Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
LOL! Of course it is for everyone! But you assuming the post was directed at you was hilarious.
I did not assume it was directed at me but it was a public post in the thread so I replied to it.

Quote:
But if 17k is enough to potentially be successful, then most of the US fits in that category.
Wait, I am confused - did you start with $17K in the manufacturing business and later sold it or did you start with $17K farming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:42 PM

297 posts, read 358,700 times
How was that post confusing?
I started with nothing, fresh out of the military, then found a failing business then negotiated a price which I then gathered the money for by selling my personal belongings. A beat up truck, a Harley and a welding machine. After a few years, I sold the business.

Which is one of a few ways, other people have also gotten a start in farming.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I did buy a farm, a real farm, as an investment. I needed thirty percent down to get a 7 1/2% mortgage on the balance. The farm hadn't had a crop for five years. I looked long and hard at financing; this was the best I could do. My neighbors who have the most land are mortgaged. Unlike most of them who are professional farmers, I could make my payments if the farm ceased to produce.

People can often establish hobby farms with savings and retirement income. I used investment income from other sources. The little place in the country can be lots of fun for people who can support themselves through other means.

I am not now nor have I ever been employed by government at any level. I have never received government subsidies or any sort of support from them. I have been forced against my will to participate in Social Security. I'd be far better off without it,

You can always take the SS and donate it to a good cause! I donate my military disability directly to a handful of military family support groups.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
You can always take the SS and donate it to a good cause! I donate my military disability directly to a handful of military family support groups.
That's the money I paid. The rate of return is garbage. I consider it a very poor recovery of my own money.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Ahh ok gotcha. Ya, true that. Just live as long as you can and make as much of it back as you can!

Some old lady out here got busted for that. She collected her husbands SS for 23 years after he passed away. They went and charged her but she died of old age before sentencing. I call that a win.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:20 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Quote:
ehh...sort of..
This uses California as an example:
The California median wage is 76,000 annually.
A person making $48,000 a year in california you have to pay $245 a month or 2940 a year.
If you make more, you still pay the same, but if you make less you will be provided financial assistance or financial aid and pay less.
$20k annually pays $84 a month
$10k annually pays $25 a month.
That being said, in addition to Obama care, covered california pays a premium so if you are in the financial assistance bracket, then the state will also pay some of the costs.

So the people getting screwed are those closest to $48,000 in annual income while being over $48,000. That is the lowest income for the highest payment ratio.

$84 a month to someone making $20,000 is a big deal. I would say that is getting screwed. That individual is going to need to come up with the deductibles too.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
$84 a month to someone making $20,000 is a big deal. I would say that is getting screwed. That individual is going to need to come up with the deductibles too.
"That being said, in addition to Obama care, covered california pays a premium so if you are in the financial assistance bracket, then the state will also pay some of the costs."

I think you missed the above statement.

My fiance was working part time and AFTER the California assistance she paid nothing per month, besides $10 co-payments and $7 a prescription.

IF your company does not provide medical AND you are not in school and thus covered by C.H.I.P AND not disabled OR a veteran with VA AND Your not covered by your spouse then the state and fed has you pretty well covered.

If you give me your state and zip I can give you your rates. California and a few other states are a bit different because of the state programs.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
How was that post confusing?
I started with nothing, fresh out of the military, then found a failing business then negotiated a price which I then gathered the money for by selling my personal belongings. A beat up truck, a Harley and a welding machine. After a few years, I sold the business.

Which is one of a few ways, other people have also gotten a start in farming.
Oh boy. It wasn't really confusing but I wanted you to say it in one short sentence.

All this time I am talking about the people who come in flush with dough after selling their businesses or getting out of the corporate world and they "stumble into farming". Then they become the "mouthpiece" of the "anyone can get into farming" movement.

Your situation is like mine basically, only you bought a business and I went to "collage" (as you call it) and work as a professional for years accumulating "capitol" (as you call it). To go to college you don't even need any money, you can borrow it all (or you can even work while in college and have no debt) - consider that a necessary long-term investment (like your $17K out of navy). After that you work (like you ran your business), accumulate wealth and then you quit (like you sold) and become a (gentleman?) farmer. I guess the only difference is that I have never accepted handouts in my life and have never been an expert welfare queen

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your story, except that it is not exactly like you started as a poor apprentice somewhere (but I guess you ignored that part of my post - it's funny how you pick and choose what you want to answer to just to serve you long running theme).

At this point it is kind of silly to keep on discussing anything. Anyone asking if they can come in poor into farming should know to ignore your advice since you didn't exactly come in poor

Last edited by LordyLordy; 01-04-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
IF your company does not provide medical AND you are not in school and thus covered by C.H.I.P AND not disabled OR a veteran with VA AND Your not covered by your spouse then the state and fed has you pretty well covered.

If you give me your state and zip I can give you your rates. California and a few other states are a bit different because of the state programs.
Wow, some people become expert "Welfare queens" and they even help others take advantage of the system

Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I did buy a farm, a real farm, as an investment. I needed thirty percent down to get a 7 1/2% mortgage on the balance. The farm hadn't had a crop for five years. I looked long and hard at financing; this was the best I could do. My neighbors who have the most land are mortgaged. Unlike most of them who are professional farmers, I could make my payments if the farm ceased to produce.

People can often establish hobby farms with savings and retirement income. I used investment income from other sources. The little place in the country can be lots of fun for people who can support themselves through other means.

I am not now nor have I ever been employed by government at any level. I have never received government subsidies or any sort of support from them. I have been forced against my will to participate in Social Security. I'd be far better off without it,
Well this is how it generally works or at least it should. I applaud you for it. Whatever happened to running an honest enterprise and being responsible for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living