Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,133,278 times

Advertisements

Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Just be willing to give us country folk a chance. Please understand that we may not have fancy words or ideas about how we live. Don't look down your noses at us untill you understand that our ideas work in our lifestyle. If you can do this, you will find that you are welcomed and accepted. Understand that lifestyles are a tradeoff. Welcome to whatever rural area you have moved to, keep the open mind, and you will be fine.
Love this. Moved to rural Missouri three years ago, and we love it. We don't want to change things, and admire our neighbors just the way they are. We have made some true friends here. We all watch out for and care for each other here. It's wonderful!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 AM

9,881 posts, read 9,481,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Love this. Moved to rural Missouri three years ago, and we love it. We don't want to change things, and admire our neighbors just the way they are. We have made some true friends here. We all watch out for and care for each other here. It's wonderful!
Hey I'd like to hear about Missouri, I was inquiring about it, so far I've been to Hannibal. I love the people and how they are there, very nice, except i hear it is very humid in summer,, theres got to be some hope for me though - when I retire I want to live somewhether other than Illlinois for its many reasons which makes this otherwise nice state - not so nice.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yup, retired here from ''the big city'', and while thankfully it's not everywhere, there is a fair amount of "locals only" kinda attitude in certain stores, especially the smaller ones. And often it shows up as a certain suspicious ''attitude'' and a definite lack of ''professionalism'', which reminds me of any family business where everyone knows everyone else and they just kinda do things the way they've always done it... which is usually by ''their rules'' to begin with!

And for some of 'em, there doesn't seem to be any kinda ''peace offering'' or amount of friendliness that'll change that ''good ole boy'' mentality... they just gotta get to know 'ya over time. So, yeah, there are a whole bunch of stores here where I don't feel like putting up with the attitude and the hassle, which is too bad, 'cuz I really believe in ''shopping local'' (and the locals aren't doing so well, particularly in this economy). Although fortunately there's also a fair-size city not too far, with big-box stores where you can still spend your money and get decent, courteous service, even if it looks like ''you ain't from around here''!
I think I've discovered the cause of your problems with these stores, and I don't think it's with the attitude of the people in the stores that it lies.

If you read this thread, you'll note that SOME people that move to the country and small towns bring with them an attitude that the way things are done where they came from, in other words, the way THEY'VE always done it is the only way, and any way that doesn't match that must be "unprofessional" and thus must be changed to suit them or it's unacceptable. Even if they say nothing, their attitude is pretty obvious, and it's not surprising, then, that the people they've decided are somehow less, by their lights, would not be as welcoming as the newcomer feels they obviously deserve.

So, get over your attitude that "professional" by your lights coming from the city where things are done one way, the way they've (you've) always done it, is the only way or is even unprofessional, come to that. Think of it as going to another country. You know the old saying about Rome, right? And you know about ugly Americans, going to other countries and complaining and trying to change the way things have been done successfully for a thousand years or more?

Don't be an ugly American in your own country.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,703,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yup, retired here from ''the big city'', and while thankfully it's not everywhere, there is a fair amount of "locals only" kinda attitude in certain stores, especially the smaller ones. And often it shows up as a certain suspicious ''attitude'' and a definite lack of ''professionalism'', which reminds me of any family business where everyone knows everyone else and they just kinda do things the way they've always done it... which is usually by ''their rules'' to begin with!

And for some of 'em, there doesn't seem to be any kinda ''peace offering'' or amount of friendliness that'll change that ''good ole boy'' mentality... they just gotta get to know 'ya over time. So, yeah, there are a whole bunch of stores here where I don't feel like putting up with the attitude and the hassle, which is too bad, 'cuz I really believe in ''shopping local'' (and the locals aren't doing so well, particularly in this economy). Although fortunately there's also a fair-size city not too far, with big-box stores where you can still spend your money and get decent, courteous service, even if it looks like ''you ain't from around here''!
Sometimes I regret not moving back sooner (say my 30s) because the things I encounter that border on disrespect in my hometown bug me more now that I'm older. I have no patience for the little head games and the playground politics that some of the locals seem to enjoy playing.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hey I'd like to hear about Missouri, I was inquiring about it, so far I've been to Hannibal. I love the people and how they are there, very nice, except i hear it is very humid in summer,, theres got to be some hope for me though - when I retire I want to live somewhether other than Illlinois for its many reasons which makes this otherwise nice state - not so nice.
Try the Missouri threads...lots of information for newcomers there.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,481,683 times
TAMBRE - thank you - im gleaning all the info i can next summer i will take another trip down there just to see AND maybe go in July where i can test the weather! i've learned so much already.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,610,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think I've discovered the cause of your problems with these stores, and I don't think it's with the attitude of the people in the stores that it lies.

If you read this thread, you'll note that SOME people that move to the country and small towns bring with them an attitude that the way things are done where they came from, in other words, the way THEY'VE always done it is the only way, and any way that doesn't match that must be "unprofessional" and thus must be changed to suit them or it's unacceptable. Even if they say nothing, their attitude is pretty obvious, and it's not surprising, then, that the people they've decided are somehow less, by their lights, would not be as welcoming as the newcomer feels they obviously deserve.

So, get over your attitude that "professional" by your lights coming from the city where things are done one way, the way they've (you've) always done it, is the only way or is even unprofessional, come to that. Think of it as going to another country. You know the old saying about Rome, right? And you know about ugly Americans, going to other countries and complaining and trying to change the way things have been done successfully for a thousand years or more?

Don't be an ugly American in your own country.
So, I got a speeding ticket in our small town some time ago (I was VERY new, now I am just ALMOST VERY new). Talked with some local friends of mine and neighbors and the first thing they told me is "the local cops know me, they know my car so they won't stop me anymore, you are too new, wait until you have spent 5+ years here....". That;s the kind of lack of professionalism that I care about. The locals are happy to fill the town/county coffers with outsiders' money and **** on them in internal conversations but otherwise stick together like flies and s*it.

I can give you countless examples. Well, I really don't have to, you are a realtor, you should not what kind of land can be sold to an outsider (the kind that nobody local wants to own at a price nobody local would be willing to pay...).

OD

Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,145 times
Wink Highfalutin' ? how about Lowfalutin' ?

I was a city folk of sorts when I moved to a small town but I sure as heck wasn't Highfalutin' ~~~, in fact I was fairly Lowfalutin' !!!
I moved from San Diego to northwestern Montana with no place to go and no job to work at.
We had $2,000 cash and two rigs loaded up like the Beverly Hillbillies. We were down to nothing by the time I found work. Now we own businesses and are poised to buy another property. Montana is good to the Lowfalutin' folks it seems but I've never worked so hard in my life to make things work out for us here.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,611,365 times
Yes, I couldn't agree more. Don't "city-fy" the country. The two are opposites for a reason and may they always be. On the other hand, one very seldom has to be concerned with "country-fying" the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living