Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:40 PM

105 posts, read 298,048 times

Advertisements

Maybe you've heard the country song "Famous in small town". For all you small town folks are there really certain people that are famous in your small town or rural area? Not paparazzi famous but someone who is only known in area for some reason or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
in the small town i now inhabit there are many people here that are "legends in their own minds"--most of them are politicians or have mafia(really doesn't exsist according to locals)money-----don't you know who i am?or who do you know?are daily questions here----am now perfecting my quizzical look and can reply what?questionly in english or spanish

Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
My town has only 40 people, so if being "famous in a small town" means everybody in town knows you, then we are all famous because I'm pretty sure that everybody knows everybody else.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Nicholas Sparks, novelist, lives in smallish town of New Bern NC.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,007 times
Well, do you count the high school sports heroes who remain famous in-town no matter how long ago it was that they played?

Or, there's the young women who placed in the state beauty pageant - there was a billboard on the highway with her picture for a while.

And anyone who wins a ribbon at the fair is famous for a while! One of my volunteers won a blue ribbon at the state fair for a crumb pie, and everyone mentions that when they talk about her.

Then there are those of us who are famous by association. A guy who lives in the town where I used to live was a roadie for a lot of well known 60s rock bands including the Greatful Dead - he's a grandpa whose extended family now travels around doing sound systems for fairs and concerts in our region.

One of the most well-known photo conservationists in America lives in a small town just north of where I live now. It's a college town - I'll bet a lot of professors in teeny college towns are famous in their fields of study.

None of the above are paparazzi famous, but they ARE famous in the small towns where they live!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
Okay, in my husband's home town, a neighbor down the street from where he grew up ,mailed a rattlesnake in the mail to another neighbor. That made the national news.
The chief of police in another town we lived in made " The National Equirer " front page for exposing himself to young women while on duty. It was pretty wild for us because we had just moved across the country when that story broke and had no clue this had happened until we saw it on the news stand. Nothing can prepare you for seeing someone you personally know on the cover of "The National Enquirer "

Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
LOL @ the above - - I once considered tossing a rattlesnake into a problem neighbors front door... LOL Glad now that I didn't.

I grew up in the Hollywood scene. My Mother was married to a well known supporting actor, and I had some media "fame" of my own for 15 minutes. I've been on the TV and newspaper a couple of times (nothing sinister). But having seen it from the "F" list, trust me, you do not want the kind of fame where you have to drive around in blacked out SUV's or have paparazzi chase you. It is very expensive.

Nowadays I am semi-well known in a small town where I own a landmark apartment complex and a business, and I particiate in local politics (to protect my investment - local laws are made by those who show up...). Many local people know me. People are nice to me. They know I am an employer and they might need a job sometime, or maybe their friend or relative lives in my complex. It's not an autograph type of fame, but it's nice to be recognised and greeted warmly if you go to dinner or the store.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymaple View Post
Maybe you've heard the country song "Famous in small town". For all you small town folks are there really certain people that are famous in your small town or rural area? Not paparazzi famous but someone who is only known in area for some reason or another.
I wouldn't call them "famous" because it really doesn't fit, but there are people who everybody knows who they are. Be it local politics, larger employer, big farmer, school administration, or just living here forever. An example would be one of my Brothers friends, he grew up, moved to Florida, and was the main Mickey Mouse at Disney for years. Another would be a guy who grew up here, and still spends a lot of time here in the Summer. You wouldn't know his name, but I am willing to bet you have heard his musical compositions because he does the music for a LOT of the major award shows on TV, and has worked iin the music business for decades.

Everybody here knows these two by at least name, but they are not "famous" here, just high name recognition. It isn't like anyone would get an autograph or a photo taken with them. We also have a guy who makes a KILLER pizza! LOL

Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,300 times
Lots of people in our little "hickopolis" have the "big fish in a little sea syndrome". It's really quite funny to see them in action.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
When I was in high school a lady down the street had everyone convinced she was going to marry Elvis! We couldn't get out of our driveway for 2 days!
When my kids were in high school they were local legends for throwing a party one weekend when my husband and I went out of town--it was dubbed "Brownstock"
We no longer live there.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living