Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
A few people do very well with mushrooms around here too.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 PM

173 posts, read 165,090 times
I learned so much from this thread. Great responses in the first several pages.

Before signing up with this forum I was reading up starting small farms etc. I already knew as a fact that many farms don't need large sums of money to start up or be successful.

What I didn't know about was the huge support networks out there that help get people started. I am glad there such resources and links that can help people break in.

Planting thank you for reviving this thread.

Moving forward hopefully we can all just ignore the clearly incompetent petty folk(s) who think this is debate club and hi jacked it for several pages. As there was a lot of real knowledge to be had here for any looking for it.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard View Post
I learned so much from this thread. Great responses in the first several pages.

Before signing up with this forum I was reading up starting small farms etc. I already knew as a fact that many farms don't need large sums of money to start up or be successful.

What I didn't know about was the huge support networks out there that help get people started. I am glad there such resources and links that can help people break in.

Planting thank you for reviving this thread.

Moving forward hopefully we can all just ignore the clearly incompetent petty folk(s) who think this is debate club and hi jacked it for several pages. As there was a lot of real knowledge to be had here for any looking for it.
Slap the rose colored glasses on and good riddance. Let us know how it works out.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
First off, it's possible and it is not complicated. Contrary to what folks have told you in this thread, it is doable and you dont have to spend a fortune. All the cry-me-a-river stories of small farms come from folks who are used to plowing 100+ acres - they just can't accept the reality that you can be WAY more productive per acre in a small acreage. Check out SPIN farming SPIN-Farming - How to farm commercially on under an acre and also check out the Urban Homestead Urban Homestead ® - Path to Freedom - the latter will refute all the bull***t spread around about how difficult it is to farm a small spread.

Most important thing is to believe in whatever process you choose and not to listen to nay-sayers.
My $.02

So do I still need those rose colored glasses?

Maybe borrow yours?

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 08-27-2015 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This spring our regional Organic Certifying network lists over 100 farms who are looking for apprentices.

Many of them offer room/board, you are involved with every aspect of farming including marketing, and you receive a stipend.

Apprentice a couple years, maybe become a Farm Manager, and there are folks who are ready to help you to get onto your own farm land.

Then as another idea, I have a friend who starts a new farm, gets it to supporting itself, then he brings in apprentices. As years go by, he tries to form a group of apprentices who like one another and work well together. Then he convinces the group to form a partnership, and as a partnership to buy the farm. Then he uses that cash to buy his next farm, where he does it all over again.

Stay low over-head.

Hi Sub,

Have you had any experience within your organization with Woofers? https://wwoofusa.org/

If you are familiar with the program how does it differ from your networks apprentice program?

I ask because last week when reading this thread I was only aware of their program.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Sub,

Have you had any experience within your organization with Woofers? https://wwoofusa.org/

If you are familiar with the program how does it differ from your networks apprentice program?

I ask because last week when reading this thread I was only aware of their program.
I have heard of Woofers. Though I am not sure if I know of any.

Networking organic farms into Coops and Farmers Markets, is different from starting up new farms.

Do people want access to local organic produce?

Or do they want to live on and operate a sustainable farm?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 PM

I not qiute sure I follow you but to best answer your questions.

Woofer farms usually fall into both categorizes. Both organic and sustainable farming methods. Some farms are mom and pop and cannot afford to pay for some additional hands. Typically farms that can pay labor do not acquire woofers.

The woofers work on any farm that participates. The woofer gets to choose the farm based on the criteria they are looking for. Organic, Self sufficiency, Sustainable, etc. The farmer gets to choose the woofers that apply to their farm.

Typically woofer's only work half days or some full days and some off days. Their pay is in room & board and meals usually. No money. There are no rules that woofers and the farmers cannot strike an additional payment plan in return for additional labor from my understanding at least.

I have spoken to two woofers. Both enjoyed their experience and both had very different deals.

In the end the farm gets extra hands and the woofer gets first hand farm life experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
With any due respect, you are in error.

There are folks who are earning a living, supporting a family and thriving; on small farms. Entirely without a big operation.

I am member of our regional Organic Certifying agency. We have a large state-wide network of farms and markets. Within this network are many farms who take in 'Apprentices' each year [this past season over 150 farms took in apprentices]. Of those generally about 1/4 will decide to stay with farming, at least another year.

With 2 to 3 years of experience, some of these Journeymen are posted in positions as Farm Managers of CSAs. While others strike out on their own to start independent farms. Most of those new Farm Managers, after a couple years will venture out onto their own private farm. Again our agency helps to coordinate the process of getting those new farmers onto new farms.

Your apprentices though. They actually get paid while working right? What the typical program like. Do they need to come from AG major in college for example. Is it open to the newbie such as myself?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I not qiute sure I follow you but to best answer your questions.

Woofer farms usually fall into both categorizes. Both organic and sustainable farming methods. Some farms are mom and pop and cannot afford to pay for some additional hands. Typically farms that can pay labor do not acquire woofers.

The woofers work on any farm that participates. The woofer gets to choose the farm based on the criteria they are looking for. Organic, Self sufficiency, Sustainable, etc. The farmer gets to choose the woofers that apply to their farm.

Typically woofer's only work half days or some full days and some off days. Their pay is in room & board and meals usually. No money. There are no rules that woofers and the farmers cannot strike an additional payment plan in return for additional labor from my understanding at least.

I have spoken to two woofers. Both enjoyed their experience and both had very different deals.

In the end the farm gets extra hands and the woofer gets first hand farm life experience.

Your apprentices though. They actually get paid while working right? What the typical program like. Do they need to come from AG major in college for example. Is it open to the newbie such as myself?
No experience is required. The idea is to get you onto your own farm.

We have got to get more farms going.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:50 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
So do I still need those rose colored glasses?

Maybe borrow yours?
You can have them, after actually trying my hand at it - I realized that a phat bank account is a basic requirement for playing farmer on small acreage... or big acreage... Believe me if you want, don't believe me if you want. I have veggies galore growing in my garden but they are only for the wife and me and nobody else. I could not even dream of making a living off the land - back breaking, crops fail, no health insurance - a dog's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living