Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
And I told you that there are neighborhoods and small towns where what you say holds true but (in my opinion) there are many more small towns where having money will make you stand out and you will be harassed and people will envy you. And no matter how nice you are, your poor a$$hole neighbors will hate you.
I agree.

Anyway, to help the OP: I would recommend looking at rural college towns. University presence will bring in a sizable population of well-paid individuals, which may give you the niche you're looking for. The diversity and relative transience may also make it easier to fit in as a newcomer. As someone else said, Western NC may be a good bet...lots of cute college towns in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 AM

12 posts, read 19,185 times
Hi Lotus;

Look up Kinsman, Ohio 44428. It is along the Pa. border. it is North of Warren, Ohio. This town has alot of heritage. In the town you can have horses, goats & the farms are large some are 5000 acres. Clarence Darrow, LPA was born there & The person who coined the phrase "May the force be with you" was born there. Another writer wrote Hatari & a couple other John Wayne flicks. John Wayne use to come to town to visit back in the 50's. There is an old fashioned soda fountain that still makes phophates & old fashioned sundaes. Route 66 the series also made one of the series in this little town. There are alot of old victorian homes.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 AM

12 posts, read 19,185 times
Hi Lotus;

I forgot to also tell you that Kinsman, Ohio 44428 there are amish that come into town & live close by. the supermarket is like the small ones you had when you were little. There is no McD's or burger king in town either. the pies are home made & it is not uncommon that behind that big combine taking up both sides of the road you will see an amish wagon right behind. Quant.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
How about the Bucks County, PA area? It is lovely!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Maggie Vally NC might fit the bill

maggie valley - Google Search

Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus420 View Post
woah.. I didn't expect this much hostility when I posted the question, I can't imagine what I did to upset everyone but I'm sorry
It seems like everyone has something nasty to say or something against the word 'wealthy'. So does anyone know where i can find a place like this MINUS THE WORD WEALTHY since it seems to be so offensive. Doesn't really seem like anyone is interested in being helpful, just being angry. I don't get it.
Geez. No kidding. People are just so hostile nowadays. I don't get it either.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maggie Vally NC might fit the bill

maggie valley - Google Search
It is so gorgeous there!!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Hi!
I'm looking to move to a wealthy rural town
Preferably on the eastern side of the U.S. (NY, PA, VA, OH, NC, KY)
Where the people are nice and there is a friendly vibe..
Somewhere farms are common (we have horses and dogs)
I'm hoping to have a beautiful view of mountains and preferably have some local small lakes or ponds.
We also love the forest, so it would be great if there were some wooded areas around like state parks.

There should be good schools, and a major city within 1-2 hours.

Does anyone know where I can find a place like this?
This is my dream place but I can't seem to find it unless I go midwest.

So many options, I would first settle on which metro you prefer to be close to then go from there.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Quote:
woah.. I didn't expect this much hostility when I posted the question, I can't imagine what I did to upset everyone but I'm sorry
It seems like everyone has something nasty to say or something against the word 'wealthy'. So does anyone know where i can find a place like this MINUS THE WORD WEALTHY since it seems to be so offensive. Doesn't really seem like anyone is interested in being helpful, just being angry. I don't get it.
Ignore the nasties, they are everywhere, just unhappy with their own lives and the only way they feel good is to be snarky with others. Keep up the search.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i think the key here is how big of a city is a big city...are we talking NYC type of city with alot of arts, theater, broadway, lights and noise, and hustle and bustle and big names...

or are we talking "big city" as in it has a mall and some larger name stores, a couple of eclectic artys type places and parks...ect...

that in itself might dictate the kind of community your looking for...

but if your looking for NYC type city you might want to look wihtin a 2 hour radius of NYC, try Fairfeild county CT if your "in the money" and looking for sleepy little towns with alot of history, (and money) be warned this is a wealthy area and youll pay for it in taxes...and there are rough spots too (like danbury, bridgeport ect) but places like weston, westport, greenwich ect...
it would realy depend on how much money youve got to spend as to whether you can get that rural feel...its expensive and alot of old money in the more quite area that come with land...but if your more interested in sleepy bedroom type comunities and arnt too woried about big lots, keeping livestock ect then theres plenty of those.

theres many places in NY state within 2 hours of the city that would work for you too.
unfortunatly i only realy know fairfeild county connecitucut though.

i dont personally feel the amount of money your neighbors has realy makes a neighborhood any safer...so i thin i would have chosen "safe" over "wealthy"

ive lived in places where our neighbors were poor as mice and they were the nicest people in the world, and then neighbors who had more money than sense and they wernt nice at all and thier kids were vandals...
point being every individual is different and even in the nicest of towns bad apples still fall form the trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living