Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,218,046 times

Advertisements

One last contribution for mice/rat traps you won't find in a store and which have worked well for us on our two acres:

Chinese rat trap - Appropriate technology: Journey to Forever

Making a Chinese rat trap - Appropriate technology: Journey to Forever

Bucket rat trap - Appropriate technology: Journey to Forever

With live traps, of course, you're left with the disposal problem, but the third method takes care of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
There was another unwanted guest lying dead on my living room floor when I got home from work today. Kitty's doing her job...unfortunately she started playing with the corpse before I could throw it out.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times
Just don't use glue traps. Their terribly inhumane.

The trick to traps is placement and bait. Try a little meat for bait. Rodents do go for protein when they can get it. Place along the walls and other likely "roadways".

Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
Before I had a couple of cats, I bought a house in summer that come winter, was overrun with mice.

Poison was out (since it could harm animals that ate the poisoned mice, plus poisoning isn't a very nice way to go)...nor are those sticky traps; they're cruel. Relocating just puts the mouse problem on someone else's property. Solution - Rat Zapper 2000. I bought it at a local ACO hardware store.

Rat Zapper 2000, Electronic Rat Zapper, Mouse Zapper and Rodent Trap

Rat Zapper 2000. Awesome. Instant mouse elimination, humane (well, fast), very easy to empty.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,387,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Before I had a couple of cats, I bought a house in summer that come winter, was overrun with mice.

Poison was out (since it could harm animals that ate the poisoned mice, plus poisoning isn't a very nice way to go)...nor are those sticky traps; they're cruel. Relocating just puts the mouse problem on someone else's property. Solution - Rat Zapper 2000. I bought it at a local ACO hardware store.

Rat Zapper 2000, Electronic Rat Zapper, Mouse Zapper and Rodent Trap

Rat Zapper 2000. Awesome. Instant mouse elimination, humane (well, fast), very easy to empty.
Whats wrong with glue traps? They're entertaining. You can watch the mice squirm and suffer.

I caught a baby rattle snake with one of those.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Many moons back, I went to a friends brothers house for some massive beer consumption. His living room had a clear view of his kitchen, and during our activitiies we saw a mouse creep out onto his stove top. His reaction was swift, and out came the Benjamin .177 from behind his chair. A well placed pellet at apx 1000FPS transfixed the offending mouse o saurus and exploded a can of creamed corn behind it making a rather ....interesting mess.. Though I don't recommend this method of rodent control (on a regular basis anyway) I still double over laughing every time I think about it.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,551,957 times
We get mice alot in our cabin which is next door to our home. I hate them, despise them, am petrified of them and grossed out by them! I could and should be in therapy to get over my disgust and fear of them. I can't even look at a dead one. My husband bought some of those black mouse traps that you put peanut butter down in and they actually work excellent. They snap those little suckers. We don't use the traditional wood spring ones.I have spent money on every gimmick out there, have hired professionals and these things work! The only thing with cats, they run around with them in their mouths, play with them and then drop them dead.... like I said earlier it grosses me out. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,551,957 times
I am so sensitive to mice, I can actually feel when one is near!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Robbie Burns...

YouTube - ‪Robert Burns - To A Mouse - Poem‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
If you can't have cats...I recommend those little electronic pest deterrants...they plug into the wall and emitt a frequency too high for us to hear or to bother the dogs, and they sure work good to keep mice and rats away,,,they also drive spiders and some insects away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living