Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM

5,247 posts, read 6,174,797 times

Advertisements

Empty 5 gallon paint bucket, notch two V's 180 degrees apart on the top edge. Get a soda can and put a straight wire through the can "coat hanger wire" the can will spin cradled in the V's now. Put some peanut butter on the sides of the can. Now use a small piece of wood as a ramp up to the top edge of the bucket from the floor........mice goes up the ramp....jumps on the peanut buttered soda can which spins and falls into the bottom of the bucket. Now what you do with the mice is up to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,294,242 times
I just offer them the extra zucchini from my garden. Works every time.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times
my cats do a very good job at keeping the live ones away form my house...
just wish thed stop bringing Dead ones over for supper lol

Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,381,491 times
you need to find the place of entry to your home first and block it up now, you can go after the mouse,
I found that the little green pellets that come in a packet works best for me,I just place the packet under the kitchen sink and seal the doors so as to protect the animals the mice enter usually through the holes in your floor to allow the pipes to pass through
check where your A/c hose enter the house this is a easy freeway for the mice

Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,397,841 times
I recommend a black and white tuxedo cat.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,238,727 times
Peppermint OIL (not extract). You get it at health food stores. Put it in a cheap little spritzer bottle and zap any area where they seem to be collecting.
The smell is overpowering for them. It keeps them out, rather than having to catch them and dispose of bodies. Nor do you have to worry about pets and/or children getting into poisons...

I use it to keep them (as well as packrats the size of Chihuahuas!) out of machinery, vehicles, an old trailer house, the shop etc, etc.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,381,258 times
UPDATE: RE: my earlier comments on the Victor Electronic Rat trap model M240. My first trap finally quit working because of a buildup of dried rodent urine underneath the riveted-in metal shock plates. Here I found that the areas under the plates can not be cleaned by recommended cleaning methods. Worse, I ordered another new M240 trap this week but found upon installing new batteries, that it would not electronically set. These M240 traps cost about $40 each and, although they seem to work fairly well if you get a good one, many of them seem to have electrical problems as seen in the many online reviews.

In summary, I want to remove my earlier recommendation for this rodent trap.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,238,727 times
I still swear by peppermint oil. $12 at GNC. Good for about a year's use.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM

16,907 posts, read 16,150,008 times
Put plenty of cheese outside often.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM

6,621 posts, read 6,557,302 times
The best solution, but the most difficult: locate where the little darlings are coming in and plug the hole with steel wool or whatever. Always check your water lines and electric lines where they enter your house or cottage. Most builders don't give a heck how large they make the holes, and they are just an easy access inside.

Those sticky pads are very cruel. I hate mice inside, but I'd never use them because they die a slow, miserable death.

Ditto with the pail of water. They swim until they drown. If you're ok with being cruel, then go for it. I've seen a friend set one in his cottage and ended up with a cute little chipmunk floating dead in it. It made me very angry.

Poison, also cruel and extremely painful. Another thing about poison is that the mice won't always go outside to die. They find a little hole somewhere and after a while you'll start smelling the very distinct sickly sweet smell of a rotting carcass.

Those plug in sonic things: tried them too. They just provide romantic dinner music for the mice to dine by.

IMO, a quick snap trap is an instant, (hopefully painless) death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living