Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
Hey guys, we all know in the U.S. that the rural areas are generally quite conservative and urban areas being quite liberal. I am interested in knowing areas that fall out of place. What rural areas in the United States are liberal (socially, economically, or both)?
If you want liberal try the entire state of Hawaii, although a lot of folks don't think we are part of the United States, so maybe we don't count.

If you want seriously liberal and rural, try Pahoa on the Island of Hawaii. We are talking so far liberal that you mainland folks don't even have a concept for it.

Leather chaps and nipple rings? No problem, although folks will wonder how you keep the leather chaps from getting mildewed in the humidity. Rainbow hair and dreadlocks? No problem, folks will ask who does your hair since they like the colors. Body mods? Ditto. Interesting interpretations of personal relationships? Folks may ask just as a conversational topic but otherwise they don't really care. Vegans? Dime a dozen. Now if you are a breatharian or extremely strict fruitarian, there might be a conversational topic there, but nothing other than a conversational topic unless you try shoving your personal nutritional system onto someone else of a differing mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
I'd like to raise the following point: just because an area has a large amount of Democratic-leaning voters does not necessarily make it liberal. Some previously mentioned areas are Democratic-leaning due to the presence of union represented labor.

Regions like Ashville, NC, the Allegheny Mountains in PA, Rust Belt areas of Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, etc are definitely not liberal in values. They are very conservative on social issue but vote for their paycheck. Can't blame them; we self preserve first. Due to this fact, the Midwest is considered battleground territory for elections.

This is totally correct. Kentucky is a Democrat stronghold but filled with the most conservative, folks in the nation.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
I'd like to raise the following point: just because an area has a large amount of Democratic-leaning voters does not necessarily make it liberal. ...............
You are absolutely correct.

According to Gallup (this particular poll is done annually), 43.7% of Americans identify themselves as Democrats and 20.6% identify themselves as liberals.

State of the States

Probably some of the liberals are independents who don't have party loyalty.

Therefore, fewer than half of Democrats consider themselves to be liberals.

Even in my state of Oregon, which is often said to be liberal, only about half of the Democrats claim to be liberal.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Just look for rural areas in a state that is taxing its citizens to death and you should be OK.
Ah, I wish. I live in such a hugely conservative state and county and town and I don't know if my taxes have ever been higher. And we don't even have a decent school system or road system to show for it. Hell, I can't even get the sheriff to help me.

I stick by the small college town as a good indicator, then go from there.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Ah, I wish. I live in such a hugely conservative state and county and town and I don't know if my taxes have ever been higher. And we don't even have a decent school system or road system to show for it. Hell, I can't even get the sheriff to help me.

I stick by the small college town as a good indicator, then go from there.
What state?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Regarding the previous post with the colorful description of acceptance of "difference" in Hawaii, I venture to say that a person who goes to church or puts a Republican sign out might not be accepted. I had a college friend, parents were middle-class Iowans. She moved to California, got free schooling and had a baby and went on welfare, and did all the vegan, etc. things. She was saying about her then-2-year-old daughter, "I guess she'll be further out than I am, and we'll feel the way my parents do." I said, "What if she wants to shave her head, eat white bread, and join the Army?" K said, "I'll freaken kill her." (This was Chico, CA, 1979).
I have noticed that some people who think they are oh-so-liberal-tolerant talk trash about committed Christians. Now, I'm not one, and I don't like anyone coming to my door with religion, but I'm talking about a co-worker who was a committed Christian, didn't mention it, identified music on her iPod as Christian music, and had a bible in her backpack that someone saw. Her moron co-worker gave her endless static about it. I wish I had known when it happened, because had she reported it, she'd never have to work another day in her life.
I lived in Cambridge, Mass. (not rural, but supposedly liberal/tolerant) and learned through the rent-control idiocy that acceptance was only to left of center and further left.
I did once starting digging my car out of the snowstorm in my Army Reserve uniform, and my lesbian religion neighbor helped me, while wearing a "No Blood for Oil" button.
I wonder what the OP was asking, or what he/she meant in asking. If gay, then a gay-OK/safe place? Voting? The afore-mentioned tofu? New Agey religion?
I am reading this forum because I am genuinely interested in place, people's perceptions and experiences. I have considered moving to small towns out West and have realized it's a fantasy- not so much because I wouldn't fit in but because I've come to appreciate what is available in my current area and will be better for me as I get older. Come to think of it, the two small towns I thought of have a lot of "outsiders" moving there, and the yoga studios are kicking up. I guess if I've heard of a place to move to, other people have, too.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Look at this map:

http://psychohistory.files.wordpress.../picture-2.png

Only a few NY counties are as deep red (large McCain voting share) as much of rural PA. Much of rural NY is a light red with some blue mixed in.

The northern Midwest looks like it has some liberal rural areas as well.
I BELIEVE you! Sheesh! Upstate NY is less conservative than rural PA. To me they are conservative, it's a matter of degree.

As for Upstate NY, I know certain areas of the Catskills are still liberal. Livingston Manor is one.

I don't know any in PA.

Upper mid west has quite a few liberal suburbs, especially places outside of the Twin City area. Think Al Franken and the Coen Btothers. However, they grew up in the 'burbs not the country.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I thought Asheville, NC, the town itself, has blown up into one of those destination towns, like Sedona or Taos or such- a lot of outsiders/Northerners, dreadlocked people playing guitars on the streets, zooming real estate prices, and decidedly socially liberal because of the rapid changes. (A music teacher friend of mine went to visit to consider it for retirement, because of the large numbers of music availability and interests). She said the landscape was beautiful, the town was exploding and was expensive and she was going to forget about it for retirement.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Of course, the fact that homosexuality is a sin and specifically proscribed by the the Bible, it happens that there are a lot of people who are reluctant to embrace what their religious beliefs classify as sinful perversion.

I tend to respect others' religious beliefs even when I don't agree. There are limits, of course, but it is understandable that many devout Christians are not willing to challenge the Bible.
What do you mean "the fact that homosexuality is a sin..." I am a devout heterosexual Christian. I don't believe that. Most Christian religions don't teach that.

The ONLY denominations that I know of that teach that crap are Pentecostals and Fundamentalists. The Roman Catholic Church teaches it, but many Catholics don't agree.

CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS WHO DON"T ASCRIBE to that misinterpretation include most* Episciplians, Evangelical Lutherans, United Methodists, United Church of Christ (you know the church of the pilgrims) Presbyterians and others.

You and your snake handling, tongue speaking, Bob Jones Oral Roberts types exist on the margins of society. Something like 28%

So don't tell ME what is sin and not sin! Unless you spell your name "GOD"

Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What do you mean "the fact that homosexuality is a sin..." I am a devout heterosexual Christian. I don't believe that. Most Christian religions don't teach that.

The ONLY denominations that I know of that teach that crap are Pentecostals and Fundamentalists. The Roman Catholic Church teaches it, but many Catholics don't agree.

CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS WHO DON"T ASCRIBE to that misinterpretation include most* Episciplians, Evangelical Lutherans, United Methodists, United Church of Christ (you know the church of the pilgrims) Presbyterians and others.

You and your snake handling, tongue speaking, Bob Jones Oral Roberts types exist on the margins of society. Something like 28%

So don't tell ME what is sin and not sin! Unless you spell your name "GOD"

Hahaha! Touched a nerve did I? Read the rest of my posts on this subject before you go into a hissy fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living