Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
So for the rest of us we are doomed to watching the drunk redneck neighbor take it out on the ATV all day long with his four children in tow on their little ATVs and dirt bikes....
Don't kid yourself and think this doesn't happen in developments with HOAs. Happens all the time! And when it's a board member, who's going to do anything? How do I know this? It happens every year in my development.

The HOA started off fine when the builder ran it and didn't give two farts what happened here. The HOA has since been handed over and holy crow talk about changes! We now have fines which are NOT in our CCR. The board decided to add them last year. We know they meet at least quarterly, but do not ever inform us of these meetings. We have an annual meeting in December just before Christmas on a week night. Imagine that. There's a very low turn out. Oh and we get less than a week's notice about it.

Can't wait to get the hell away from this mess! Our roofs can only be black. We live in South freaking Carolina. Home of 100+ degrees for weeks. Home of a drought for at least 5 years. WHY must we have black roofs, white mailbox posts, and the exact same mailboxes? Because the gods have spoken. Pains right in ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I recently bought some rural land in a subdivision. Of course, you never really own land like people used to. There is always some kind of restriction such as public rights to rivers, minerals, etc. A home owner's association (HOA) sometimes imposes even more stringent restrictions on your land: no swine, no junk, etc. But, whenever I tell someone I have a HOA, they make a face and say how much they hate them. Why? I only pay $300/year for a HOA and it keeps my property value up. I don't want my neighbor piling junk on his property, running a pig farm, operating a business, etc.

How do you guys feel about HOAs?
Being a true rural type....my problem with HOAs is that I don't want anyone but me telling me what to do with my dirt. If I want to raise a pig...which.we do..I will. There's a difference twixt actual, self sufficient, rural living and the burbs. If I was stacked up tight on neighbors I reckon livestock would become a bone of contention. But we are spread out pretty good and livestock is almost obligatory.
So one must examine the actual living space. Herebouts an HOA would be greeted bout as warmly as a plauge of scorpions.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Being a true rural type....my problem with HOAs is that I don't want anyone but me telling me what to do with my dirt. If I want to raise a pig...which.we do..I will. There's a difference twixt actual, self sufficient, rural living and the burbs. If I was stacked up tight on neighbors I reckon livestock would become a bone of contention. But we are spread out pretty good and livestock is almost obligatory.
So one must examine the actual living space. Herebouts an HOA would be greeted bout as warmly as a plauge of scorpions.
So, 300 million people times 10 acres (on average) equals 3 billion acres. As you can see spreading is not the solution.

I have no problem with you having a pig next to me. Problem is a lot of people having pigs are irresponsible. Just like a lot of them who have dogs and let them run on your property (often attacking your livestock). Et cetera, et cetera. HOAs are an inelegant solution to the problems such as above, they go to the other extreme of regulating everything.

OD

Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
So, 300 million people times 10 acres (on average) equals 3 billion acres. As you can see spreading is not the solution.
???

The USA has 2.4 Trillion acres.

Even if 300million people each owned 10 acres and it all added up to 3 billion acres.

That would mean that like 1.25 acres out of every 1,000 acres was owned by someone.

So 'no' I do not 'see' how this is not a solution.

Please explain.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???

The USA has 2.4 Trillion acres.

Even if 300million people each owned 10 acres and it all added up to 3 billion acres.

That would mean that like 1.25 acres out of every 1,000 acres was owned by someone.

So 'no' I do not 'see' how this is not a solution.

Please explain.
Not all acreage is usable, lots of it is protected etc. You also wouldn't want to have the whole country covered in private acreages... lots of land is exploited, there are roads, rails etc... Cities make perfect sense and always have.

OD

Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Not all acreage is usable, lots of it is protected etc. You also wouldn't want to have the whole country covered in private acreages... lots of land is exploited, there are roads, rails etc... Cities make perfect sense and always have.

OD
LOL

I, uh, LOL

Thank you, That is great, you come up with the funniest jokes.

I am so going to use that on other forums. Folks will die laughing

Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 AM

79 posts, read 174,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post

How do you guys feel about HOAs?
I have no problem about the HOAs protection it can give to the value of homes as well as the maintenance of peace and order in the neighborhood. One thing I have issue on is that restriction to home owners modification on their property.. Its just that it is over the top.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

I, uh, LOL

Thank you, That is great, you come up with the funniest jokes.

I am so going to use that on other forums. Folks will die laughing

There is plenty of acreage here in FL that you could not use (swamp). Similarly, there is plenty of acreage in other states that you could not live on. Then a lot of it is national forest, state forest and other state and federal land. There is plenty of desert across the country you could not live on. Et cetera, et cetera. A lot of land is in large private ranches.

Finally, cities scale way better than individual homesteads. That's why cities exist, concentrated services, things of interest, things to do, it makes sense to have a business when you have a bunch of people to service.

What's so funny?
OD

Old 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Cities are a monument to human stupidity. Some of the largest are in the worst places too (LA, Las Vegas, etc.).

Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Cities are a monument to human stupidity. Some of the largest are in the worst places too (LA, Las Vegas, etc.).
Maybe in the U.S. where _some_ cities did not appear naturally (like Las Vegas for example - but I guess that's more a testament to the culture?). Anyways, cities as old as beginning of civilization existed and some still exist built on top of ruins of old ones. So I guess people have been stupid since beginning of time. Ancient Romans, Egyptians etc., all stupid....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living