Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Living in rural areas is a bad thing if you are single male, since most rural areas have more cows and pigs than actual Humans, so it is not a great place to pick up women.
Bless yore heart, you pore city boy, you really don't have a clue, do you?

There are women out here by the hundreds - the only difference is that they can rope, ride, brand, drink, shoot, and make a mean pie or cook for several hundred. They can work all day as nurses, come home at 5, then saddle up and go fix fences til dark. They can sit in a calving shed in a 3-day ice storm and help cows birth their babies.

The men that are looking for fluffy made-up girls are terrified of them; the men that are looking for real women to partner with, be honest and open and comfortable with, and enjoy life with, are more than happy to find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:40 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
The types of rural towns described by SCGranny and Mrs Skeffington have been the longing of my heart for so long that I thought they only existed in quaint novels anymore. (Jan Karon's Mitford series, Joseph Girzone's Joshua, Rene Gutteridge's Boo series, etc.,)

Think of it. A small, rural town untouched and unfazed by cities, Hollywood, big business and big government. A town where community means something and people look out for each other. Quiet, simple living where the only red tape you were burdened by was the red duct tape over the broken tail light of your car while you were waiting for a new one to come in on special order.

Where home vegetable gardens aren't legislated and the nearest fast food joint is three counties over. Mom-n-Pop stores still exist and are preferred over big, impersonal chain store conglomerates. A town where the biggest celebrity was a neighbor who patched up the widow Anderson's roof after the storm.

I know, I live in a fantasy world... or at least I wish I did. Sadly, I even doubt if novels written about such towns could ever be best sellers again given the self-absorbed, self-entitled, independent lives people prefer today. People aren't connected to each other anymore, but to earplugs that attach to a single gizmo that fits in your pocket and acts as a phone, the internet, a library, a video store, a music store, a camera, a photo album, a video recorder, a shopping mall and a video game collection.

If I could find a job in a small town that paid me enough to make a sustainable living on, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the government and big business have pretty much destroyed that hope... not to mention those types of towns.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Living in rural areas is a bad thing if you are single male, since most rural areas have more cows and pigs than actual Humans, so it is not a great place to pick up women.
And those rural areas are perfectly happy for you to continue thinking that, too.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
The types of rural towns described by SCGranny and Mrs Skeffington have been the longing of my heart for so long that I thought they only existed in quaint novels anymore. (Jan Karon's Mitford series, Joseph Girzone's Joshua, Rene Gutteridge's Boo series, etc.,)

Think of it. A small, rural town untouched and unfazed by cities, Hollywood, big business and big government. A town where community means something and people look out for each other. Quiet, simple living where the only red tape you were burdened by was the red duct tape over the broken tail light of your car while you were waiting for a new one to come in on special order.

Where home vegetable gardens aren't legislated and the nearest fast food joint is three counties over. Mom-n-Pop stores still exist and are preferred over big, impersonal chain store conglomerates. A town where the biggest celebrity was a neighbor who patched up the widow Anderson's roof after the storm.
Come on over, except for the fast-food joint being 3 Counties away, you just described my town. Nearest fast-food is in the "big town" (8000 population) of the area which is a few miles away. I've been back in town 3 years and I know ALL of my neighbors, up and down both sides of the street for the entire street length (all 4 blocks.) Kids still ride their bikes to each others houses, stay out until dark before they have to be home, pick-up baseball games are the norm. No chain stores in town, store owners are your neighbors, selectmen, city officers, etc....

My 88 year old neighbor just made my new daughter (born a couple months ago) a beautiful hand knit bib, and several blankets. Said she has been working on them since she got the news we were expecting and that they are probably the last ones she will ever make because her hands just don't co-operate like they should now. This is a lady I didn't know existed just a few years ago, now we visit regularly and check up on her. If I have to go out of town, several of the neighbors mow my lawn, and watch out for the family while I am gone, just as we do for them. The sense of Community is alive and well here. More so than any place I have ever lived before.

Quote:
If I could find a job in a small town that paid me enough to make a sustainable living on, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the government and big business have pretty much destroyed that hope... not to mention those types of towns.
Not really. Last year just my wife alone made close to 100k, and our cost of living is WAY lower than the national average, while still providing excellent schools and services. 4 bedroom house, 2 full bath, walking distance to everything and in a very nice neighborhood was WELL under 100k when we bought it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Come on over, except for the fast-food joint being 3 Counties away, you just described my town. Nearest fast-food is in the "big town" (8000 population) of the area which is a few miles away. I've been back in town 3 years and I know ALL of my neighbors, up and down both sides of the street for the entire street length (all 4 blocks.) Kids still ride their bikes to each others houses, stay out until dark before they have to be home, pick-up baseball games are the norm. No chain stores in town, store owners are your neighbors, selectmen, city officers, etc....

My 88 year old neighbor just made my new daughter (born a couple months ago) a beautiful hand knit bib, and several blankets. Said she has been working on them since she got the news we were expecting and that they are probably the last ones she will ever make because her hands just don't co-operate like they should now. This is a lady I didn't know existed just a few years ago, now we visit regularly and check up on her. If I have to go out of town, several of the neighbors mow my lawn, and watch out for the family while I am gone, just as we do for them. The sense of Community is alive and well here. More so than any place I have ever lived before.

Not really. Last year just my wife alone made close to 100k, and our cost of living is WAY lower than the national average, while still providing excellent schools and services. 4 bedroom house, 2 full bath, walking distance to everything and in a very nice neighborhood was WELL under 100k when we bought it.
You've given a disillusioned man hope again. Bless you. Mind if message you privately?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
You've given a disillusioned man hope again. Bless you. Mind if message you privately?
Go right ahead.

If anyone is wondering... Scottville, MI is where I proudly hang my hat. The big town of our County is Ludington which hovers around 8000 for population. To get any larger it is an hours drive in any direction... well at least 3 directions for driving, to the West would be a long swim or boat ride to anything larger than 8000 in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living