Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?

Hyder, Alaska. Still in the 60's. I've been there 8 times. Bought an old cabin there and it will now be the summer place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Any town with a population less than about 300 is like that.

Any small town anywhere.

Here in my state [Maine] most [the majority] of townships have a population of fewer than 300 people.

Belmont that I mentioned earlier has a permanent population of 6. LOL

Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I don't think the town is stuck in the 50s but it seems that every year during the annual Clovis Music Festival a few UK folks make Clovis, New Mexico their new home. The Festival is a celebration of 1950's rock and roll like that recorded at Clovis' Norman Petty Studios by Buddy Holly, Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs, Roy Orbison, Bobby Vee, Waylon Jennings and others. With radio, TV, the internet and a very mobile society, no town can actually get stuck in time as much as many may like to.

HPR is right. One of the pleasures of my life was attending the 50th anniversary of Buddy Holly's birth in 1987, on September 7th IIRC. I lived in the Denver area then, took a couple friends with me. The president of the Buddy Holly Fan Club organized a car show downtown, sock hop, and the auction was set up at the Clovis shopping mall where Maria, buddy's wife, provided lots of signed photos, promo records, etc. There were a lot of dealers set up in the next room over selling 50's and 60's music. It was a blast!

The best part was the oldies concert at the Clovis theater, several acts played, and Bobby Vee headlined it. Played for over two hours with his hits and the last 40 minutes was a great medley of Buddy's hits. After the show Vee came out in the crowd to meet the fans, sign autographs, one of the nicest people I've ever met.

I almost went down there a couple years ago when I spent a couple days in Tucumcari, N.M. for the annual Route 66 festival. Who showed up to sing? How about Wanda Jackson? Had a great time! Tucumcari was like a lot of towns on Route 66 that really suffered when in interstate was finished around 1980 or so. I lived down there for several months in late '82/early '83, worked on a CO2 pipeline job. Gave a thought about buying a place there but didn't-been thinking about it again. Go through 66 through downtown and look at a lot of the old motels that are still going strong, such as the Blue Swallow Motel with all the neon lights. And the Big Sombrero Motel with that huge sombrero on top of the roof. Pure 50's! Sadly lots of places have been boarded up but the town is still hanging in there. There's a guitar club that plays twice a month at one of the community centers, pretty darn good musicians too!

Old 01-28-2019, 07:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
HPR is right. One of the pleasures of my life was attending the 50th anniversary of Buddy Holly's birth in 1987, on September 7th IIRC. I lived in the Denver area then, took a couple friends with me. The president of the Buddy Holly Fan Club organized a car show downtown, sock hop, and the auction was set up at the Clovis shopping mall where Maria, buddy's wife, provided lots of signed photos, promo records, etc. There were a lot of dealers set up in the next room over selling 50's and 60's music. It was a blast!

==SNIP==
Hey HH. Thanks for the rep after which I came back over her to read through the many pages that have been posted since my last visit, then I saw your reply. Whew! This thread has turned into a BIG one! Lots of folks looking for some peace of mind I suppose?

Clovis to me has always been a neat little town I suppose since it was where the military brought me as wide-eyed and naive youngun' many many years ago. I may have told you my family once lived at Clovis while I was in school at Portales? I actually knew the two people who died as a result of the March 2007 tornado over there. The elderly lady (Blevins) had been my next door neighbor years before. The man who died as a result of his injuries (Cravey) was a fellow I had worked with at the Santa Fe RR while I was attending school at Portales. My family and I left Clovis in 1980.

I know little about Tucumcari, NM except we used to go through the area every summer on our way to fish and waterski at Ute Lake at Logan, NM. I would have loved to see Wanda Jackson. As a teen, she was my favorite rockabilly star. I had one of her early albums in HS.

And yes, there is a little left of the old Route 66 scheme around Tucumcari. However, having arrived in NM in the mid 1960s, I remember well the time when there was no I-40.

BTW, I think I remember when Bobby Vee came over to Clovis but it wasn't one of the times we attended the Music Festival. I've still not gotten through the Norman Petty Studio but still plan to some day. I think there is now a rock & roll museum in downtown Clovis that presents a lot of Holly's history as well as that of the NorVaJak recording studio out on 7th Street.

If you ever get down to Lubbock, look me up for a cup of coffee or lunch maybe? At Lubbock, there is the Buddy Holly Center with a museum and gift shop as well as the Walk of Fame memorial. Out in front of the Center they have the actual restored home of Jerry Allison, Holly's drummer. Then of course there is the graveside of Buddy Holly where, if you are so inclined as I have been in the past , you may leave a guitar pick to "keep the music alive."

Take care my friend.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 PM

8 posts, read 6,045 times
Cottonwood, South Dakota.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:15 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
My aunt lives in a little town called Tiffin OH. It's stuck in time. I hadn't been there in 30 yrs and remembered my way around as almost nothing had changed. It's the kind of town that still has a weekly car show, town festivals etc.

I would consider moving there if I were ready for that kind of life change.
that is some creative writing right there.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:07 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Hyder, Alaska. Still in the 60's. I've been there 8 times. Bought an old cabin there and it will now be the summer place.
I would agree. It's a bit complicated getting there too, where ever you're coming from.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:56 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Anyplace is better as long as it isn't in the San Francisco Bay Area or California.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Anyplace is better as long as it isn't in the San Francisco Bay Area or California.

I think SF is great. I feel very fortunate to have been able to live there briefly.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think SF is great. I feel very fortunate to have been able to live there briefly.
Well I have lived here all of my life and in SF bay area.
How long did you live in in SF?, which part? and what years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living