Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

I've lived my entire life in Wisconsin, USA. I'm planning to move to Europe with my boyfriend and a friend of his this fall. We've been doing a lot of research, but I think I will get the exact answer I want via this thread.

I'm from a small town, and am currently living in a small city. I don't agree with my current style of living. I would like to live somewhere fairly liberal, small, and beautiful. Somewhere that values simplistic ways of life.

Does this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,723 times
Have you looked into the immigration requirements of countries of interest ? This usually turns out to be much more difficult than expected. What languages do you speak ? You can get away with not knowing the language if you are a tourist but not if you plan on living there. Maybe you could say which countries you are thinking of in order to narrow it down a bit.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall3 View Post
I would like to live somewhere fairly liberal, small, and beautiful. Somewhere that values simplistic ways of life.

Does this exist?
Well, that narrows it down to about 300,000 towns and villages.

You can go to Ghiroc. Maybe this Winter you'll see me cruising by with my horse and sleigh. Or in the Fall I might have my horse pulling a wagon full of potatoes.

The reason I suggested Ghiroc is because in my village, only a few houses have running water and indoor plumbing (mine being one of them). Going to the town well and using an out-house might be just a wee bit too simplistic for you.

There are no telephones, but you can have a cell, and my neighbor says they have data services, so can hook into the internet using broadband.

And it is beautiful. The River Mures runs nearby. Near the monastery in Lipova, there's an old castle on a hill (over-looking a bend in the Mures). We go sled riding down the hills in Winter there. It's fun.

Simplistlically...

Mircea

Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I think "simple living" is more an act of the person doing the living than a place, although I suppose the static is much louder in a city.
I mean, if you want to be away from, say, consumeristic competition, then opt out. Don't care what you own/wear/drive compared to others, and who cares what the others think? If you feel too wired up, unplug. You don't have to move somewhere without access to live without access, just work on yourself and ditch the Facebook and smartphones and doodads that seem to keep people so focused on themselves and their electronics and not on living life.
What does OP think "simpler way of life" means? Is it necessarily more likely to be found in Europe than in non-suburban America?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
We, ourselves, live pretty simply in a small town in the U.S. Since we moved here, we gave up our cell phones, got rid of one of our two cars, (but bought two used bikes), wash dishes by hand, go to a lot of potlucks, but rarely eat out anymore, I cook most meals from scratch and bake bread and muffins, we have the cheapest, most basic of cable services, get most of our entertainment from the local library, and work out by walking and riding our bikes.

Sometimes we have a vegetable garden...and sometimes we swap services such as dog-sitting...

It's actually quite simple, this life of ours...and we're very content. No debt.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
I lived in Europe for many years and married a German.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get residency in ANY European country? To stay longer than 3 months will require an enormous amount of paperwork and fluency in your host country. You have to narrow down which country you want to stay in before anyone can help you.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
To find a place in Europe today that values simplistic ways of life, you might have to move to the former Soviet Bloc. Because of the many decades of communist influence in this area, you might even find them to be somewhat liberal (although I'm sure they don't have New York Times delivery.):

Life in a Day, 24. 07.10, Bulgarian village.mov - YouTube

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
To find a place in Europe today that values simplistic ways of life, you might have to move to the former Soviet Bloc. Because of the many decades of communist influence in this area, you might even find them to be somewhat liberal (although I'm sure they don't have New York Times delivery.):

Life in a Day, 24. 07.10, Bulgarian village.mov - YouTube
There are eastern european countries like Czech Republic or Poland and then there are Eastern European countries like Bulgaria or Romania. In the former people are of almost German mentality, hard working and law abiding. In the latter people are of a very different mentality, corruption is rampant and for a foreigner it could be a 50/50 chance of having a good time or having a very bad time living there, depending on what/who they run into, what legal and paperwork maze they need to navigate and what corrupt or non-corrupt city/county government official they have to deal with.

Otherwise I agree...

OD

Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall3 View Post
I've lived my entire life in Wisconsin, USA. I'm planning to move to Europe with my boyfriend and a friend of his this fall. We've been doing a lot of research, but I think I will get the exact answer I want via this thread.

I'm from a small town, and am currently living in a small city. I don't agree with my current style of living. I would like to live somewhere fairly liberal, small, and beautiful. Somewhere that values simplistic ways of life.

Does this exist?
I am assuming you've got the practicalities like immigration,making a living etc. covered...

If you can handle inclement weather, I'd suggest something close to the coast somewhere in Scandinavia. Be aware that small towns are small towns: People have their well-trodden circles and they're sometimes very hard to break into. But it's as liberal as can be asked for, and people do like simplicity - there's respect for those who can grow food, nobody sneers at using bicycles for transport, that sort of thing. Not my cuppa for longer than a few weeks, but I can see how it clicks with some.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM

684 posts, read 1,121,986 times
Oxford is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living