Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Very early in US History we separated ownership of land from ownership of the game that lived on the land. The people that colonized this country had been starved by not being allowed to hunt "the King's or land owner's" game on dear old Britain and specifically set out to make game free for anyone to hunt. "Private property" is not unlimited in this country and never has been. So get used to a few hunters now and then. The thin the deer herds and just might give you some venison as a courtesy.

I have never understood the attitude of “this land is MINE” absolutely and everyone else is excluded. My attitude is although I own this land and I don’t mind if you use some that I am not using right now so long as you do not damage it or try to claim it. You can hunt or trail ride or snowmobile but never shoot in the direction of the house and shut your machines down before 10 at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I've never encountered anyone who "hates" anyone from bigger cities in the smaller towns here, since our "big" cities are fairly small in my state. I have, however, encountered plenty of anti-California sentiment. People joke about Arizonans and Texans, but it's the Californians that people really dislike here.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Just curious, why does it bother you that the wildlife can't drink the water? (I agree with you but maybe we agree for different reasons). Most wildlife gets hunted down anyways. Wyoming is about to get the open season on wolves unless the Feds do something about it.

OD
The fact that people, including me, hunt does not mean we don't care for animals. All animals. It is cruel to not leave watering holes and creeks open for access by wildlife. For more than a few people wild game meat feeds their families. No one, not ranchers, not tourists, not hunters, want to eradicate wildlife. Even the people who move here for the scenery don't want wildlife to cease to exist. They just object to animals voiding in their yards and muddying their water areas. Then don't move into the native habitat of wildlife!

Wyoming is not getting "open season" on wolves. They are getting a regulated hunting season.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
The fact that people, including me, hunt does not mean we don't care for animals. All animals. It is cruel to not leave watering holes and creeks open for access by wildlife. For more than a few people wild game meat feeds their families. No one, not ranchers, not tourists, not hunters, want to eradicate wildlife. Even the people who move here for the scenery don't want wildlife to cease to exist. They just object to animals voiding in their yards and muddying their water areas. Then don't move into the native habitat of wildlife!

Wyoming is not getting "open season" on wolves. They are getting a regulated hunting season.
I have scat from all sorts of animals in my "yard". So what?

I wish I could attract more coyotes. There are Deer Mice all over the place including my vehicles. I have live traps in each vehicle and rarely go for more than a couple days without catching one or more. But at least there aren't any in the house.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:05 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I wish I could attract more coyotes. There are Deer Mice all over the place including my vehicles. I have live traps in each vehicle and rarely go for more than a couple days without catching one or more. But at least there aren't any in the house.
For deer mice, the fox is better then the coyote. Where coyotes have come into areas, they eliminate the fox which causes an explosion in the deer mice population.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

I guess the wolves all shot themselves around United States. So did the buffalo. Eagles too (they put themselves on the endangered list).

Ranchers are number one reason why wolves are gone (cattle).

I have no beef with someone shooting an elk or deer to feed their family once or twice a year. Come to Texas, native wildlife is not enough, the bigger business is shooting exotics on various game ranches around the state, it's a blooming business of blood sport and cruelty.

You shoot animals 'cause you love 'em? What makes your dog so different than the deer?

Why take photos of a bloody buck with the horns in the air if you are catching it for food? If it is food you would quietly do the deed and eat the thing for the rest of the year. Most people today hunt for pleasure. There are thousands of of foods and meats thrown away daily because nobody bought them.

Wyoming has precious few wolves after years of trying to protect them and raise their numbers. Open season, controlled season, they are as good as gone.

OD

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Very early in US History we separated ownership of land from ownership of the game that lived on the land. The people that colonized this country had been starved by not being allowed to hunt "the King's or land owner's" game on dear old Britain and specifically set out to make game free for anyone to hunt. "Private property" is not unlimited in this country and never has been. So get used to a few hunters now and then. The thin the deer herds and just might give you some venison as a courtesy.

I have never understood the attitude of “this land is MINE†absolutely and everyone else is excluded. My attitude is although I own this land and I don’t mind if you use some that I am not using right now so long as you do not damage it or try to claim it. You can hunt or trail ride or snowmobile but never shoot in the direction of the house and shut your machines down before 10 at night.
Excuse me, but you do not get to hunt on my land without my permission, for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the right to own property (which is what we got rid of, you're a bit confused about that - not all land is the King's or the lord's or the government's land these days, we get to own our own and state what is allowed on it) and, in this litigious day, liability. I have no problem with people hunting on their land next to mine or hunting on my land with my permission, but I have a very big problem with people hunting on my land without permission. On our land in East Texas (the old family farm that's been in the family since the 1800's), we do not allow hunting without permission, because of people who have come on, trashed the land, and shot endangered wolves who were hurting no one, including the cattle and calves that grazed the land because the wolves had plenty of their natural prey.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I bought in a rural area and I get along fine although there are some things people do that **** me off from time to time.

1) Ride their four wheelers up and done the roadway. These things are very loud and I can hear them inside my house which is 300 yards off the road. It is illegal to ride on the roads in Tennessee and I do not appreciate the disturbance. What it is are people that live out here on small lots that figure they should buy a fourwheeler since they live in the country but they don't have anywhere to ride them. I normally keep my gates locked but a couple of times they have started "exploring" my land.

2) People around here have incredibly loud vehicles. It is not uncommon for some idiot to ride around in a pickup you can hear from a mile away. I don't know what that's all about but it shows an incredible lack of respect towards other people.

3) Poachers. I have watched three times late at night where someone jacklights deer that are on MY property. It is useless to call the game people and I do not feel it would be wise to confront them myself as I am sure alcohol is involved. I have also stopped people during hunting season on my land.

4) Methheads- Plenty of methheads around here. They will steal anything that isn't locked up.

5) People are slobs. We have free dumps sites in every town but it never fails that people will have a load of crap and decide to just dump it on the side of the road. The dump will take ANYTHING but these idiots can't be bothered to take it there. Another issue is slobs that will load up their household trash in the back of a pickup without securing it. They leave a trail of trash all the way to the dump alongside the road. One time I found a bag with an address in it- I went back and dumped it in their front yard.
ALSO people will dump unwanted animals on you. I already have six dogs so I end up having to take THEIR PROBLEM to the pound.
This....I can't understand this at all. I live in a destination/tourist town and the past few years it has been dwindling. The economy is part of it but that is a whole nother story. We have FREE recycling bins and a transfer station and people don't untilize them. So you have dead limbs, trash, junk/aka broken down equipment all over and they wonder why people who visit put on public forums that the area is "junky, white trashy, unkempt, etc". It is really disheartening to see that. Are people that lazy? Guess so. And instead of dog problems, the area has a HUGE unwanted cat issue. They are everywhere. Why can't people get them fixed...oh, that's right, they are lazy.

Getting on subject of the post, I moved from the city to a rural setting even though I live in a neighborhood. I find it interesting the attitude of some of the people in the area. They don't like outsiders much because they try to "change" things, which in some cases may be true, but not all. It seems like they are stuck in this mindset and are light years behind everyone else. I haven't really encountered rude people, just standoffish when I tell them I moved from "the big city"....even though I am a native of the state and only live an hour from where I grew up, it doesn't matter to them. Frankly, the people that have been friendlier are the people who are in a similiar situation as me, who moved there. I'm not saying that all the locals are unfriendly, it just stands out in your mind the few who are. All in all, I realize that no place is perfect and that said, I wouldn't move back to the city. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, for me at least.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I guess the wolves all shot themselves around United States. So did the buffalo. Eagles too (they put themselves on the endangered list).

Ranchers are number one reason why wolves are gone (cattle).

I have no beef with someone shooting an elk or deer to feed their family once or twice a year. Come to Texas, native wildlife is not enough, the bigger business is shooting exotics on various game ranches around the state, it's a blooming business of blood sport and cruelty.

You shoot animals 'cause you love 'em? What makes your dog so different than the deer?

Why take photos of a bloody buck with the horns in the air if you are catching it for food? If it is food you would quietly do the deed and eat the thing for the rest of the year. Most people today hunt for pleasure. There are thousands of of foods and meats thrown away daily because nobody bought them.

Wyoming has precious few wolves after years of trying to protect them and raise their numbers. Open season, controlled season, they are as good as gone.

OD
Farmers and ranchers wanted the wildlife gone. It was hunters who started the conservation movement and saved these species from going entirely extinct. Theodore Roosevelt was one of the best presidents we ever had in terms of conservation work, and he was probably the most avid hunter of all our presidents. Every year so many animals are going to die out of a population in any given area because of a lack of food, etc., and the idea behind game management is to have hunters take no more than that number. Not enough are taken here and I see starved, frozen deer every winter in the woods here. I think protecting the wolves out West after they'd met the recovery goals from any and all hunting, essentially doomed the restoration of several species to the Eastern states. Reintroducing wolves, cougars, marten, even caribou and elk, is no longer taken seriously in my state and neighboring states. Everyone's afraid of what happened out West with the wolves.

The most dangerous people to our wildlife are probably the suburbanites moving further and further into the country building mcmansions and who see the wildlife as mere pests eating their landscaping.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Excuse me, but you do not get to hunt on my land without my permission, for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the right to own property (which is what we got rid of, you're a bit confused about that - not all land is the King's or the lord's or the government's land these days, we get to own our own and state what is allowed on it) and, in this litigious day, liability. I have no problem with people hunting on their land next to mine or hunting on my land with my permission, but I have a very big problem with people hunting on my land without permission. On our land in East Texas (the old family farm that's been in the family since the 1800's), we do not allow hunting without permission, because of people who have come on, trashed the land, and shot endangered wolves who were hurting no one, including the cattle and calves that grazed the land because the wolves had plenty of their natural prey.
Out of Texas, the land of hunting leases which makes hunting a rich man's sport like Europe.

The game doesn't belong to the landowner, nor, when you get into the details, does the landowner actually own the land. Unless you're one of the few in Texas with allodial title to your land. Don't pay your rent and the landlord (the government) will take what you think is yours.

The way it works here is when a person doesn't want hunters, they must post their land. The signs must be of a certain size and wording, a certain distance apart, and signed and dated with the current year and registered with the town clerk. Anything not legally posted is fair game. It's a very old tradition here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living