Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Janitor? I thought everyone in a real rural area is either a farmer or a rancher?
Children's indoctrination centers (government schools) always have janitors. Do you think the parasite elite would dirty their hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How many people have encountered this attitude?

I've encountered this attitude many times reading about rural areas, and in real life (being a resident of a "rural" area).

The simple fact is this divide exists. Urbanites, especially wealthy urbanites, are often portrayed as having a much different attitude than life-long residents of rural areas. Urbanites often establish a retirement or vacation or permanent home in rural areas seeking "peace" and "tranquility", only to find that they cannot take their nature hike on their newly-purchased acreage because it's hunting season and the risk of stray bullets hitting them is worse than in the toughest urban ghetto, or to discover on their weekend retreat that the "serene" and "ecologically precious" trails running through their wooded country estate have ruts in them from youth on ATVs and dirt bikes.

What do you think of this? City-people who have moved or established a home country-side, what was your perception of the natives, and was there any culture shock? Did you bridge it, and if you did, what did your "peace offering" consist of?
Western Montana is the most extreme example of this I've ever seen. There is a flat-out hostility toward out of state people. Californians and people from "back east" (meaning outside of Montana) are the enemy. While it is true that wealthy people moving in have bought up lots of property and the cost of living has gone up, much of the hostility is a bit misplaced. The area would be very inbred if people didn't move in since it is a sin to move out of the area. It's a double-edged sword there.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Western Montana is the most extreme example of this I've ever seen. There is a flat-out hostility toward out of state people. Californians and people from "back east" (meaning outside of Montana) are the enemy. While it is true that wealthy people moving in have bought up lots of property and the cost of living has gone up, much of the hostility is a bit misplaced. The area would be very inbred if people didn't move in since it is a sin to move out of the area. It's a double-edged sword there.
Instead of griping about newcomers buying the best property the people who complain should work towards buying it themselves if they wish to use it. The property owner makes the rules. That's the foundation of our society. Those who trespass and violate my property are no better than Communists.

I'm glad I chose Wyoming.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Instead of griping about newcomers buying the best property the people who complain should work towards buying it themselves if they wish to use it. The property owner makes the rules. That's the foundation of our society. Those who trespass and violate my property are no better than Communists.

You make me glad I didn't.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Not quite sure I understand the communist sentence, but one of the things I like about Wyoming is that Wyomingites don't gripe nearly as much about this sort of thing. I also like that people from out of state (like me) are accepted by the locals as long as they work hard and are down to earth.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
We moved here in the early 1970s. Every time a farm sells to a developer near me, I want to cry. Mostly, the young kids know how hard the life is and want to do something else. It was a rural road when we bought; the homes on the road were built by members of the family who farmed here -- many by the last generation of farming kids, in the 1950s. We still back up to a hay/corn farmer, we still can hunt on our land -- and the new development NIMBYS ( living on 60X120 ft. lots instead of acreage) in town flip out when town has enough sense to close the bike trail in deer season -- Sadly, I think the few working farms in town won't be here long; the farmers are up in age and grandkids are helping. I get absolutely amazed when the NIMBYS want to plant flowers in the dry (most of the time) or put a shed in/near the water retention/detention ponds needed in their developments -- as much as people explain it to them, they still have no clue that their homes' asphalt and cement are taking up land where water SHOULD fall and soak in, so they need the ponds. The ponds do not need flower beds or sheds near them....There should be a class for anyone who is clueless about semi-rural/rural living before they can move to an area other than a tight squeezed suburb.... I hate it when they hit the deer , really hate it when they hit skunks, truly wish they'd hit the coyotes.... and get frustrated that they do not know wild gees are going to poop on their lawn. It's nature, for crying out loud. If you don't like it... don't come. Even worse? Once they come, they need a fence (seems its always 6 ft. tall) to make sure the kids and dog are safe! [We have over 4 acres, no sidewalks, wildlife, huntable land and our daughters were simply told: don't go where it is too wooded or animals are making dens, don't run in the road, stay in in hunting season -- and they both made their 30s in total safety!]

Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Not quite sure I understand the communist sentence, but one of the things I like about Wyoming is that Wyomingites don't gripe nearly as much about this sort of thing. I also like that people from out of state (like me) are accepted by the locals as long as they work hard and are down to earth.
Communists have always violated people's property. That's the same thing trespassers do. Neither respects ownership.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
We moved here in the early 1970s. Every time a farm sells to a developer near me, I want to cry. Mostly, the young kids know how hard the life is and want to do something else. It was a rural road when we bought; the homes on the road were built by members of the family who farmed here -- many by the last generation of farming kids, in the 1950s. We still back up to a hay/corn farmer, we still can hunt on our land -- and the new development NIMBYS ( living on 60X120 ft. lots instead of acreage) in town flip out when town has enough sense to close the bike trail in deer season -- Sadly, I think the few working farms in town won't be here long; the farmers are up in age and grandkids are helping. I get absolutely amazed when the NIMBYS want to plant flowers in the dry (most of the time) or put a shed in/near the water retention/detention ponds needed in their developments -- as much as people explain it to them, they still have no clue that their homes' asphalt and cement are taking up land where water SHOULD fall and soak in, so they need the ponds. The ponds do not need flower beds or sheds near them....There should be a class for anyone who is clueless about semi-rural/rural living before they can move to an area other than a tight squeezed suburb.... I hate it when they hit the deer , really hate it when they hit skunks, truly wish they'd hit the coyotes.... and get frustrated that they do not know wild gees are going to poop on their lawn. It's nature, for crying out loud. If you don't like it... don't come. Even worse? Once they come, they need a fence (seems its always 6 ft. tall) to make sure the kids and dog are safe! [We have over 4 acres, no sidewalks, wildlife, huntable land and our daughters were simply told: don't go where it is too wooded or animals are making dens, don't run in the road, stay in in hunting season -- and they both made their 30s in total safety!]
What did the coyote ever do to you? How come you are the one to decide what lives and what doesn't?

Some of your gripes are valid, however: majority rules. When an area gets all the "city" transplants who want to bring the city with them, eventually you will be the minority and it is time to leave. Remember, it's a free country?

This has been happening since the first settlers came to this country. Hello, the Native Indians lost all of their habitat to towns, acreages, cattle and farms.... Since I don't hunt and in fact, I hate hunting and people who take life for pleasure and sport (hunting for food is OK if you are hungry), I say ban it everywhere you can. Let wolves come back and take down the deer populations. Pay the ranchers for the few cattle they lose to the pack and shut them up. Or stop subsidizing some idiot raising cattle on land that cannot support it (60-100 acres per head out West? Please...) - why does the tax payer have to subsidize someone's lifestyle? If it ain't happenin....

OD

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I saw some places in the midwest recently that truly were trashy, nasty small towns 9and also some places that were nice). What I've always been used to in VT small towns outside of the rich touristy towns is quite a mix of often arrogant outsiders escaping the city and pretty normal rural people. Hunting is big here, ATV's are popular for getting deer out, etc., gunshots are common because target shooting is popular as a past time and practice for hunting, and there's a long tradition of unposted land being freely accessible for hiking, hunting and fishing. You'll find even the seemingly backwoods hunter/trapper in the woods here might be pretty well educated (as I am). There's a lot of respect here for nature and the land, but there's always some idiots who treat like a dumpster and that includes both outsiders from cities and local idiots. It might be the influence of Thoreau and Aldo Leopold coming out, but I don't see land as a commodity as metals or oil is at all, as it's what makes life possible at all. But then I don't consider our paper money to be worth anything either, and because of my study of 19th century history, I don't particularly think highly of capitalism either (but I hate as much the marxist who wants a big government doing what the capitalists did in the 1800's).

People who move to a place need to know what they're getting into and need to respect the local culture, is what it boils down to. If you want to hike here during deer season, expect to hear gunshots and for your own good wear bright orange because there's idiots in any group incl. hunters. Don't move to Warren's Gore, Vermont and expect sidewalks and streetlights.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Communists have always violated people's property. That's the same thing trespassers do. Neither respects ownership.
Understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living