Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Sorry he is dead but maybe it is for the best he might have starved to death otherwise and yes most likely someone shot him thinking he was after something on their farm .. I would be looking for other though because as the old saying goes where there is one there will be others . We were raised on Kings ranch in Montana and my father used to tell us that where there is one there are others so we never went anywhere far by ourselves unless we packed a shot gun in the gun boot of our saddles and we knew that if we shot , shoot to kill and not wound . my father always told us that it is better to shoot and kill them instead of wounding and letting them die in the wild . Im sorry he is dead but he could have very well been and underweight wolf because he was not able to eat like he would have normally he probably was getting too close to a farm .. But like I say be on the lookout for others . Good luck to you and watch your livestock .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
FWIW - I saw a coyote in the middle of I-93 north of Boston this morning. It looked like he was trying to cross the southbound lanes. I hope he made it.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I pulled up to a gas station here in rural Oklahoma and there was a pickup with two huge gray wolves in back. I asked if they were hybrids and he said no. Beautiful creatures, but why do people think a wolf would make a good pet? Even if you bottle feed them and raise them, they are still instinctually wolves.

One of our dogs was part red fox. At least according to the vet who went by the shape of the feet. That dog had no concept of fence lines.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I pulled up to a gas station here in rural Oklahoma and there was a pickup with two huge gray wolves in back. I asked if they were hybrids and he said no. Beautiful creatures, but why do people think a wolf would make a good pet? Even if you bottle feed them and raise them, they are still instinctually wolves.

One of our dogs was part red fox. At least according to the vet who went by the shape of the feet. That dog had no concept of fence lines.
I so agree with you they are not pets they are essentially wild animals and should have been returned to the wild even if bottlefed they are still wild animals .

Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
The mitochondrial DNA of the domestic dog is wolf, pure wolf. Many taxonomists now classify our beloved companions as a subspecies of the wolf.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The mitochondrial DNA of the domestic dog is wolf, pure wolf. Many taxonomists now classify our beloved companions as a subspecies of the wolf.
Interesting and cool. But can a dog survive in the wild country of Wyoming?

I think I posted in another thread that a coyote was coming in to our yard at night. It was very large and in the moonlight almost looked yellowish within the normal coyote fur coloring. Our female GSD got into a little scrap with the coyote, which came back every night. I threw some lead one night and it has not been back since.

Coyotes are smart!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
something I thought of a while ago-if it is a coyote, I'd keep your dog away. Around here (NE PA) one coyote has been known to make friends with a dog, then lure it off to play-into the rest of the coyote pack as dinner.

From what missingall4seasons said, maybe they don't do that everywhere.
Yah... a few people in my neighbourhood have sighted a coyote or two... though its a rare sight compared to fox. That is why both me & hubby want a Great Pry to guard our livestock.

I think if the wolf/coyote/wilddog whatever it is... its best just to leave them alone so long nothing is hurt.
BUT... if something is hurt like a livestock... well then it justify taking care of it then.

I do hear of some cases where these wild animals are even partially domesticated & even bred with the HO's dogs... now would be a shame to kill off an animal already partially tamed & only coming close to humans just out of curiosity.

Now... if you hear a whole pack howling...
Then, its time to load & shoot for the JIC human attacks (especially with small children around) I would think.

Last edited by hueyeats; 10-05-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
P.S. recent "gungrabber" situation...
Just up the hill a little ways, we were in a car coming home & we saw what must be the most well-fed (huge) black bear crossing a neighbour's yard. Looks like a full size fridge, seriously.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Yah... a few people in my neighbourhood have sighted a coyote or two... though its a rare sight compared to fox. That is why both me & hubby want a Great Pry to guard our livestock.

I think if the wolf/coyote/wilddog whatever it is... its best just to leave them alone so long nothing is hurt.
BUT... if something is hurt like a livestock... well then it justify taking care of it then.

I do hear of some cases where these wild animals are even partially domesticated & even bred with the HO's dogs... now would be a shame to kill off an animal already partially tamed & only coming close to humans just out of curiosity.

Now... if you hear a whole pack howling...
Then, its time to load & shoot for the JIC human attacks (especially with small children around) I would think.

Coyotes' main food is the mouse. They will eat larger animals if they can but they're looking for a safe and easy kill; they're not stupid. A donkey makes a far better guardian of livestock than a dog and has no interest in playing with coyotes.

Many years ago my aunt and uncle found a little lost and pathetic puppy in western Kansas. They took her home to Illinois where their vet told them they had a little coyote. They had her for fourteen years and she was just like a dog. She had toys; she loved to play with dogs and never tried to harm one; she got along fine with cats as well. Coyotes in the wild often do just want to play. Like other predators the play instinct never disappears. They're curious as well. Many a hiker has had a coyote join him. Needless to say, they get into a lot of trouble this way.

Don't be afraid when you hear a pack howling. They do it all the time. I frequently hear them where I live. I'm happy when they're around because the keep the mouse population down.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Comparing wolves and coyotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living