Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times

Advertisements

Just listen to God Bless this Town.Funny I moved out of this area when I was 18.Where I moved after 29 years they couldn't handle my wild Hillbilly Redneck ways so I left.

When I moved back here I was told I would fit right back in and wouldn't have any trouble because of Family and Friends in the area.I went back to the area I moved from for a visit,seems they still don't care for my style.

So here I am after 17 years here.Started going to Church everyone knows my past but they have forgave me as they are told couple months ago voted me in as Deacon.

Yes I'm Home where I will die and my ashes will be scattered in the river by the House where I was Baptized.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I listen to "Outlaw County" on Sirius/XM and my fondest wish is that Mojo Nixon and Shooter Jennings would get a station dedicated to them, so that I would never have to listen to either of them ever again.

Can't stand Mojo Nixon's on-air persona and it makes me turn the station every time I hear his voice. It's nice, I guess, that he is so enamored of drugs and alcohol and behaving badly in public, but I could live without hearing about it.

I'm a huge fan of alt-country - McMurtry (one of THE best songwriters), Keen, Alvin, Earle, Hubbard, Johnny Cash, old stuff from Haggard, Jones, Jennings, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams (the first, can't stand the other two) etc etc etc

Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I agree. Mojo annoys the hell out me. I quit listening.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
As soon as I saw this topic I knew Copperhead Road would be mentioned. I'm surprised it wasn't higher up the list.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
As soon as I saw this topic I knew Copperhead Road would be mentioned. I'm surprised it wasn't higher up the list.
I know.

It used to be that GAC and CMT would run the outlaw or alt country later on at night. Good stuff. It seems to have vanished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQMC...=TLYtGwpfftTAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esX4E...feature=relmfu

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLgfiVQLVDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-993tLyeVqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4y5si8DGs

I was a Rebel Rocker. I'm back to my roots. I love old country!!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I had to laugh when I read the thread about whether or not pop country adequately portrays rural small town life. I suggest the OP turn off the radio, switch off CMT/GAC, and listen to the other side of country music-the sometimes gritty, sometimes irreverent, sometimes hellraising, and always authentic and heartfelt side. I submit my list of some of the best Outlaw Country songs:

Country Boy Can Survive - Hank Williams, Jr.

Choctaw Bingo - James McMurtry

Longhaired Redneck - David Allen Coe

Copperhead Road - Steve Earle

Conversation With the Devil - Ray Wylie Hubbard

We Can't Make It Here Anymore - James McMurtry

The Road Goes on Forever (And the Party Never Ends) - Robert Earl Keen

God's Gonna Cut You Down - Johnny Cash

The High Cost of Livin - Jamey Johnson

Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand - Waylon Jennings

Cocaine Blues - (Most famously covered by) Johnny Cash

Whiskey, Weed, and Women - Hank III

Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound - Hank Williams, Jr.

Long Haired Country Boy - Charlie Daniels Band

Family Tradition - Hank Williams, Jr.

Gunpowder and Lead - Miranda Lambert

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash

Sunday Morning Comin Down - Kris Kristofferson

Caleb Meyer - Gillian Welch

Mama Tried - Merle Haggard

The Boys From Oklahoma - (Most famously covered by) Cross Canadian Ragweed

The Ballad of Uneasy Rider - Charlie Daniels Band
oh no, country songs about how tough and macho that southern men are, how they get drunk, and get into trouble, are not cliches at all.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh no, country songs about how tough and macho that southern men are, how they get drunk, and get into trouble, are not cliches at all.
Maybe so. Nonetheless, there is something about a southern country boy.........

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Maybe so. Nonetheless, there is something about a southern country boy.........

Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
"The Ballad of Uneasy Rider", sounds almost like some sort of parody or satire in a way.
Makes me think of those middle-aged, high-class, suburbia dudes who dish out $30,000 on a flashy Harley, and then lay it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living