soda fountain, having an ice cream soda, then buying a white paper bag of Tootsies and Swedish Fish from the penny candy jars (they are 2 cents, actually) to eat on the walk home.

Moonlight swims under starry skies in an unpatrolled lake (skinny dipping sometimes).

Going for a jog with my little dog, who trots beside me unleashed.

Seeing deer cross the road while out for a jog - four blocks from downtown Main Street.

Oops - a typo. I meant candidate for Congress, NOT the Senate.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
What do I love about my small town? How much time do you have, I have hundreds of reasons both both large and small. Top ones though in no particular order of importance.

Every member of the school staff from administration to custodians knows every child by name, their siblings and their parents.
Getting a call from a downtown merchant because your son is looking at a pocket knife and wondering if it is alright to sell it to him if he brings it to the counter.
Forgetting your wallet until you are fishing around for it at the checkout and having the clerk just laugh, hand you your stuff and tell you to just stop by next time you are downtown. No taking names, no asking for phone numbers, no putting things back.
Seeing kids pick up sticks and other litter after a wind storm in an elderly couples yard on their way home from school without being asked.
Seeing kids wearing their cub scout uniforms in school, the days they have their meetings.
Friday night HS football games where people go to visit and socialize as well as root on the home team.
Having a 3 block walk to downtown take 45 minutes because of all the visiting that takes place the entire trip.
Kids on bikes all summer, all over town.
No "play dates", when kids want to play together they just walk over to their friends homes and play.
Even the "thug" kids use "Mam" and "Sir" with real respect when addressing elderly members of the community.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What do I love about my small town? How much time do you have, I have hundreds of reasons both both large and small. Top ones though in no particular order of importance.

Every member of the school staff from administration to custodians knows every child by name, their siblings and their parents.
Getting a call from a downtown merchant because your son is looking at a pocket knife and wondering if it is alright to sell it to him if he brings it to the counter.
Forgetting your wallet until you are fishing around for it at the checkout and having the clerk just laugh, hand you your stuff and tell you to just stop by next time you are downtown. No taking names, no asking for phone numbers, no putting things back.
Seeing kids pick up sticks and other litter after a wind storm in an elderly couples yard on their way home from school without being asked.
Seeing kids wearing their cub scout uniforms in school, the days they have their meetings.
Friday night HS football games where people go to visit and socialize as well as root on the home team.
Having a 3 block walk to downtown take 45 minutes because of all the visiting that takes place the entire trip.
Kids on bikes all summer, all over town.
No "play dates", when kids want to play together they just walk over to their friends homes and play.
Even the "thug" kids use "Mam" and "Sir" with real respect when addressing elderly members of the community.
It warms the heart to know there are still places like this. The situation you describe used to be a lot more common. Some, but not all, of the items you list also prevailed in the suburb of St. Louis where I grew up in the 1950's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living