Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Even places like Providence mass on the tip of Cape Cod look like they have never changes once the "summer people" have gone back to work in Boston. Visiting the Cape or down east Maine in the winter can be very relaxing. No crowds and the locals appreciate the business and the company. Most of the time the ocean moderates the weather so it can be warmer than inland. However a January Nor'easter carrying sleet, snow and freezing rain on a 50 mph wind is best experienced inside a warm Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDER04 View Post
Oh yes, the town I live in is stuck in the 50's-60's. Businesses are closed on Wednesdays, doctors have no answering service, some businesses put a hand written note on their doors saying they've "stepped out" and will be right back. Clothes are taken home "on approval". Some store owners go ahead and box up items they're sure you'll like and wave for you to come in next time you're in town. Everyone in town turns out for funeral visitations...after all, we know everyone. We only have a Hardees and Burger King...no other restaurant chains will come here. Our restaurants are little mom and pop places. My husband is freaking over all this...he grew up in a city.
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Where are you?

Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I doubt that there are any towns still stuck in the 1950s or 1960s. But there is a hardware store near me in a small town in rural Missouri that is like a "blast from the past." It's like stepping back into the '50s and '60s.

The hardware store at one time had been a part of the Ben Franklin/ACE Hardware chain. They probably dropped out of it and became an independent hardware store in the late 1960s. They still have thousands of household items and tools from the 1950's and 1960's in their original packaging. I love going to that store. It's probably an antique hunter's dream. Somehow this small family-owned hardware store still holds on, even though there is a Wal-Mart across town.
We don't have any smaller hardware stores here...the smallest is Ace.....but I will take Ace (which has more employed help) anyday over the big stores (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes).

Old 08-05-2015, 02:05 PM

I'm in this frame of mind....I want to live somewhere that doesn't necessarily LOOK like the 1950s per say, but has the same community feel of the 1950s, such as:

1) Locally owned stores (Mom & Pops)
2) Gas Stations with attendants that pump gas, wash windows, check oil/tire pressure
3) Neighbors who look out for each other and socialize
4) Kids have freedom to be kids (wander freely without constant helicopter supervision)

Old 08-22-2015, 10:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Any town in the upper peninsula of Michigan is frozen in time.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:37 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertChildAZ View Post
I'm in this frame of mind....I want to live somewhere that doesn't necessarily LOOK like the 1950s per say, but has the same community feel of the 1950s, such as:

1) Locally owned stores (Mom & Pops)
2) Gas Stations with attendants that pump gas, wash windows, check oil/tire pressure
3) Neighbors who look out for each other and socialize
4) Kids have freedom to be kids (wander freely without constant helicopter supervision)

I thought I found one Lakeland, Florida, at least some of what you have listed. It's nice enough but it seems to be a very high crime, traffic mess for a smaller city. Not a place I'd let kids wander about, and there are always sirens blaring in the background in many areas of town. The neighbors. I don't know maybe it's not a Florida thing. I rarely see much socializing. It's come and go with the seasons in Florida by the thousands, not a trait that gives off a friendly vibe. Or its locals that seem like your an annoyance from elsewhere in the USA. I don't know about the rest of Florida, but in little Lakeland it does come off that way. It still lives deep in its southern conservative country roots. Which strikes me strange it is in such a populated region right between Tampa and Orlando. Initially I would have said it pretty much fit, just about all you listed for a place. Just shows visiting and living somewhere, are two very different experiences.

So if your lucky enough to find your place, I'd keep it to myself. Otherwise everyone will move there, and it will become like so many other places people try to get away from. Best of Luck.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I thought I found one Lakeland, Florida, at least some of what you have listed. It's nice enough but it seems to be a very high crime, traffic mess for a smaller city. Not a place I'd let kids wander about, and there are always sirens blaring in the background in many areas of town. The neighbors. I don't know maybe it's not a Florida thing. I rarely see much socializing. It's come and go with the seasons in Florida by the thousands, not a trait that gives off a friendly vibe. Or its locals that seem like your an annoyance from elsewhere in the USA. I don't know about the rest of Florida, but in little Lakeland it does come off that way. It still lives deep in its southern conservative country roots. Which strikes me strange it is in such a populated region right between Tampa and Orlando. Initially I would have said it pretty much fit, just about all you listed for a place. Just shows visiting and living somewhere, are two very different experiences.

So if your lucky enough to find your place, I'd keep it to myself. Otherwise everyone will move there, and it will become like so many other places people try to get away from. Best of Luck.
Most definitely NOT Lakeland FL. In FL, try Perry, Carabelle etc. (most towns on the forgotten coast), maybe a town like Arcadia (but it is inland), maybe Okeechobee, places like Pahokee, Clewiston etc. - bear in mkind some of these may be a bit too "southern" for some

Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
i am with Nurv1 , i would be one of the people driving a1950s car even with no air conditioning. only 1950s music from a radio and 1950s tv shows that would be a dream and throw out out the damn cell phones. Just want to escape the rat race. Can we start a town like this i am in

Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 PM

240 posts, read 253,601 times
Many of the towns in eastern Oregon sort of feel like they're trapped in the past. Smaller towns such as Condon, Wasco, Fossil, and Ukiah (the first three are county seats) lack chain supermarkets or even have nothing more than a general store. Very few of the towns south of I-84, east of Bend, and west of the ID border have more than 2,000 residents and many have only a few hundred people. Of course, nobody dresses like it's the 1950s, drives 50s cars, or owns furniture and appliances straight out of the 50s. That doesn't exist anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living