Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times

Advertisements

We have found a small field mouse inside (we have poison boxes that are pet proof outside, we have 4 dogs). I'm thinking they are like roaches... if you see one, you know there are more, but I'm not sure. Just got the traditional traps and one electronic mouse/rat trap. All are loaded with peanut butter. So far, no takers. It has been a week.

I can deal with the rats, bats and mongooses that sometimes invite themselves. Dogs take care of rats and mongooses and pool sweeper gets the bats out, but a mouse pooping on my kitchen counter makes me sick.

The counter is free of debris except for 4 droppings I found today. Dogs are probably keeping the critter from moving from the counter, not sure.

Suggestions? Thanks. I haven't cooked or baked for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Cats.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks, but the 4 dogs would attack a feline; they already have. I even thought about trying to find a "mouser" for a day and take the dogs to the beach to let kitty do it's job.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
well other than cats, which you should only use if you intend to give them a forever home, I used little pieces of cheese and left the door open. Believe it or not this actually really worked. I had one in a basement apt. I once lived in and put the little pieces of cheese on the floor. First I put the piece down and lightly dragged it along the floor then the next and dragged that so the scent would leave a trail to the next piece and out to the door. The little guy fell for it. When he was out I tip toed to the door as fast as I could and closed the door without slamming it. I later adopted a kitty about 1-2 years old and loved her for 10 years to the day she unfortunately died. If you try this just remember to leave the scent for the little fellow/gal to follow out the door.

Oh BTW keep the dogs either next door or just anywhere that's not near the house or yard. I can't believe a little mouse went in with 4 dogs, yikes what a brave little mouse LOL.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 05-12-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
The right cat can put the dogs in their 'rightful' place.

I've had some pretty 'capable' farm cats.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Spring traps, and sealing anything edible in airtight, chew-proof containers.

I grew up on a farm surrounded by thousands of acres of corn field, and when the corn was harvested, the field mice turned to local farmhouses in search of new food and shelter. So the fall was always when you needed to set traps. But the truth is, if mice have nothing to feed on, they won't stay.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
CAT. Although, it has to be "real" cat...go with maybe a tuxedo cat, they are very good mousers. My little Mickey Bear Cat, he was far too refined, and domesticated to dirty his paws with a mouse.

If you don't go with a cat, get some traps, but it is really gross to mess with those. I did bait for awhile...but that too does not work. My grandparents house had mice all over..until I convinced them to get a cat...then no more of those little black droppings anywhere after that...

Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
A FEMALE cat. Females make the best mousers, from what I've seen. DH doesn't like cats (so he says), but he hates rodents worse. Our kitty earns her keep. DH calls her a "lazy, good for nothing sad sack piece of s**t" when she lies around on the beds all day sleeping, but at night she is very busy. She not only cleans out the mice from our kitchen and pantry (brings them in the bedroom in the wee hours of the morning), but she deposits moles and shrews on our porch that she catches outside. These vermin cause a lot of damage to our gardens. She'll deposit her kill, and then roll over on her back, so DH can make much of her and give her a belly rub. What a softy!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
encorage good snakes into your area by letting some grass at the back of your property get a little longer, add a little wood or rock pile back there ect...

snakes are natures rodent control.

personally i have a good female mouser (soon to hopefully be 2 good female mousers lol) but cats bring a whole other set of problems with them being they are indiscriminate killers and not only kill rats and mice but also song birds ect...

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
well other than cats, which you should only use if you intend to give them a forever home, I used little pieces of cheese and left the door open. Believe it or not this actually really worked. I had one in a basement apt. I once lived in and put the little pieces of cheese on the floor. First I put the piece down and lightly dragged it along the floor then the next and dragged that so the scent would leave a trail to the next piece and out to the door. The little guy fell for it. When he was out I tip toed to the door as fast as I could and closed the door without slamming it. I later adopted a kitty about 1-2 years old and loved her for 10 years to the day she unfortunately died. If you try this just remember to leave the scent for the little fellow/gal to follow out the door.

Oh BTW keep the dogs either next door or just anywhere that's not near the house or yard. I can't believe a little mouse went in with 4 dogs, yikes what a brave little mouse LOL.
I will definitely try this, makes sense. Especially since we can't have a cat because of the dogs having already brought down a feral cat that wondered on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living