Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM

137 posts, read 611,726 times

Advertisements

Stuck in the 50s and 60s...... kinda reminds me of this Stephen King short story:

You Know They Got a Hell of a Band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be careful what you wish for.......

Last edited by disneyrecords; 12-16-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,107 times
Default dladkins55

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
My aunt lives in a little town called Tiffin OH. It's stuck in time. I hadn't been there in 30 yrs and remembered my way around as almost nothing had changed. It's the kind of town that still has a weekly car show, town festivals etc.

I would consider moving there if I were ready for that kind of life change.
I have a 1st cousin that lives there. I've been all over the state of Ohio in 38 years driving truck, but haven't been to Tiffin. I just spoke with her the other day and told her I was coming to visit and now I see this post. I intentionally got on the PC to look for a place that reminded me of the golden years, the olden days of my childhood when times were good, now I'm for sure going to visit. I could go on and on about all I liked in the old days, but the main point is time was fun. You didn't have to lock your doors at night, neighbors were always there for one another, crime was something you just heard about on TV, you drove up and down the dirt roads as that was all the rural county roads were. When friends were friends, not for a few days but for life. I still hang out with those same old friends after all these year and I'm 60. Gosh that was the good old days! Just hope someone reads this from back in the day and agrees.

Last edited by dladkins1955; 06-15-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:05 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurv1 View Post
Yeah I know trying to hold on to the past is impossible. I think a group of people should put together a town that has a desire to live in the 50's. That is everything would be a 50's theme. For those that choose to live there would drive classic cars, dress from the era and promote a 50's lifestyle. There could be a malt shop, a gas station with full service, maybe even a drive in. A real back to the future place. Is this a bad thing?
I'd move there -- as long as it didn't include the racism so common back then, too!

Old 06-21-2015, 01:08 PM

205 posts, read 249,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?
Carrollton, Missississippi, where I'm moving to looks like it hasn't changed a lick in 130 years, let alone 50 or 60 years.

It's on the National Register of Historic Places as the "Carrollton, Mississippi, National Historic District", and if you thought Natchez was the most historic town in America, which some historic preservation and tourism booster club bulletins for Natchez say so, think again.

Even though Natchez has the most Antebellum structures intact in the United States, as well as the most per square mile for any historic district in the U. S, Carrollton, Mississippi, has 66 contributing properties in its historic District, more than any other district of similar land areas (roughly 0.5 square miles), and the historic district has the highest concentration of historic churches in the U.S.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM

70 posts, read 69,788 times
Oh yes, the town I live in is stuck in the 50's-60's. Businesses are closed on Wednesdays, doctors have no answering service, some businesses put a hand written note on their doors saying they've "stepped out" and will be right back. Clothes are taken home "on approval". Some store owners go ahead and box up items they're sure you'll like and wave for you to come in next time you're in town. Everyone in town turns out for funeral visitations...after all, we know everyone. We only have a Hardees and Burger King...no other restaurant chains will come here. Our restaurants are little mom and pop places. My husband is freaking over all this...he grew up in a city.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Two words: Oakland Oregon.

Oakland Oregon Photo Album

Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?
Where do the Amish live?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
While a nice town, Lakeland, Florida seems to be stuck in time.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Some areas in south Louisiana seem that way to a point. They are very traditional. When I first went there with wife who is Cajun I was not use to their tradition keeping. I remember being in living room and her and females relatives age from 18 to 90 where in kitchen talking. It was like a bunch of frat girls talking. Then I experienced same thing with men. I certainly saw the age pecking order of respect youngest showed the older men. Many father and sons 40 and 16 seemed more like friends than generations tho. What you see on history channels Swamp people was just what I saw in relationship of generations. I love it now and love to visit its so relaxing and they are fun people. Now married for years at 68 and wife five years younger ;it just doesn't change that I see.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I noticed this thread has been reopened. Interesting subject but although you can go back to the places, you can never go back to the times.

Texdav.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Deep east Texas where I grew up had a lot of that same Louisiana culture mainly because many of the people of eastern Texas came from Louisiana. Mine included. Variously aged women gathered in the kitchen around the table sipping coffee and Cokes while, in the hot humid summer months, the men sat out in the yard on lawn chairs as hundreds of cicadas chirped in the trees above them. Some of the older men sat with their elbows on their knees wondering who would pick up a story next. A young man or two stood nearby leaning against a pine tree waiting for the chance to offer their fishing tale or just an opinion of Ford versus Chevrolet trucks.

Some things never change. What changes are the people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycRwYLcVAs8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living