Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i have this dream of owning a large track of land in america where i could keep angus cattle , however , ive been led to believe that cattle in america stay indoors all year round and eat corn , why is that , surely in somewhere like washington state , its possible to keep cattle on pasture for most of the year , if im wrong in my assumptions , how much is an acre of pasture land in somewhere like the pacific north west

thanks
You should do a little bit of research about the cattle business if you are serious.

I think you have confused American Cattle with American CHILDREN. The children stay indoors year round and graze on corn products and HFC (High fructose corn syrup) which is why they are all very plump...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You should do a little bit of research about the cattle business if you are serious.

I think you have confused American Cattle with American CHILDREN. The children stay indoors year round and graze on corn products and HFC (High fructose corn syrup) which is why they are all very plump...
gottcha

Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

lol Wartrace.

In Kentucky, you see the horses and cows outside all winter long, grazing on grass, etc.
(From what I have heard though, the big Commercialized farms may do that, with the corn, and
keeping the animals locked up in small places for a long time.)

Price per acre would depend on where the farm acreage was, I would imagine, like someone said earlier,
I live in Lexington, and farms are very expensive here in the bluegrass region of our state. But other parts of Kentucky, the land is dirt cheap. I am sure that farm land is much more expensive in the very fertile midwest, probably not so much in some other places.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 AM

428 posts, read 643,685 times
i'm a vermonter and in my state it seems the only dairy farmers who are making a living are either following the giant agri-business model or finding a niche for themselves with organics or cheese or something which sets them apart.

fwiw i believe goat meat will become big here, as the land easily supports goats with plenty of browse and there are bazillions of goat eating folk in the three biggest and closest cities.
montreal, albany and boston all host large populations of middle eastern, island and south american people, all of whom eat goat regularly.
and goat is pretty delicious after all, and i find them very easy to keep if the fencing is adequate.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i have this dream of owning a large track of land in america where i could keep angus cattle , however , ive been led to believe that cattle in america stay indoors all year round and eat corn , why is that , surely in somewhere like washington state , its possible to keep cattle on pasture for most of the year , if im wrong in my assumptions , how much is an acre of pasture land in somewhere like the pacific north west

thanks
I'm not sure about the Pacific Northwest but here in Wartrace Tennessee cattle land is selling cheaper than it has for years. A 192 acre track across the road from me sold at auction for 1800 an acre two years ago. There are a lot of large tracts of land posted for sale (some reasonable some not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living