Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,629,625 times

Advertisements

There's room for everybody of every taste. There are wilderness areas where all motorized vehicles are prohibited. There are places where an ATV is welcome. There are places where a person can shoot any kind of gun; there are other places, national parks and many state parks, where recreational shooting and hunting are prohibited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,639,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You can walk 20-30 MPH?

RURAL is called that for a reason.
I guess you and I call it different

Quote:
Also, ATV's can carry materials etc.
So can horses and mules

Quote:
I myself do not own one, but today I am laid up from the pain. I woke up screaming and gasping, I've hung upside down, used various medical devices, taken narcotics, traction, etc. And I still won't be doing anything much today except typing with one hand because part of the nerve damage sometime debilitates my limbs and my left arm is not working so well today.
Sorry to hear that

I've been there (pinched two nerves in my neck) but I still haven't considered an ATV as an option

Quote:
Don't like it... Buy more land so you don't have to hear it!
heh... The good old "buy one yourself" excuse

Maybe one day someone really rich buys all the land around you and they do something you don't like

OD

Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I guess you and I call it different

So can horses and mules

Sorry to hear that

I've been there (pinched two nerves in my neck) but I still haven't considered an ATV as an option

heh... The good old "buy one yourself" excuse

Maybe one day someone really rich buys all the land around you and they do something you don't like

OD

There is a reason ATV's replaced Horses etc... Upkeep, speed, practicality...

If someone rich buys up all the land around me and builds... well there's a reason I bought 80 acres and the ultimate plan is to build at the near-center...
(As well as an area where its unlikely anyone will do so due to topographical reasons)

And yes, this country was founded on private property ownership.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
To get back on topic, I think it's safe to say rural living can be cheaper in terms of cash money, your taxes are generally less, you can grow/forage/hunt/whatever some of your food, you can burn wood for heat. But, to get the benefit of cheaper rural living, you will have to invest a bit of sweat equity, generally.

It depends on what kind of lifestyle you want though - if someone wants to eat out most of the time, enjoy culture, etc. and is willing to not own a lot of "stuff", some cities can be pretty economical to live in.

The art of the deal is to adapt to the terrain.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,241,410 times
Quote:
There is a reason ATV's replaced Horses etc
ATVs haven't replaced horses...Maybe to a certain extent, but certainly not entirely!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
ATVs haven't replaced horses...Maybe to a certain extent, but certainly not entirely!

I should have said "The internal combustion engine "

150 years ago a vast majority of people had horses, there were places in cities to 'park' horses, there were places you could buy 'horse fuel', and there were 'rent-a-horse' places...

Are they still used in some places? Yes

Replaced: Absolutely.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Perhaps. But that wouldn't have made any sense in the conversation.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,639,036 times
Quote:

150 years ago a vast majority of people had horses, there were places in cities to 'park' horses, there were places you could buy 'horse fuel', and there were 'rent-a-horse' places...

Are they still used in some places? Yes

Replaced: Absolutely.
But we are talking about rural life. Ditching the car and going horse only is my 2-yr plan. I guess we all have different ideas of what rural life should be. Some people bring the city noise, smells and fumes with them to the country. When I lived in Florida I met a lot of folks who claimed they wanted to escape Jersey and New York and all the hustle and then you see them on the ocean raping it with a sea-doo (or whatever those ATV equivalents are called on the water). So much for avoiding the noises, smells and hustle....

I guess you are somewhat right though. Any farmer today worth his salt has a few ATVs (for doing "work" as well as entertaining the "young ones"), combine, tractor and a new dually and a bank loan behind it to boot. Nothing beats rural life like the ability to be away from the city but retain all the lifestyle AND have the ability to shoot and ride your ATV anywhere you want any darn time you please...

Oh wait, most rural folks don't farm! Or do they? I am confused

I guess it depends where you are. Most "rural folk" here sit in the deer stands all day waiting to get their kill. God help you if you interfere with THAT

OD

Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Perhaps. But that wouldn't have made any sense in the conversation.
Yes it would... They have those in ATV's

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM

They also have handlebars on ATVs, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the conversation, either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living