Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times

Advertisements

A question for you...do you post it simply because you do not want activities that could alter the land (parties, motorized recreation, etc.), or do you post it because you want the land ALL TO YOURSELF and do not want ANYBODY on the land?

Would you be okay with the occasional (say, once every three days) passerby one of the trails that traditionally existed on your land, and does not come in view of any house?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
I post the land so I can control visitors on my property. I have seen way to many trail access that have turned in to lanes, to roads to party yards. I have a friend who allowed hunters to cross to state land as was traditional until some bullet came through his house. I have seen customary permission to acces turn into some rights to do as they want. basically my lawyer said post the land and allow by permission and control that permission otherwise someone will abuse it.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
A question for you...do you post it simply because you do not want activities that could alter the land (parties, motorized recreation, etc.), or do you post it because you want the land ALL TO YOURSELF and do not want ANYBODY on the land?

Would you be okay with the occasional (say, once every three days) passerby one of the trails that traditionally existed on your land, and does not come in view of any house?

My dad did this for a couple of reasons: First - he didn't want any hunters on the property - we enjoyed the peace and quiet and having the wild animals around us (deer, pheasant, quails, etc.), secondly, he had a barn where he stored equipment for the horses, tools, etc and didn't want it messed with, thirdly - if someone gets hurt on your property you are looking at a lawsuit - regardless, and lastly - private property means just that - it belongs to someone else, is not public domain, you have no business trespassing on someone else's property. If you want to hike or party - either go to a state park or buy your own property. Nowadays you could potentially have squatters or worse "living" on your property and you not even be aware of it, or someone using your land to grow their private "cash crop" and if LEO's find it - try and prove it's not yours....I totally agree with the reasoning and would enforce it myself if I owned the old homestead now, but I don't. Just my opinion, mind you....

Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
I want to protect my land and the wild animals on my land. My property is my sanctuary and I want to keep it that way.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Yes my friends have property in the hills of north carolina and the first time she found a wounded buck (deer) on her land and had to end its life she put up the sign no trespassing and then one year she had an arrow go through her window luckily no one was home and it hit one of the studs in the wall . She has since put up electric fencing and wiring and no one comes on her land now and yes it is her sanctuary and she even has a lake on it where she swims every summer if she feels the need and she has seen plenty of deer drinking from the lake . This is her peace . I totally understand no trespassing and if I had land you had better believe I would have that sign up too .

Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 AM

229 posts, read 439,759 times
Someone wanting "occasional" use of my land had darned well better find out who owns it and contact me to ask if I mind. Otherwise, they might meet up with something they aren't expecting while wandering in the woods.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
She has since put up electric fencing and wiring and no one comes on her land now
I don't know the layout of her land but fencing like that is dangerous for both man and beast. A nice young fawn running behind its mom gets clipped in the neck by a fence that can't be seen?
Ele. fence is so easy for humans to get through it's not even worth the effort.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

When you contribute to the purchase price and taxes on my land, you can enter. I'm waiting.

Of course I want it "all to myself." I PAID for it. I PAY for it all year long.

You mind if I occasionally come over and borrow your car for a few days from time to time, without meeting you or asking you? Or do you want your car ALL TO YOURSELF?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I don't know the layout of her land but fencing like that is dangerous for both man and beast. A nice young fawn running behind its mom gets clipped in the neck by a fence that can't be seen?
Ele. fence is so easy for humans to get through it's not even worth the effort.
The whole piece of her land is not electrical mainly it is only by the driveway and and close to the road where most deers dont roam to anyways . her house is close to the main road but her lake and her mountain behind her are way away from the electric fence . No deer has ever been cliped by that fence in the 16 yrs that she has lived there !!! she enjoys her swim and her deer and her bears that come down there . She has never been injured by any wild animal in the 16 yrs either .

Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
When you contribute to the purchase price and taxes on my land, you can enter. I'm waiting.

Of course I want it "all to myself." I PAID for it. I PAY for it all year long.

You mind if I occasionally come over and borrow your car for a few days from time to time, without meeting you or asking you? Or do you want your car ALL TO YOURSELF?
exactly you pay for it and continue to pay for it yearly then you can have it all to yourself .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living