Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

When will people ever learn? Don't be foolish enough to leave your car unlocked. Some people even go further crazy by leaving their car keys in the ignition.
Stillwater police: Lock your car » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 AM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
Some people will never learn.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 AM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
A friend of ours lives in NYC but owns some property in our small town. Every time he would come here 'to the sticks' he would leave the car keys in the ignition and the front door unlocked. Because, after all, this town "isn't The City!". Getting his car stolen while he was here in the sticks curbed those tendencies a bit

Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Stillwater is 46,000 in population. That is a small city, not a small town. I will agree that a person should lock their vehicle regardless of the size of village/town/city they live in.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
We've gone off and left the house unlocked quite a few times. I had a good idea we had good neighbors the first week we moved in this house. I have 2 very old Schwin 3 speed bicycles that need some repair. Hadn't had a chance to put them in the shed yet, so they were leaning against the shed. The next morning, as I was leaving, our next door neighbor flagged me down. He and another neighbor had seen a couple men trying to take the bicycles and scared them off. Called the sheriff's office and the men were caught with numerous bikes from around town in their van. I hadn't even had a chance to introduce myself to my neighbors and they were looking out for me.
And we never lock our cars. Never leave anything worth taking in them and, if somebody wants to steal it bad enough, a locked door won't stop them.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
About five years ago DH and were sound asleep when I heard his work pickup turn over out in the driveway.
It was something like 2AM, we lived on a ranch 12 miles from pavement and three miles from our nearest neighbor. The only road that ran through the place was a private trail (though it did connect two county roads).
I shot up in bed, jabbed him in the side and said "Someone's stealing your pickup!!
Why on earth would someone want to steal your pickup?!?!" (it was a 20 year old, beat up, Chevy flatbed with no muffler, which is why we heard it start. lol)

He raced out the door in just his shorts, with me about five steps behind with a shotgun.

Turns out a drunk had wandered onto our road and gotten his own pickup stuck. He was just going to "borrow" ours to pull himself out.
Needless to say, we still don't lock the doors, but we DO pull the keys.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
PS: In my part of the world, 46,000 would be the third largest city in the state! lol I lock my doors when I just go into "town" (about 600) for the simple fact that I don't want one of the high school kids getting a wild hair and deciding to hide my vehicle.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I still leave my keys in my door (on outside of house). That way I know where they are when I leave.

I have several cars that don't lock OR need a key to run. Keys are a hassle. Just install a push button. For theft deterrent you can mount the button under the dash.

I hear it is a good idea to lock your vehicle if you have a gun inside. Guess I will need to get an upgrade vehicle if I need one that locks.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We've gone off and left the house unlocked quite a few times. I had a good idea we had good neighbors the first week we moved in this house. I have 2 very old Schwin 3 speed bicycles that need some repair. Hadn't had a chance to put them in the shed yet, so they were leaning against the shed. The next morning, as I was leaving, our next door neighbor flagged me down. He and another neighbor had seen a couple men trying to take the bicycles and scared them off. Called the sheriff's office and the men were caught with numerous bikes from around town in their van. I hadn't even had a chance to introduce myself to my neighbors and they were looking out for me.
And we never lock our cars. Never leave anything worth taking in them and, if somebody wants to steal it bad enough, a locked door won't stop them.
Exactly!

Where I'm from, the worst crime was someone killing their own father, but little to no "crime crime". I've always left the car unlocked; but then again I've always had less than flashy cars (except for my 1st car, it was a '65 Stang), and I agree with kygman; if they want it bad enough, they WILL get in and steal it.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
In one suburb around here, teens were vandalizing cars, they would squirt lighter fluid in the seats, then throw a lit match in there and run. Yikes! They eventually caught them. So LOCK your cars even in your own driveway.
And we moved out to an unincorporated area from the city, in my opinion, the vandalism is WAY worse out here. Lots more bored kids. Can't say how many times we have been vandalized, our rural mailboxes have taken some beatings too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living